Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone else a coffee snob out there? A few years ago, we bought one of those Keurig makers. I hated it so much I stopped drinking coffee. I started drinking a pre-workout drink in the morning which has about the same caffeine as two cups of coffee so I just kept doing that.

Then about two years ago, a friend of mine turned me onto the magic of the French Press. And I'm in love. Back to drinking coffee. To me, the Keurig tastes stale and bitter. I drink coffee black and maybe b/c of that, if it's bitter or old I can really tell the difference.

What does everyone do on trips? Drink whatever is available? I purchased two travel size (16oz) French press coffee bottles. Look just like a travel mug but have the filter and press. I tried it out the other morning and works great. So that will be going into my checked bag, along with some of my favorite coffee that I'll vacuum seal :) I'm a very efficient packer on trips so I'll have plenty of room.

Oh and I also researched a collapsible water kettle in cases where we may stay somewhere without ability to make hot water like a hotel etc. LOL.

Anyone else a coffee snob out there? A few years ago, we bought one of those Keurig makers. I hated it so much I stopped drinking coffee. I started drinking a pre-workout drink in the morning which has about the same caffeine as two cups of coffee so I just kept doing that.

Then about two years ago, a friend of mine turned me onto the magic of the French Press. And I'm in love. Back to drinking coffee. To me, the Keurig tastes stale and bitter. I drink coffee black and maybe b/c of that, if it's bitter or old I can really tell the difference.

What does everyone do on trips? Drink whatever is available? I purchased two travel size (16oz) French press coffee bottles. Look just like a travel mug but have the filter and press. I tried it out the other morning and works great. So that will be going into my checked bag, along with some of my favorite coffee that I'll vacuum seal :) I'm a very efficient packer on trips so I'll have plenty of room.
I bring an aero press and a manual grinder, along with a fresh bag of whatever the local roast du jour is.

Edit: just realized forum

Last liveaboard I did featured wake up calls at 5am for the briefing. I couldn’t be bothered with brewing anything at that time, so no aeropresses, no cold brews from the previous night for me :p. Basically whatever is available on board, so either nespresso or instant (heck I’m so unpretentious).

Last liveaboard I did featured wake up calls at 5am for the briefing. I couldn’t be bothered with brewing anything at that time, so no aeropresses, no cold brews from the previous night for me :p. Basically whatever is available on board, so either nespresso or instant (heck I’m so unpretentious).

I don't think I'm pretentious BUT I like what I like! And visa versa. I'm also really picky when it comes to meat. I love a good steak but I hate any gristle or chewy fatty meat. Same with chicken. And while we're on the subject, I hate the "rinds" or edges on deli meat. I always cut them off.

Most of the time on liveaboards I'll just drink tea, or I bring my caffeinated workout powder.

I completely understand your preference for good coffee. I usually pack a french press, grinder and some beans for trips. It's not hard to find almost boiling water somewhere. I also pick up locally roasted coffee if available to expand my horizons a bit.

I completely understand your preference for good coffee. I usually pack a french press, grinder and some beans for trips. It's not hard to find almost boiling water somewhere. I also pick up locally roasted coffee if available to expand my horizons a bit.
Thanks. I don't think it's "pretentious" to have a preference. I don't expect anyone to cater to me, but I will bring my own stuff. I thought it was interesting you can purchase a collapsible water kettle on Amazon, but probably won't need this in most situations.

Wouldn't it be easier to grind your beans just before a trip, and then place in a sealed bag?

We usually take fresh ground beans we vacuum pack or just bag up, an aero press or a V60, and our club mates tend to bring French press. Within the UK where we often drive to meet the boat, I have been known to bring a coffee dripper with me!
Rich

Oh and I also researched a collapsible water kettle in cases where we may stay somewhere without ability to make hot water like a hotel etc. LOL.

I've never been on a liveaboard, so I'm not sure how much space is available.

I'm a coffee snob, roast my own beans, espresso machine, 2 grinders, french press, aero press, Harrio V60 for pour over, drink it black etc, etc.

I take my pour over grinder and the V60 with a few filters as it's the easiest and most compact, nice clean cup. I put everything in a milk cart anytime we go away. I also take an electric kettle, but a thermometer and a boiling pot of water would work. I don't use boiling water for coffee. Depending what kind of coffee it is, usually anywhere from 165f-185f (which is why the thermometer would be a must for me). To me, boiling water over extracts the coffee and it tastes bitter.

They make hand grinders, but a good one with consistent grind size can get expensive ($250-$300). They are really nice, and there's something about making coffee in the morning and enjoying the silence (my grinder kills that). I do not own a hand grinder, but a buddy of mine has one and he says it's great for going anywhere.

Wouldn't it be easier to grind your beans just before a trip, and then place in a sealed bag?

You'll get sub par coffee this way, it'll degrade a lot faster than beans freshly ground.

I also pick up locally roasted coffee if available to expand my horizons a bit.

I will bring something I like, and also pick something up while I'm away for the same reason. It's a hit or miss (which is why I bring something I like).

I bring an aero press and a manual grinder, along with a fresh bag of whatever the local roast du jour is.

Edit: just realized forum

Just realized the aero press would probably be more compact, but I tend to prefer the cleaner cup with the V60.

Are we not supposed to post in the woman's forum? If not, my apologies.

I just read my post.... I sound like an old man, lol.

Back
Top Bottom