Cold Water Kit for Mares Proton 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris1415

New
Reaction score
I have a Mares Proton 12 regulator (not metal) and was thinking about having the cold water kit installed. I have been diving in quarrys with a water temp around 45 deg. F. with no problems, but might be trying some colder water soon...about 35 -40 deg. I haven't been able to find much info on what all the cold water kit actually does.

Does it just insulate or is it actually a seal? Could anyone explain the pros / cons of having this kit installed over buying a new regulator that is environmentally sealed?

-Thanks for your help!

...among my regs are a cold-water-kit 'converted' MARES Ruby......I'm not a reg tech, but after the conversion I could look down the 'top' of the 1st-stage and see a small light blue rubber-membrane had been installed, and under this membrane was a clear-silicone oil/liquid, and I could push down on the membrane with my finger and it felt like pushing down on a water balloon.....to answer your question, 'yes' is IS a seal as the little blue membrane is the part of the reg in contact with the water...the water pushes on the membrane, which pushes on the silicone liquid, which pushes on the 1st-stage diaphragm....it insulates AND seals. The 'advantage' is it's gonna be a lot cheaper than a new reg to retrofit your existing unit and should work just as well.

I have a Mares Proton 12 regulator (not metal) and was thinking about having the cold water kit installed. I have been diving in quarrys with a water temp around 45 deg. F. with no problems, but might be trying some colder water soon...about 35 -40 deg. I haven't been able to find much info on what all the cold water kit actually does.

Does it just insulate or is it actually a seal? Could anyone explain the pros / cons of having this kit installed over buying a new regulator that is environmentally sealed?

-Thanks for your help!

If you decide to have the CWD installed, I highly suggest you choose the dry sealed version. It is called the CWD Dry Kit and the part number is 416855. The version using silicone oil is a mess to install and service.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom