Cold and Deep. Which Reg for the Pony??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VancouverBC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I routinely dive in 44F water to depths of 100+. I'm picking up a 19 cu ft pony and trying to figure out which reg would suit my needs. Something with a good balance of value and reliability. Looking on LP I can get a Scubapro MK2 Plus/R190 Regulator for $149.00, an Aqualung Calypso for $169.00, or a Oceanic GT3 CDX5 DVT Diaphragm Regulator with Environmental seal for $199.00 Which would you recommend as a back up? I hope to never have to use it....

Primary is a Legend LX ACD and it has been rock solid

Of the three I would pick the Oceanic GT3 CDX5.......

M

I second that. Another option would be a CDX5-Alpha 8 for $145 at scubatoys.

I second that. Another option would be a CDX5-Alpha 8 for $145 at scubatoys.

I picked up the same setup on LP for about the same price for my pony.

The CDX-5 is a sealed unit and is my first stage on my "primary" rig, paired with an Omega II........

When used regs in local shops and Craig's List are $350+, it was an easy choice to go to LP........

Ooops - just saw that you knew it was sealed already......

Last edited:
I'd pick up another one of whatever you have now.

That way when you get around to fixing them yourself you only need one set of spare parts instead of two, and one set of tools, one manual, etc.

If your primary reg craters, you have another identical reg to switch to primary. If you double up tanks, you have two identical regs. If you drop them off for service, you can drop both at one shop, instead of dropping one at an Oceanic shop and the other at a SP shop.

If your Legend LX ACD has been "rock solid", why go elsewhere? Whether its on a pony, a right or left hand post, or as an alternate primary, your life could depend on it in either of these functions. Go with what you know.

My .02

Doc

I would suggest your pony regs be the same as your primary if at all possible. Of your options however I would go with the mk2+/R190 because I like scubapro and that reg is simple/cheap to service and I dont know much about the other options.

Also I might suggest a larger bailout cylinder for those depths. for up to 60' I use an aluminum 19 but for anything deeper a 40 is nice and really duals is best one you go to much beyond 130 (or 100 for that matter).

for cold water that mk2 isn't great but if you dont over work it there shouldn't be to much issue, I use mk2's for deco regs and mk17's for primary/pony and dive water temps no warmer than 41 degrees usually.

if your in cruddy water you might look into a sealed reg like the mk17. Scuba store. Online Scuba gear and Scuba equipment shop. has the best deals on scubapro I think.

Thanks for the opinions on this. Price is a factor for the redundant set up or I would definitely buy another Legend without hesitation. I will probably go that route next year, but for now a reliable compromise is better than a top of the line reg and no pony to put it on! :D

Where are the Aqua Lung guys on this board I'm wondering if they exist :shakehead:

Think about it this way. This regulator is potentionally going to save your hide. How much is your hide worth? Is this the time to be looking for the cheapest possible alternative??? I would think you would want something as good or better then your primary on your pony. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom