Cobra 3 USB Interface Cable -- It just quit working.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Interesting experience with the Suunto USB cable for my Cobra 3 (in the factory housing with quick release). Half way through a dive trip to Bonaire last week, I could no longer get my computer to go into "Data Transfer" mode when trying to download dives to MacDive. I wondered if the problem was built-up residue on the electric contacts (I'd been diving a lot!!) so I washed the Cobra in warm fresh water for 10 minutes, and dried all the contacts with a towel. No dice - no connection.

Thinking it was a problem with the software, I re-installed both MacDive and the required USB drivers but no-joy. The Cobra wouldn't detect a data connection and change modes. Then I tried downloading and installing the Suunto DM4 software for Mac. Still no recognition of the Cobra by the dive software. I consulted the internet and read a couple of instances where changing the Cobra battery solved the problem, so I changed the battery out for a new one ... but no connection could be established between the Mac and the Cobra.

That leaves only the mechanical / electrical connections. My best guess at this point is the wires inside the connector have become lose or broken. Since the cable is out of warranty (over 1 year old) I expect that I'm outta-luck when it comes to Suunto replacing it. Has anyone ever opened up the connector (Cobra end) and snapped a photo of the wiring connections on a working circuit board that they'd be willing to share? I really don't want to shell out another $100 for a USB cable.

I've had Suunto dive computers for most of my 15 years diving and this is the first problem I've ever had with any of their equipment.

Hey Suunto rep ---- any suggestions?!!

Thanks.

Craig.

I had exactly the same problem, I even bought a new cable, and still had the same problem!

Then I realized that it usually worked fine the next day, after the computer had dried thoroughly. You might have tried that already, and maybe it's just a notorious Suunto weak link... don't know if this is some sort of wonky connection on either the computer end or the cable end...

I had exactly the same problem, I even bought a new cable, and still had the same problem!

Then I realized that it usually worked fine the next day, after the computer had dried thoroughly. You might have tried that already, and maybe it's just a notorious Suunto weak link... don't know if this is some sort of wonky connection on either the computer end or the cable end...

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. :wink:

I tried multiple times ... and again when I got home after the Cobra had been out of the water for 48+ hours. To prove it is the cable, I'm going to take my MacBook to the local dive shop and try a new-in-box one. If it works, the thief is caught! If it doesn't .... back to the drawing board.

C.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. :wink:

I tried multiple times ... and again when I got home after the Cobra had been out of the water for 48+ hours. To prove it is the cable, I'm going to take my MacBook to the local dive shop and try a new-in-box one. If it works, the thief is caught! If it doesn't .... back to the drawing board.

C.

I think that it's just not a very well designed system, since the problem is intermittent and not restricted to one diver or computer. Surprising, since Suunto has a reputation for quality stuff...

I just bought a Shearwater Petrel, which also links up (using bluetooth), but I like logging the dives from the Vyper because it contains pressure data as well...

Mike

VicScubaVentures,

In the Suunto warranty policy, using 3rd party programs is restricted and is grounds to withdraw your warranty. I am not saying MacDive is what caused the issue, but it is a possibility. The best route would be to send your computer and cable to an authorized Suunto service center for evaluation. I have provided a link for you to locate the nearest authorized service center to you. Suunto Dealer Locator

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

VicScubaVentures,

In the Suunto warranty policy, using 3rd party programs is restricted and is grounds to withdraw your warranty. I am not saying MacDive is what caused the issue, but it is a possibility. The best route would be to send your computer and cable to an authorized Suunto service center for evaluation. I have provided a link for you to locate the nearest authorized service center to you. Suunto Dealer Locator

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Seriously? Downloading data is going to damage my dive computer?

No offense, but that seems like an excuse for the physical interface. It happens intermittently, and I can get it to work by jiggling or drying the contacts. You think that the MacDive download might be the problem..? To me that seems like a hardware problem.

While I do appreciate that Suunto finally released Mac compatible software (once you install Mono), MacDive is just an AWESOME program. The developer is incredibly helpful and responsive, and he seems to have been able to interface with a wide variety of computers.

The Vyper is my fourth Suunto computer, but I just bought a Petrel and I'm very happy. Syncs with bluetooth, too. Hey, it's 2013, after all...

:)

VicScubaVentures,

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Chris, I'm sorry to say that you just guaranteed that I will _NEVER_ buy another Suunto product, and will go out of my way to ensure that I warn everyone I can not to buy your products if they're built so poorly that after > 100 successful downloads between MacDive and the Cobra 3 (using the Suunto OEM USB cable) you're blaming the SOFTWARE for what is most likely a hardware failure.

Extremely poor effort to demonstrate any degree of the customer service that I'd come to expect from Suunto.

NEVER AGAIN.

Craig.

VicScubaVentures,

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Can you please elaborate on how / under what circumstances the use of third party software will compromise the hardware - either the computer or the cable?

I am curious as to the mechanism.

VicScubaVentures,

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Thanks, I'll be circulating this statement broadly and referring to it anytime someone asks about whether to buy a Suunto. The institutional arrogance is breathtaking.

Interesting experience with the Suunto USB cable for my Cobra 3 (in the factory housing with quick release). Half way through a dive trip to Bonaire last week, I could no longer get my computer to go into "Data Transfer" mode when trying to download dives to MacDive. I wondered if the problem was built-up residue on the electric contacts (I'd been diving a lot!!) so I washed the Cobra in warm fresh water for 10 minutes, and dried all the contacts with a towel. No dice - no connection.

Thinking it was a problem with the software, I re-installed both MacDive and the required USB drivers but no-joy. The Cobra wouldn't detect a data connection and change modes. Then I tried downloading and installing the Suunto DM4 software for Mac. Still no recognition of the Cobra by the dive software. I consulted the internet and read a couple of instances where changing the Cobra battery solved the problem, so I changed the battery out for a new one ... but no connection could be established between the Mac and the Cobra.

That leaves only the mechanical / electrical connections. My best guess at this point is the wires inside the connector have become lose or broken. Since the cable is out of warranty (over 1 year old) I expect that I'm outta-luck when it comes to Suunto replacing it. Has anyone ever opened up the connector (Cobra end) and snapped a photo of the wiring connections on a working circuit board that they'd be willing to share? I really don't want to shell out another $100 for a USB cable.

I've had Suunto dive computers for most of my 15 years diving and this is the first problem I've ever had with any of their equipment.

Hey Suunto rep ---- any suggestions?!!

Thanks.

Craig.

Hey Craig,

I'm nick (the author of MacDive). I'm currently away on vacation but I have intermittent access to email. Drop me a mail and we'll see if we can't figure out the problem and get you downloading again!

cheers
-nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom