Coconut Water for cramps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is an odd question which I have not seen covered anywhere here, although I admit I have not looked very far. In a couple of posts I have seen mentioned using coconut water (coconut milk?) as a deterrent to getting cramps, especially after diving. I am a medical professional, but I have never heard of this. Does anyone have any info or experience with this? This is probably in the wrong forum, but I thought I would start here.:popcorn:

It works for me...I ride my bicycle 25-50 miles a day and susceptible to leg cramps. CM works wonders and I drink some prior to each dive to fend off leg cramps while diving. YRMV?

It's a good source of Potassium, which is beneficial in cramp prevention.

Additionally, an insufficiency of Vitamin D might also cause leg cramps. I used to get leg cramps mainly while sleeping and started taking 4000iu of Vitamin D3 each night and they went away. Then they came back even though my Vitamin D levels tested OK. Now I take a 25 mg benadryl tablet each night too and that works great. I have not tried coconut milk but I eat a banana every day. I do use coconut milk to make ice cream but I don't eat it every day or I'd have to get a bigger wetsuit. On my latest test my Vitamin D levels were a bit high so now I'm taking 2000iu each night. I do not eat eggs or dairy products which are major sources of Vitamin D. So far no doctor has been able to explain why benadryl works and I can't even say what made me think of it.

There was a thread a while back on this subject and IIRC most people seemed to think that low potassium was the culprit, however my potassium levels always check out OK.

Coconut water (not sure about milk) is supposed to have a lot more potassium than bananas. It works well to keep me hydrated.

Lobo

Coconut water (not sure about milk) is supposed to have a lot more potassium than bananas. It works well to keep me hydrated.

Lobo

Do you have a specific brand that you recommend? I tried one can and thought it was awful. Besides not tasting as good as the stuff right out of the coconut it had small pieces of coconut floating around that did not enhance my experience.

Do you have a specific brand that you recommend? I tried one can and thought it was awful. Besides not tasting as good as the stuff right out of the coconut it had small pieces of coconut floating around that did not enhance my experience.
Same here. It's one of the very few beverages that was so gross I threw out a full bottle after one gulp. I remember it being somewhat salty, and not at all what I expected. Coconut milk, on the other hand, is delicious.

Personally, I stick to a multivitamin daily and add potassium pills (and lots of water) right before a dive trip. That did it for me.

In all honesty, the first bottle I drank, I was unsure of. It was, to me, an acquired taste.

Coconut water comes from green coconuts. Milk comes from mature coconuts. Took me a couple of bottles to decide I liked the taste.

I now buy mine in cans from The Dollar Tree. For a fraction of the cost compared to what they have at Wal Mart.

When I get off work I will post the brand, and how much potassium it contains.

Lobo

Has anyone in this thread actually had their electrolytes tested and found they were low on potassium and had cramps and started drinking coconut water and it made the cramps go away, or are most people doing it as a precaution? I'm all for anything that will help eliminate cramps (I actually had to end a dive early once because of a cramp that wouldn't go away) but would appreciate something a little more scientific too. I am fortunate that, after taking benadryl nightly for a couple of years, I can now take it before a dive and not fall asleep while underwater :wink:

As a point of interest: sometime during the 80s I read an article that said divers tend to have low potassium levels. Before I knew that I used to go to a fruit stand after diving and buy and bunch of bananas and eat four or five of them. I guess my body was trying to tell me something. Plus I've always been fond of fresh coconuts and it's still one of my favorites. Unfortunately it is difficult to find any around here that are not old, cracked, and dried out. I don't know if there are any real health benefits but I make oatmeal cookies with shredded coconut fairly often. As for the coconut milk ice cream, I more or less invented it after I realized I was having problems with dairy products and everyone who has tried it loves it! My ice cream maker is small (only 1/2 gallon) and three 13.5 ounce cans is just right. I only use the stuff that is at least 21% fat, if anyone is interested. Coconut milk is also a great substitute for the buttermilk and condensed milk in German Chocolate Cake :) One can is just right for a three-layer cake (including the wonderful, gooey, coconut-filled topping). I like this thread--we have established that coconut ice cream, cookies, and German Chocolate Cake are good for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom