Cocoview as a single diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktkt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm thinking of taking a trip to Roatan in January and have been reading lots of great reviews for Cocoview. I don't have a buddy I can drag along on vacation with me, but it seems like this is a good place for a single diver.

In my head, I've decided that CCV is like a liveaboard on land. Does that make sense? Is it pretty accurate?

I figure the boat dives will be totally fine, as in easy to find a dive buddy, and presumably, people I meet on the boat will also make good buddies for shore diving. Are there usually plenty of people night diving from shore? I LOVE LOVE LOVE night diving, so I'll want to do it every night I can, and it would be a bummer if it was hard to make that happen. If it came down to it, would I be able to hire a DM for night dives?

Is there anywhere else I should be considering? I just want to dive lots, have food magically be waiting for me at meal time, and have a nice quiet place to sleep. Don't care about nightlife or shopping or anything like that. I can stomach the CCV budget, which with the single supplement works out to be $1249 before taxes, tips, and all those little extras. (Getting plane tickets with miles helps!)

I was just there as a single diver, and loved it! There are people constantly hitting the water for a dive, and because everyone is so friendly (I liken CCV to being like going to a huge family reunion), tagging along isn't a problem.

The shore diving is the easiest that I've ever done, and there are tons of critters to see if you go slow enough.

If it gives you any idea, I did about 22 or 23 dives in 6 days.

You can hire a DM for dives, but I really think it's unnecessary.

I agree with everything craracer said.....one of my girlfriends went alone a couple of years ago on my recomendation and signed up for the roommate plan and it worked perfect for her and now the other diver she roomed with comes with us on most of our dive trips.....everyone will make you feel at home no worries go you will have a great time.....I try to make it down there at least once a year....gonna miss this year unless the a/f comes down and I can get there during Christmas week

...In my head, I've decided that CCV is like a liveaboard on land. Does that make sense? Is it pretty accurate?

That's what most of us "CoCoNuts" say.

.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE night diving, so I'll want to do it every night I can....

That's one of the best reasons to go to CCV~ the easy shore dive access offers you two great walls, the 140' shipwreck and the DC3, all in shallow water. Go night diving every night! We do.

...Is there anywhere else I should be considering? I just want to dive lots, have food magically be waiting for me at meal time, and have a nice quiet place to sleep. Don't care about nightlife or shopping or anything like that....

No, not if that's your criteria.

I can stomach the CCV budget, which with the single supplement works out to be $1249 before taxes, tips, and all those little extras. (Getting plane tickets with miles helps!)

The airfare to Roatan is the killer. Sometimes as much as $1,000+, but we did it for $875 a few weeks ago. "All those little extras"? There isn't much to spend it on once you pay for the trip. Roatan isn't much for shopping, and CCV isn't much for add-on pricing. If you tell Roatan Charter that you're willing to share a room with another single diver room-mate, sometimes you wind up with a single anyway if they don't have one for you, and you get it for the price of double occupancy.

.... and because everyone is so friendly (I liken CCV to being like going to a huge family reunion), tagging along isn't a problem..

And this is from somebody who has been to two other Roatan dive resorts.

When we were there last month it seemed that the single divers had no issues finding someone to buddy up with. There really are people hitting the water at all hours of the day, although Jen and I were the only ones we saw getting in at 4:45 in the morning for a dawn dive during our week.

Ktkt: If you're interested, we are a group of 11 who just lost a single female diver...not in the water, but she can't come now... and are going to CCV on June 18-25. We have a space in one of the beach houses to share with another female diver. We're an eclectic group, 2 couples, 2 singles, and a family of 4. 2 are instructors and experience of others ranges from lots to little. If you'd like to join us, check in with our fearless leader, Rami at Scuba Sensations in Chicago. Contact info is: (312) 450-7741
info@scubasensations.com
Either way, we're very excited about our trip and hope you get there one way or another.

Rob

ooops, just re-read to see you want to go in January not June. Sorry. If you want to make the trip sooner let us know.
Rob

KT, every trip I've made to CCV has been as a single diver. As has been stated above you can sign up for the roommate plan to avoid the supplement, I did, and twice had no roommate!

For shore dives it's easy to buddy up, someone is almost constantly getting into the water. Including night dives.
On the boats you dive with essentially the same group all week and buddy teams can form up with singles very naturally. You can always cruise with the DM if you wish.

Guests at CCV are a friendly bunch. There's usually someone to dive with (night dives too) and you'll be welcome to dine with others in the clubhouse.

Night dives from the shore are amazing. Critters come out that you normally don't see during the day. My last trip to Roatan I saw 4 octopus on a night dive, one was a juvenile right under the dive platform.

Shore diving at night is easy to navigate, too, following the landmarks in place. Get your compass bearings though, as a backup :)

Back
Top Bottom