CoCoView Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from an absolutely fantastic week of diving at CCV. To make the week even better, I finally got to meet and dive with RoatanMan! I love macro life, but Doc introduced me to a whole new ballgame known as micro-macro life. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the newly found creatures on film (so to speak).

I'm sure that I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about CCV. Suffice it to say, I am now a devote CoCoNut.

I've posted some photos up on Picasa. Be gentle as I recently moved from a P&S camera to a Canon 450D.

To make my learning curve even more difficult, my hands are tied behind my back in that I do not have strobes, no dome port, and I'm using the standard 18-55 lens that came with the camera.

I also see that Picasa changed the colors of the photos when I uploaded them, so they are not quite as the originals.

Here's the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yellod...authkey=Gv1sRgCMmxvKCqyJSRjwE&feat=directlink

Very nice pics. I'm jealous that you got to dive with Doc. He's a fellow Chicago area resident and I've already picked up tons of pointers from him on this board. I even bought a magnifying glass based on his suggestion. Our dive shop is coming down in June with 11 or so and Doc has offered to come to the shop some Saturday for a Q & A. Doc, I'm going to take you up on that. One question: Some of our group will be staying at the beach house (not sure which one). How far a walk is that from the main area (dining room, let's say)? Thanks again for the nice pics and getting me more excited...we leave in exactly 2 months!

Rob

Very nice pics. I'm jealous that you got to dive with Doc. He's a fellow Chicago area resident and I've already picked up tons of pointers from him on this board. I even bought a magnifying glass based on his suggestion. Our dive shop is coming down in June with 11 or so and Doc has offered to come to the shop some Saturday for a Q & A. Doc, I'm going to take you up on that. One question: Some of our group will be staying at the beach house (not sure which one). How far a walk is that from the main area (dining room, let's say)? Thanks again for the nice pics and getting me more excited...we leave in exactly 2 months!

Rob

I don't know the exact answer but the walk isn't bad.
I personally would not have an issue with the distance from any of the cabins to the clubhouse area.

I would say the farthest beachhouse is about a 10 min. slow stroll and the closest is about 3-4 minutes depending how fast you walk....but none of them are that far....plus they do provide bicycles w/baskets to ride to and from the beach houses....

yes Doc is a wealth of information....he is really a sweetheart and a great dive buddy he finds all the cool stuff :)

You can find more information about the beach houses here:
Playa Miguel

Great photos!

Did you use an external strobe?

No strobes yet? It's not the equipment, it's the photographer. Very nice work, you'll do amazing stuff when you get twin strobes.

Contemplating CoCoView in June/July. Looks like no whale sharks then. Is that a good time to be there? Thanks
John

Oh, there's no doubt that the equipment is far better than the user. TTL strobes are on my purchase list. The Watershot camera housing does not allow the use of the built-in flash of the camera.

While at CCV, I attended a Whale Shark presentation by Dr. Rob Davis, who is the director for the Whale Shark & Oceanic Research Center in Utila.

During the presentation he stated that the common belief that there are specific months in which Whale Sharks pass by the islands is a myth. He said that they are passing through year round, and that it's more of a happen-chance event to see them. He then provided data to backup this revelation.

Rob

Hello, Rob,

We switched to BH#9 (La Casita), as it is more economical w/ 2 non-divers along. Jutta, the agent at Roatan Charter, said that it's a "slow 6 minute walk." I just got an e-mail from Roatan Charter offering the rental of a golf cart, but I will graciously decline.

You're there about 2 wks before we get there (1st week of July).

Craracer, it's the photog, not the equipment. Absolutely gorgeous photos in your Picasa album. But we can always dream that we just need another piece of gear. (That strobe doesn't make my thighs look fat, does it?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom