Trip Report CoCo View Resort Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad viz?

Go dive the walls just East of the Prince Albert Wreck shore dive.

Shazam, problem solved.

Not that it matters now, but the goo does not come from the lagoon. It is another of the never ending gifts from Fantasy Island. Hint: that is not a natural beach at FI that the Pod People are rolling around upon.

Or...dive it at "slack tide" (ask the DMs), the viz on the PA Wreck often gets between 80-120'.

A lot of the runoff from rains there can be a direct result of the deforestation and multiple construction and new resorts.

Bad viz?

Go dive the walls just East of the Prince Albert Wreck shore dive.

Shazam, problem solved.

Not that it matters now, but the goo does not come from the lagoon. It is another of the never ending gifts from Fantasy Island. Hint: that is not a natural beach at FI that the Pod People are rolling around upon.

Or...dive it at "slack tide" (ask the DMs), the viz on the PA Wreck often gets between 80-120'.
nope - it was rain runoff from the lagoon as confirmed by the dive op owner.

viz the week before was 80 feet plus, then it rained hard for 3 days. tide phase did not matter. the east wall was as bad as the west wall.

We are stumbling over nomenclature.

No less and no more than the indefinable phrase "dive op owner".

Ask the DMs or better yet, Tim Blanton, the photo pro, about "slack tide". He and I watched it go from 20' to 200' in seconds. He sussed out the reason why: Slack Tide.

I still encourage anyone there with viz problems....go East of the PA Wreck... What could it hurt to try this?

I'm pretty familiar with the local hydraulics of wind, wave and tide in this locality...

This is my map from my DM Training that CCV uses to this day...

I've not done as many dives there as any employee, but I have enough (450? shore dives) to clearly know the conditions and how they evolve depending upon conditions.

Like I said... what could it hurt? Go East of the PA Wreck.

Or, Maybe just sit at the bar and blame the lagoon. Just give it a try.

Last edited:
We are stumbling over nomenclature.

No less and no more than the indefinable phrase "dive op owner".

Ask the DMs or better yet, Tim Blanton, the photo pro, about "slack tide".

I still encourage anyone there with viz problems....go East of the PA Wreck... What could it hurt to try this?

Maybe just sit at the bar. Or blame the lagoon.
Nope. I was referring to Patti Grier, the owner of dockside dive center.

The DMs rarely dive those dives sites: normally only once as part of the checkout dive at the start of the week.

We did go east and west. We kept asking to be dropped further and further away on the second dive in order to get some better viz. The viz deteriorated as we got closer to ccv, from both directions.

The viz slowly improved during our week as there was no more rain. Tim thought it would take another week for the viz to return to normal. It was an very very hard rainfall over multiple days. Not normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom