Cobra 3 USB Interface Cable -- It just quit working.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirs,

I did not say that MacDive caused the issue, I only stated that it was a possibility. I have asked to send the unit and cable in to an authorized service center for evaluation. You have tried re-downloading the software, and cleaning the contacts, which are two good steps. The next step would be to have an authorized technician evaluate the computer and cable, where there issue could more than likely be resolved. I apologize for your displeasure with the Suunto warranty, but it does reference under "exclusions and limitations" about use of third party items/ software.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

image.jpg

Sirs,

I did not say that MacDive caused the issue, I only stated that it was a possibility.

Oh, I see...!

Funny thing, I took a chamber ride last year after a dive in which I didn't come close to NDLs according to my Vyper. Now I'm not SAYING that the Suunto caused me to get bent, I'm just stating (publicly, in an Internet forum) that it is a possibility.

I sincerely hope that my opinion published here, without anything to back it up or knowledge of the product involved, doesn't have any negative effect on people's opinion of Suunto's fine products.

:)

VicScubaVentures,

In the Suunto warranty policy, using 3rd party programs is restricted and is grounds to withdraw your warranty. I am not saying MacDive is what caused the issue, but it is a possibility. The best route would be to send your computer and cable to an authorized Suunto service center for evaluation. I have provided a link for you to locate the nearest authorized service center to you. Suunto Dealer Locator

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Yeah, you just cost yourself any future business from me. I have been diving an original Cobra for 10+ years and love it. However, this statement is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read....and I read ScubaBoard daily so that tells you just how bad this is. No way will I find myself in this position.

Sirs,

I did not say that MacDive caused the issue, I only stated that it was a possibility. I have asked to send the unit and cable in to an authorized service center for evaluation. You have tried re-downloading the software, and cleaning the contacts, which are two good steps. The next step would be to have an authorized technician evaluate the computer and cable, where there issue could more than likely be resolved. I apologize for your displeasure with the Suunto warranty, but it does reference under "exclusions and limitations" about use of third party items/ software.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

View attachment 167082

Not to get into a public fight with Chris@Suunto, but ....

The excerpt from Suunto's warranty that Chris provided DOES NOT say that the warranty can be voided by using 3rd party software, only that Sunnto does not warrant that their product will work with third party software / hardware.

I strongly suggest that you read and understand your own warranty information Chris. There's a big difference in both law and the English language between a warranty being unenforcable if: (#1 - #4), and the mftr not warranting that the product will work with 3rd party hardware / software.

After downloading and installing SUUNTO DM4 software from the SUUNTO website and failing to make a connection between the SUUNTO Cobra 3 and my MacBook using the SUUNTO OEM USB cable, I'd say that the warranty still applies, however, my cable is >1 year old and therefore out of warranty period.

Frustrated beyond belief.

Craig.
Master Scuba Diver Trainer
Victoria, BC, Canada

Sirs,

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

View attachment 167082

Keep digging.

But you might want to run your genius lay interpretation of "does not cover defects or alleged defects cause by the use with any product, accessory, software and/or service not manufactured or supplied by Suunto" as meaning "using 3rd party programs is restricted and is grounds to withdraw your warranty" past Legal. I'm sure your in-house counsel could use the laugh.

I also have had this issue, almost from the day I bought the download cable and Cobra 3. I have found that drying the unit completely, and sometimes having to wait overnight, the Cobra 3 will download. Oh, I use DM3 and keep DM4 current in case it ever catches up to the features in DM3 :D and get the same indications on both.

Just a quick follow up.

Since my cable was out of warranty anyway, and all that was standing between me and the truth were 2 small screws, I unscrewed the cover from the USB connector (that attaches to the dive computer) only to discover that just 1 of the 5 possible wires were still soldered to the circuit board. The remaining wires had obviously worked free, thus the complete failure of the cable regardless of which software was being used.

I think there's a manufacturing problem here .... no cord-keeper or gromet at the point where the USB cable exits the hard plastic connector means that each time the cable wiggles, it has the potential to weaken the solder attachments where the extremely thin wires attach to the circuit board inside the connector.

If someone has a working cable, outside of warranty, and feels like posting a photo of the connections between wire and circuit board should be laid out, perhaps I can get the cable working again with minimal headache and only a soldering iron?

Cheers,
C.

This was caused by third party software

Just a quick follow up.

Since my cable was out of warranty anyway, and all that was standing between me and the truth were 2 small screws, I unscrewed the cover from the USB connector (that attaches to the dive computer) only to discover that just 1 of the 5 possible wires were still soldered to the circuit board. The remaining wires had obviously worked free, thus the complete failure of the cable regardless of which software was being used.

I think there's a manufacturing problem here .... no cord-keeper or gromet at the point where the USB cable exits the hard plastic connector means that each time the cable wiggles, it has the potential to weaken the solder attachments where the extremely thin wires attach to the circuit board inside the connector.

If someone has a working cable, outside of warranty, and feels like posting a photo of the connections between wire and circuit board should be laid out, perhaps I can get the cable working again with minimal headache and only a soldering iron?

Cheers,
C.

just 1 of the 5 possible wires were still soldered to the circuit board. The remaining wires had obviously worked free, thus the complete failure of the cable regardless of which software was being used.

You say bug, they say feature :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom