Cold Water Cardio Conditioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know of swimmers who are doing or have done cold water conditioning? So I have access to an 11 foot deep pool. Three quarter Olympic size. Because of the time of year it's 55 degrees F.

I'm doing 7 laps around the perimeter. And diving to 11 feet twice using snorkel, mask, booties, and fins. It takes about 24 minutes and then I'm out heading to my warm bathtub while toweling off.

No exposure protection. And it's cooolllllddd. Brrr. At first I feel a shocking cool sensation and my breathing is fast. After the first lap my skin starts to feel slightly warmer with the exercise. My breathing slows a bit. I'm cold but my skin is handling it OK for that duration.

It is my maximum swim possible at that temperature for my level of conditioning. So far 4 days doing it with a skipped day in between days.

Last edited:
I have also been getting cool water swims in. I’ve been using indoor hotels pools to just practice finning by holding side, stairs and just kicking for a set time. This way i am able to change out kicks from scissor to frog, etc. not as full body exercise, but hotel pools are small, so I’d be turning every five kicks otherwise. I do warm up, but I am bringing my thinner wetsuit next time and we’ll see if hotel employees say anything.

You can probably just tell the staff that you are a scuba diver. They'll probably be impressed and give the go ahead for a wetsuit in the pool.

Not sure how cold I'll be able to stand as fall weather gets colder. I'm reassured by the swimmer in Ireland from the article that it's worth a try. The author is crazy by the way. No way I'm swimming in 5 C/ 40F water without a wetsuit.

Don't know how cold U.S. Navy Seals are required to train in. But I know they have to be in the cold water for incredibly long times.

Besides training for the cold, I train for higher amounts of C02 caused by stress and being constricted by thermal protection. Using a snorkel increases dead air space, constrict the snorkel for increased effect. Enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom