Cold Water Gear Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

typingm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I just introduced myself a few days ago and I’m already asking my first question!

I just got certified and I’m now looking into buying some gear. I’m based in New York City, and, while I’d love to dive as much as possible in the Caribbean, realistically, most of my diving practice will be at Dutch Springs and, when I get good enough, here in the NY area.

I’ve read a number of stories of people who have had their regulators freeze at Dutch Springs, even in the middle of summer. Sounds like the water is often in the mid to upper 40s around 60 feet and I guess that’s enough to freeze a regulator.

So, for the sake of getting the most mileage in the future out of the equipment, based on my geography, even if it’s a little bit more than I need right now, I want to get a cold water regulator. I was hoping to get people’s opinions on a few different ones. They’re all environmentally sealed diaphragm regulators. The three I was looking at in my price range are:

Cressi Compact Pro MC9 SC
Regulators & Octopus Regulators & Octopus-Compact Pro/MC9 SC

Oceanic Alpha 9 CDX-5
Alpha 9

Mares Abyss 22 Navy II
Abyss 22 Navy II - Scuba regulators - Mares
Definitely overkill, but LeisurePro has a pretty good deal on an open-box one that puts it in-line price-wise with the other two. But it comes with a LeisurePro warranty, not a manufacturer’s warranty (although LP is an authorized Mares dealer if it makes a difference). I’d love some feedback on how limiting that would be. I assume I’d have trouble getting it repaired if it broke while I was on a vacation?

Anyway, those are the three. My thinking is, get the Mares if the warranty isn’t as big an issue as I think it might be. Otherwise, I would lean towards the Oceanic. But any other thoughts on these or any other models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
David

what are your long term goals? Will you be buying your own tanks? Do you have interest in being able to service the regulators on your own at some point to save a considerable amount of money in maintenance?

Good questions.

I live in Manhattan and don't have a car, so with all the transport costs associated with it, I don't see myself owning a tank any time soon. Rental is probably cheaper than lugging that thing around in a taxi everywhere.

I was planning on buying the basic BCD, regulator, octo, and gauge equipment.

I'm not especially handy, so I probably wouldn't be performing my own maintenance, at least not for a very long time.

I'd love to be able dive locally on some of the shallower wrecks, but that's also a long way off. I'm really at the point of doing my first post-certification dives. Based on my work and financial situation right now, I can see myself taking one warm-weather drive trip a year and trying to get in 2-4 weekends over the summer at Dutch Springs or somewhere similar. When I get better, maybe I can supplement that number with local diving.

Thanks

I would try to make the trip down to Northeast Scuba Supply and talk to John. Leisurepro is great, but since you are interested in starting to dive the wrecks, it makes more sense to buy the equipment that you will need for that now. It will all work just as well for the diving that you are doing now and save you money in the long run while not costing you much if any more now.

Anyway, those are the three. My thinking is, get the Mares if the warranty isn’t as big an issue as I think it might be. Otherwise, I would lean towards the Oceanic. But any other thoughts on these or any other models would be greatly appreciated.

Planet Multi Store sells the complete Cressi set (sealed MC9 + XS pro + XS octo + SPG) for less than others' 1st & 2nd. Even than LP's openbox deal.

Thanks, guys. That's all good advice. Any thoughts on that specific regulator, dmaziuk?

The whole kit (regulator, BCD, octo, SPG) would run around $700 at LP as a package. I need to redo the quote there because I swapped in some different gear, but I think that's the ballpark. Ideally, I'd love to be closer to $600 for everything, but it doesn't look like you can get decent cold water equipment in that range. I'll give Northeast Scuba a call later today or tomorrow as well.

Thanks, guys. That's all good advice. Any thoughts on that specific regulator, dmaziuk?

Not really: if they're still around by Xmas time and I'm still gainfully employed by then, I might find out. And also about PMS shopping: I never bought anything from them.

I think about any reg set will work for the kind of diving I do and although I am handy, I don't see the ease of servicing my own regs as a major consideration. It's mostly the price tag that I like about that set (< $400).

Listen to @tbone1004, he's mostly always right. :wink:

oh you can absolutely get good cold water gear in that range. That's easy.
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
$690 and gives you an extra first stage. Important because you'll be needing/wanting a pony bottle or H-valve or doubles when you get into wreck diving up there.
DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®
without the extra first stage
Hog D1 Doubles Reg Package
different brand, same package though, but at $540-they also have a single tank version but it's only $20 cheaper, so get the extra first stage

These are all rated for deep, technical, cold, basically anything. You can do 300ft ice diving with them on trimix and they wouldn't care. Haven't taken any of them that deep, but I've done proper cold water *it doesn't ice over in NC, but the water temp was in the low 30's* with the Hog's and they're fine, I know guys that ice dive regularly with both HOG and Dive Rite, they all go deep, we've all abused them in cave diving, etc etc. That's everything you need except a depth gauge if you're using tables or a computer.
Hollis DG03 Dive Computer w/FREE Dry Box | Dive Gear Express®
best bang for buck computer. It's GUI is a little annoying, but that's compared to the Petrel which has the best GUI of any dive computer out there. It's comparable to all of the similar type casio screen computers out there. $250, will last you through literally all diving except CCR/Trimix since it has 3 gas and does deco. Until Deep6 is up and running, there won't be any better deals on computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom