Trip Report CoCo View Resort Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes, CCV has been reviewed a bazillion times. But, one more won't hurt. Just returned last night and wanted to post this quickly to thank all my "advisors" on this site. This was our 2nd trip, the first one was 5 years ago. This report will highlight the slight differences noticed.
Resort: Still clean nice cabana units over the water. My wife is pondering seeking to be the handy person for the resort (ah, retirement) to do some bathroom re-grouting, floor refinishing, and a few things here and there, but it's all still good.
Food: Better than 5 years ago but still not so hot for vegetarians. They did offer veggie burgers on bugger day and tried an eggplant dish but spouse usually went for rice and beans as the protein. Breakfasts were great for all.
Staff: Actually seemed friendlier this trip. More outgoing and easy to chat with. Always helpful.
Music provided was new and enjoyable. Maybe we just went to sleep too early last time.
Diving: As before, outstanding set-up for ease of diving lots and lots. Eddie and Jorge were great DM and boat captain, as before. Boats all in good shape.
The dives: Walls still have tons of hard coral and sea fans, not lots of color, but good structure. Nice sandy channels along wall to explore. Some decent schools of blue tang and wrasses. Happy to see the schools of fish. Lots of free swimming green moreys and many in wall sightings. The expected seahorses and nice experiences with squid, 20 in one school that just hung around to play.
The small stuff. After seeing peacock mantis shrimp in Indonesia last year I didn't know what to expect from Roatan mantis shrimp. I became obsessed. Many, many sightings in little holes mostly in the Front Yard. Lots of cool little crabs and some shrimp that I hadn't seen before. Octopus on the night dives.
The unfortunate: Viz was 20-30 feet most dives. Water was a bit colder than expected, but that's on us. We went in August last time and didn't adjust expectations enough. Sea a bit rough a day or two but not too bad. Really it was the viz being what it was that seemed so different from last visit.
Thanks, CajunDiva and Doc for the advice. We could not go to the sights you suggested as it was too far for the boat staff to "get away with" taking us. Our group had the whole boat so it was more how late we'd be getting back.
All in all, a nice week trip with 24 dives that we enjoyed for what they were.
A few pics.

Rob

IMG_3126.JPG IMG_3120.jpg IMG_2873.jpg IMG_2906.JPG

Nice! Thanks so much for coming back and writing a report :) It's great to hear you had a great time. It's amazing how when you go back and look at your pictures after the trip, there seems to be so much more color! Those underwater flashes work miracles :giggle:

You're right...just came back from the Philippines. Going to CCV soon and it just won't be the same. I reckon I saw more animals in one dive at Puero Galera than I've seen in a week in the Caribbean.

Drrich2: Though I really have no idea why viz was what it was, there was a northerner that came in with a relatively strong, cool wind. From what we were told, viz was not as good as normal, but not too far from normal. March may be worse than when we were there last, August. Doc would know if time of year affects viz.
Tridacna: Try just hanging out east of the 15 feet strobe pole in the scattered coral heads or in the grassy front yard for 30 minutes. Look small and stuff will happen. While looking small, a large free swimming morey went right by my fins and a good sized eagle ray went over head, so you never know. Not the Philippines or Indonesia, but a lot closer.
Enjoy!!

Rob

Reactions: Doc
My favorite dive resort on this side of the world.

CCV's is my Caribbean fave (resort) too, but for the "other side", so far- it's the Atlantis (kinda near Puerto Galera) Sabang Beach Philippines. (Tridacna's comment!)

I have overheated strobe housings with the rapidity of presented subjects at Sabang. I liken it to CCV in that it can be a dive machine, if that's what you want. The Atlantis allowed me to get 5x a day, but I was wet all day in that they normally just offer a European Dive schedule. I had to tell them and convince them that's what I wanted....most go to Atlantis and do a max of 3x a day, usually less. Our group amused them by asking them to alter their elegant meals to equally yummy buffets so we could get back at it. After a week, I needed a vacation. It takes 24 hours of moving from my door to theirs.

Not so hard to get that 5x a day fix at CCV.

Last edited:
CCV's is my Caribbean fave (resort) too, but for the "other side", so far- it's the Atlantis (kinda near Puerto Galera) Sabang Beach Philippines. (Tridacna's comment!)

I have overheated strobe housings with the rapidity of presented subjects at Sabang. I liken it to CCV in that it can be a dive machine, if that's what you want. The Atlantis allowed me to get 5x a day, but I was wet all day in that they normally just offer a European Dive schedule. I had to tell them and convince them that's what I wanted....most go to Atlantis and do a max of 3x a day, usually less. Our group amused them by asking them to alter their elegant meals to equally yummy buffets so we could get back at it. After a week, I needed a vacation. It takes 24 hours of moving from my door to theirs.

Not so hard to get that 5x a day fix at CCV.

I just came back (yesterday) from almost three weeks at Atlantis. Best dive resort I've ever been to. We did 5 a day with ease. Verde Island is the best "fish" diving I've ever done. Apo was better for corals. Like I said, going back to anywhere in the Caribbean is going to be tough...bring on those drinks Willie.

Wonder why Viz. was so limited?
Anytime it rains the viz at the CCV frontporch dives sites goes to crap. There is a big lagoon behind CCV that collects lots of the run-off rain water and it gets dumped out onto Newmans wall and cocoview wall.

On our trip last August it rained hard at the end of the week before us. We had 30 foot viz for our checkout dives. 5 days later it was up to almost 50 feet viz. This is compared to 70 to 100 foot viz on the other dives sites the boat took us to. People who stayed the 2 weeks said viz was 80 feet before the rain.

Back
Top Bottom