Trip Report Coco View just getting better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Last month we returned to Cocoview and I am happy to report they just keep getting better. The original concept was great for those of us that just want to dive. 4-6 dives a day. Great, lite load boats. Great front yard. Comfy rooms and great service without pretense. That concept still reigns but is always refined to some degree. This year the food is once again a step forward. I say this as a rather good cook and food snob. Its not great, but is actually good. Much better than the pure sustenance of years before.
An airconditioned camera room has been added to the end of the dive lockers so you dont need to haul your gear back and forth from rooms.
Nothing is in disrepair (infact many locals are in constant employ). Fresh stain on the woodwork. the grounds swept daily. Etc.Etc.
This year was different on many levels. We stayed in CocoVilla. I had expected a roach haven with poor A/c. What we got was a beautifully crafted house. Solid and clean. All wood like the rest of the resort but obviously built for a full time resident, which is used to be. The rooms were large and comfortable. Fridge, microwave, TV, and Washer and Dryer! If you stay in the villa you really only need two pair of shorts and two shirts!
The house is about a 1/4 mile from the resort proper. It comes with dedicated beach cruisers. This may not sound great but it was. Barely enough distance to break a sweat but plenty of time to turn into a 9 year old. What a great way to start the day!
There is also a dedicated golf cart when needed.
The house comes with a grounds keeper. Anthony is one of the nicest people you will meet and kept the place immaculate.
There is a wonderful deck outside a large communal screen room.
The only downside was really the TV. one of the things I love about Coco is the checking out of media. So relaxing. In this case the TV got a bunch of use. We were there when Harvey went over. A buddy and I did an early AM dive and surfaced to rain, then wind, stinging wind. Some of the resort had been boarded up in advance and the reports looked like the dives would be cancelled for the day. Then, like magic, the sun came out and the wind died to nill (and stayed that way all week). But then the TV happened.
As the week came to an end rumors of Harvey hitting Houston became reality. We watched it build as we packed. We watched it hit as we had our flight cancelled.
Our buddies left for the east coast but being from San Antonio we were stuck. The staff found us a room until we knew what was going to happen. And then the next fight cancelled, and again and again. To complicate things the flight out of Houston made it out. One of the few. This meant that the guests trying to get out could not but the new guest did not get stuck in Houston so the place was over booked. But they found us rooms. Not only that but they offered a very serious discount to just stay the week. After many tedious hours we got a hold of United and confirmed flights for the following Saturday, we took the week. It was already Tuesday and our other options were go to LA or Chicago via Central America and wait to see when San Antonio opened. It was the right decision (although I am completely broke now).
This really changed things for us. We usually feel we need to gogogo. Get all those dives in. Then sleep when its all over.
We did 3 boat dive all the second week. It was mostly front yard critter hunting. 90-120 minute dives crawling along looking for the weird ones. And we found them. Nudis, Juv. Lined sole, Seahorse, sailfin blennies, Tripple fin blennies, Goliath Grouper, Eagle rays, Southern rays, eels (golden, white spot, green, sharp tail). I love that front yard. We planned our dives when the boats left and had things mostly to ourselves. Then even take a nap! I never do that! It was very relaxing and still managed 46 submerged hours in the 2 weeks.
Houston opened up Thursday night and we had clear weather on Saturday. But it was still hard to leave.
The staff is so good. The diving is so good. The resort is so good. Thank you Cocoview.
If Marble floors and fountains are your thing, dont bother. If you just want to dive and dive and dive and do so at a place that makes it so easy you can do so in a Nitrogen Zombie trance, this is your second home.
Here is a link to some shots. So many photo ops even an idiot like me can get a couple decent ones.

CocoView 8-17

I wanted to go before, even more so now. My big issue is my partner does not dive. And has zero interest in going. Easy place to find a buddy ?

Amazing photos, but what is the story with the house with gigantic crab out in front?

......."So many photo ops even an idiot like me can get a couple decent ones"
So who are you kidding with your statement bud, would love to take photos half that decent .

I wanted to go before, even more so now. My big issue is my partner does not dive. And has zero interest in going. Easy place to find a buddy ?
Absolutely. The guys we stayed with the first week we had met there 4 years ago and have dove with ever since. Before that we also dive with another group we met there years ago.
The rules are rather flexible once you gain their trust so I dive solo quite a bit. If you are uncomfortable with that and do the boat dives you can just stay with the group or buddy up with the DM. For shore dives, if you are friendly, You are sure to hookup with someone that wants to join you.
You are correct in leaving non-diving spouses behind. It is beautiful but not much to do except dive. But that also means you will find many like-minded people to hang out with. We now have two more groups we will be meeting up with.Another special advantage of this place, it builds friendships.
On a side note, the second week was the ONLY time we came across an unfriendly group. By midweek I think everyone had given up on them and they were forgotten.
Don't waste any more time. GO!

Amazing photos, but what is the story with the house with gigantic crab out in front?
Ha! There is a platform halfway out to the reef with a dredged path through the eel grass. This keep all the footraffic in one location to keep the grass flats healthy. When you get to the platform you put on your fins, mask, and go swim.
The platform has some good life below and crabs on top. Normal size crabs. This guys was sitting on top when i surfaced and the "house" in the back is one of the over the water bungalows. Just used a big aperture setting and came out like the thing was huge. Just a perceptive trick. Dont worry, no nuclear crabs in Roatan!

......."So many photo ops even an idiot like me can get a couple decent ones"
So who are you kidding with your statement bud, would love to take photos half that decent .
You're too kind, thank you. I see so many issue with my shots. Nice to hear otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom