Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my grinder
upload_2021-4-22_11-7-22.jpeg

my filter
upload_2021-4-22_11-7-51.jpeg

i just have to buy new ones every time I travel. still sounds cheaper than your coffee, though. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to grind your beans just before a trip, and then place in a sealed bag?

I've been roasting my own coffee for many years. If you're only going out for a day or two boat trip, grind at home just before leaving, put in a zip lock bag and get on with life. You won't notice the difference in that time frame between grinding at home or on the boat.

For multi-week trips, then grinding on the boat would be better... but that's also quite a bit of whole-bean coffee to bring. I'd probably grind a bunch at home and put in multiple sealed bags, so you're only exposing a few days of coffee at a time to the atmosphere. Also, a pound of ground coffee takes up much less space than a pound of whole-bean.

Regarding brewing devices, camping stores now sell compact french press and drip equipment. Personally, I'd go with an Aeropress. Get very used to using it at home before taking on a boat. They clean up quite easily. On international trips where weight is often a concern, it's quit a commitment to bring this much stuff just for brewing coffee. I typically just drink whatever the boat is offering.

That's what vapes are for. :wink:
Not a laughing matter in Malaysia or Indonesia. Even in the PI and Thailand where weed (THC, whatever) is very common, the legal penalties are drastic if you are unlucky or dumb enough to catch the attention of the authorities. I've partaken in at least ten countries (could be more, can't remember :wink:), but give it a wide berth in that part of the world.

IMG_2626.JPG

I typically take along a Handpresso pump espresso maker, which either takes the flat ESE pods or the use of ground coffee, along with the use of a manual grinder. The espresso maker's unfortunate silhouette -- going through airport security -- has occasionally garnered interest.

Mi scusi -- women's forum; hadn't noticed.

At least, Bella is female . . .

Ha ha - made me smile

I took a Barista course, with the intention of having a proper coffee making set up at home. Actually really interesting course especially with teh science of the grind and tamp, and repeatability.

But no way could I either manage or be faffed when I'm sleepy eyed first thing in the morning, so I sold out and got a automated bean to cup. Frankly just pressing a button can be a challenge some mornings!
My wife got me a Pavoni maybe 15 years ago. It was so much trouble to get a decent espresso out of it that it was relegated to Sunday morning use.

And then we we spent a few days with friends in Poland who had this magical machine that you occasionally fed with whole beans and water and in gratitude returned espresso better than 95% of anything I'd ever gotten out of the Pavoni. When we got back home, we bought a refurbished superautomatic (a Saeco Syntia) from Seattle Coffee Gear and have lived happily ever after (at least as far as coffee goes).

I think I'll go push a button and have a cup right now.

Edit: I'll also highly recommend a milk frother like https://www.amazon.com/Miroco-Stainless-Automatic-Cappuccino-Chocolates/dp/B07HH9BHL1 instead of messing with steam wands if you are into latte type drinks.

Not a laughing matter in Malaysia or Indonesia. Even in the PI and Thailand where weed (THC, whatever) is very common, the legal penalties are drastic if you are unlucky or dumb enough to catch the attention of the authorities. I've partaken in at least ten countries (could be more, can't remember :wink:), but give it a wide berth in that part of the world.

Vape cartridges don't smell like pot and unless you're an idiot and misbehave, there's no reason for them to suspect anything. Sniffer dogs can't detect the THC in a vape cartridge, either. Edibles also travel well. That 5 hour bus ride across Malaysia two years ago just flew by for me. :wink:

+27 for the AeroPress. I do espresso-based drinks at home on a Silvia but have an AeroPress at work, one in my camping bin, and for some unknown reason yet another that I travel with. Don't get them wet after midnight, they'll multiply!

For beans, I'll pre-grind and just accept the decrease in quality. For longer trips (2 weeks in the Keys right before COVID) I brought a few day's worth ground and then got more from local places (that Cuban place in Key West). I guess you could always vacuum seal multiple bags with a day or three per bag so the grinds hold a little better. Never bothered though.

***Pro tip (esp. for people camping in cold places)- koozies for slim cans (e.g. a lot of canned wines) fit perfectly height and diameter-wise. Just cut the bottom off and you have an insulated sleeve for the AeroPress to keep it from getting cold while you're brewing.***

Easier, but that has a big affect on flavor.

I'm proud to be a self-professed coffee snob, and I roast my own beans.

One rule of thumb is that green (unroasted) coffee beans should be used w/in 15 months of harvest, roasted coffee should be used within 15 days of roast, and ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes of grinding.

A hand grinder is a good travel option, and great exercise. :)

We don't stick to the 'roast them w/in 15 months of harvest, but we drink what I roast within a couple of weeks, and we grind as we go. Yum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom