Coco View Questions for those that know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My son and I are headed to CCV for the first time! Late March, during our spring break. I have some general questions, for those that have been there before:

1. Shore diving markers - I've seen pictures of the chain and buoys. Is there anything at night? While shore diving at Scuba Club Cozumel, I used to hang a flashlight in the water at the exit, just to make things easier to locate. Anything like this already in place? Any spot to put one?

2. We are on the wait list for a room, and might stay down the beach in one of the Playa Miguel Beach Houses. If so, I was thinking of bringing some food/snacks. Is there somewhere nearby pickup a few supplies? What are the chances of getting the bus driver to make a stop on the way from the airport?

3. What's the dining schedule like? Is it very strict? I sometimes missed dinner in order to take a twilight shore dive in Cozumel. Also, I was rushed to eat lunch, since I chose to shower after the morning dives. How do they handle it? What about non-mealtime food (at the bar??)

4. The resort (and Playa Miguel Beach Houses) all claim to have WiFi. How good is it... really? I was thinking of bringing my 3G-Wifi access point and buying a local SIM card for several Gig. Anyone know if they sell them at the airport, or nearby Coco View? Should I get Claro or Tigo?

5. After getting sick once, I now religiously avoid uncooked or cold food in Cozumel. On Grand Cayman, I ate anything I wanted. What's up with CCV on this front?

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll have lots of other little questions we get ready.

1. There is a system for using a strobe to mark the end of the chain during night diving. You will be briefed on this at Coco View orientation.
2. I've heard of people stopping at Eldons Market to pick up stuff on the way to CCV. It may sound self-centered because it is, but I'm thankful it's never happened on any shuttle I've been on. By the time I get to Roatan I am ready to dive, not wait for someone to grocery shop.
3. If you let the kitchen staff know ahead of time they will set a plate for you. You will be briefed on this at Coco View orientation. There are snacks such as popcorn at the bar in the evening.
4. At the resort, wifi is usually pretty good in the clubhouse / dinning area. The rooms nearest the building sometimes get a weak signal but I don't count on it happening.
5. I've eaten just about everything set out by the CCV kitchen with no ill effects during my visits.

Reactions: Doc
We've been to Roatan twice, we didn't stay at CCV but we had lovely dive trips and we did follow the CDC's travel medicine precautions, see the link below. I am sure that many folks will consider all of this preventive medicine unnecessary but I am a Microbiologist by profession and so I believe in germs - it's an occupational hazard!

We saw a travel medicine physician before we left and we were vaccinated for Hepatitis A and Typhoid and we took anti-malarial medication before, during, and after our trips. According to the CDC, Malaria is "Present throughout the country and in Roatán and other Bay Islands. None in San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa." It is a terrible disease and I wouldn't risk it, even if the chances are low.

If your health insurance doesn't cover travel vaccinations and medicines, check with your local public health department, sometimes they offer vaccines free or at a reduced price.

Dengue Fever also occurs in Honduras (although it is more common in urban areas) but we used repellent and took care to avoid insect bites as much as possible.

We also avoided undercooked and raw food and drank bottled water to prevent traveler's diarrhea and dysentery.

It sounds like a lot but it really wasn't bad. Get a few shots and take a few pills, cover up and use repellent, and use common sense about food and water.

Have a great trip!

Below are the CDC's travel recommendations for Honduras, including Roatan:
Health Information for Travelers to Honduras - Clinician view | Travelers' Health | CDC

Last edited:
The night dive process was really great if I recall. You check-in, hang your tag on the way out, pull your tag (and the strobe if you are last) on the way in, and check out...meaning it is clear who is underwater and how long they have been there.

As for food, I haven't see the van stop, but you can arrange to have the rental house stocked. I know Playa Miquel does this. You might pay a premium, but it would be much more convenient.

IME Wifi is hit or miss outside the dining room and bar.

I have a super sensitive stomach but have never gotten really sick at CCV. I have even eaten greens from the salad bar. If you decide to dive during dinner they will set a plate aside.

Navigation (1)

If you see the pen and ink maps of the "Front Yard"? I drew those as my DM project. Sit and stare at them, it's just real estate.

IF you pay attention to the layout of this area, if you use your first "Orientation Dive" to have a good look, if you remember where the placed 140' wreck is, if you remember where the anchor chain runs from that ship to your bedroom door.... You think you can handle that?

I'll bet you can. Pretty hard to get lost.

Is it difficult to find ad-hoc buddies for shore diving?

image.jpeg
Never had a problem buddying up.

This area is so simple to navigate and its so shallow, i use it to teach solo diving skills, so theres that angle.

Last edited:
Can't say I have been there as much as Doc but:

1) Even at night you have to be really trying to get lost. Just basic navigation and the markers are all you need.
2) You can get the PM people to stock food. Getting off resort to shop is a special trip and not worth it for me.
3) You can work with staff to get food off-hours but most people pile in to get fueled up.
4) Wifi is usually good but occasionally lots of uploads will tax the system. don't know about PM houses.
5) I have no complaints about the food. As it is buffet style you choose it. Otherwise the onsite nurse is awesome.

Lots of folks solo dive and if you want company you'll meet lots of other divers! Have a great trip.

A few additional points on the night diving protocol...

CCV provides a strobe for night diving (1) - First diver of the night takes the strobe off the sign-out board and hangs it on the 18 foot buoy chain (clear path marked from shore entry point to 18 foot buoy via a large chain on the bottom with suspended buoys along the chain). Last diver in brings it back.

Divers (and CCV) can easily keep track of who's in the water at night, since each night diver takes a numbered tag from the sign-out board and clips it to the same 18 foot chain as they start their night dive...and then brings this tag back when they exit. If you are the last tag on your way back to shore, you bring the strobe back in.

Great system

Back
Top Bottom