Cobalt won't turn on. Screen is black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to say how awesome it is that @RonR provides such great support here on SB.

I am looking forward to an announcement about an Atomic wrist computer someday.... :D

I just want to say how awesome it is that @RonR provides such great support here on SB.

I am looking forward to an announcement about an Atomic wrist computer someday.... :D

I have been assured that the new Scubapro H4, Deep 6 and Atomics Cobalt wrist computers will be released simultaneously. (On a planet far away)!

Thanks Stuart. The Cobalt user interface, firmware, and electronics design are kind of our baby.

No one is more anxious than we are to see the hoseless wrist computer get to market- we expected to see it out years ago. It seems as if the bigger a company gets (and the more things it has going on), the more time to takes to get projects through the pipe. I think we are making it to the front of the line now. It’s a unique product.

Ron

RonR, do you know if the hoseless wrist computer will be similiar to the Cobalt 2? same features and screen layout just in a wrist version? About how long before it hits the market?

Yes, it is very recognizably similar to the Cobalt console as far as the overall interface, still four buttons and the same basic screen logic. There are some interface differences due to the ability to monitor multiple gasses with multiple transmitters as well as in having a non-integrated mode. The dive log is more organized, and searchable by date. The planning function is designed to be more useful for planning decompression dives and is quicker to use than the Cobalt's simulator.
I don't want to say anything about dates, Atomic does not like to pre-announce products. And I have been wrong before. :( But the planned schedule we have from Atomic is getting short.

Ron

As a follow-up to the original post, I spoke this morning to the dive shop where the Cobalt was taken, and it was as suspected, a case of the battery being drained and not charged up enough to restart- something the LDS figured out without my help. After a charge it was back to Mermaidwannabe, who is en route to warm water for what I hope is an excellent trip.

Ron

Thanks RonR, I understand about not giving away dates. was just wondering if I should wait because I was just about to order a Cobalt 2 but if a wrist model is coming out I just want to be able to decide which one I would rather get. would you be able to give a window of time such as inside a couple months or are we talking near xmas? just an idea...

I have been assured that the new Scubapro H4, Deep 6 and Atomics Cobalt wrist computers will be released simultaneously. (On a planet far away)!

LOL You cheeky monkey! :wink:

Yes, it is very recognizably similar to the Cobalt console as far as the overall interface, still four buttons and the same basic screen logic. There are some interface differences due to the ability to monitor multiple gasses with multiple transmitters as well as in having a non-integrated mode. The dive log is more organized, and searchable by date. The planning function is designed to be more useful for planning decompression dives and is quicker to use than the Cobalt's simulator.
I don't want to say anything about dates, Atomic does not like to pre-announce products. And I have been wrong before. :( But the planned schedule we have from Atomic is getting short.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. Awesome news.

Are you at liberty to say anything about supported algorithms? Will it support Buhlmann ZHL-16B or C (with Gradient Factors)? Will it support trimix?

And the transmitter? Atomic-only design? Or will the computer work with the same PPS transmitters that many other brands of computer work with?

Last edited:
@RonR I am curious whether the PC interface software is being rewritten? The existing software is really bad unlike your (and Atomics) support which is incredible.

I guess I'm at liberty to say anything, I just don't want to say things that turn out not to be true.

@ stuartv The transmitter is a new Atomic design, based on acoustic technology, not RF. This allows buddy tracking out to some considerable distance, in (low)100's of feet, depending on obstructions and conditions. It could also allow tank pressures and divers to be monitored from a boat mounted receiver.
It is our intention to offer, in addition to the "folded" and fully iterative RGBM algorithms now in the Cobalt, an implementation of Bühlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors as well as trimix. This platform has always been designed to allow for multiple algorithms. I can't say for sure if this will make it into the first release. I hope so, but I have to put that down as a maybe right now.

@tridacna Um, yes, that's a sore point. We're big supporters of third party dive log developers as opposed to every manufacturer having some proprietary software, most of which is not very good. I have not heard of any plans to update the Windows app, and there never was one for Mac. But we have actively supported a range of dive log developers with the Cobalt and will do the same with the new wrist computer. For sure SubSurface, Diving Log 6, MacDive, Dive Log DT, and Divemate, who all work with the Cobalt now, and we're happy to help get others set up and running.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom