Cold water Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW instructors all (3 of them) like the Hightide brand of neoprene dry suit and the DM's were all wearing ScubaPro Everdry4 crushed neoprene suits. All had good things to say about each suit. I saw a Waterproof Trilam suit in a dive shop the other day and it was bad ass lookin', really well built, the instructor there said he was told by the rep that you don't need and under garment with that suit but it is a very spendy suit running around $3000+.

I would really hesitate among going under the ice until well after you have your gear configuration dialed in!
There are some hardy divers around your area, once you get in with a group follow their lead. Not only will they be using the most appropriate stuff for where you are diving, they often upgrade and you'll be able to find second hand stuff, (If it fits).

I don't know anyone who does not like their White's Fusion, me included. It is a tri-lam, meaning a shell, so ALL warmth is provided by the undergarment.

@Jax: That's weird. Did Whites change the design of the Fusion? Previously, the Fusion shell was made of a bilaminate material.

On a separate note, the prices on the Fusion seem to have gone up since Aqualung bought out Whites. I have also heard that, since the change in ownership, drysuit valves have been switched from the Si-tech to the Apeks brand. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, though.

@LakerPride: I have really been impressed with the performance and durability of my Bare Nex-Gen over the past few years. It's a low-end, shoulder-entry bilaminate suit that presents good value, IMHO. Bare off-the-rack sizing has enough variety to fit a nice range of body types. It's really important to have a drysuit that fits.

If I were crawling around on a lot of sharp rocks on my dives, then I would probably want to go with a different suit made of crushed neoprene.
For the shore diving that I typically do, the Nex-Gen works just fine.

I'd recommend talking to experienced local drysuit divers about what brands/models of drysuits they prefer for local conditions.

Thanks guys, a lot of great info. I am trying to find guys near the Soo to dive with but there is no one active in the buddy finder thing.
@Wolfie, I completely agree I will not rush the ice dives, but its hard not to! I have been rebitten by the bug after only diving on vacation for the last 10 years I am ready and finally able to donate time and a little money to the cause.

I saw the Bare suits and the Scubapro's and would like to test drive or at least be able to see them in person but there are no retailers within 50-60 miles of me I think I may have to arrange a trip down state to do some shopping.

If you're not in a hurry, you can wait for the DUI DOG days and try out different dry suits.
2012 DUI Demo Tour Participating Rally Dealers
Whites hasn't announced their 2012 dates yet, but here's what they did for demo days last year:
Whites Diving Homepage - Whites Diving

I took the dry suit class and rented DUI CF200 one day, and Whites Fusion another day. To be honest, the whole experience of using a dry suit was new enough to me that I couldn't make an intelligent comparison of one versus the other. Several people I know use Whites, so that's what I bought; I've been happy with my choice.

First thing that I suggest is to get some experience, fins a mentor or a shop to dive with. Things tend to happen faster in cold water when the bottom falls out of the bucket. Welcome to Great lakes diving...you will want that drysuit! :)

Agreed. I would get someone to train you before you try the drysuit on your own. Diving with a drysuit isn't hard but takes some practice and it really helps to have someone show you the ropes so to speak. If you are having trouble finding a local dive shop, try searching for a local scuba club instead. Such clubs frequently have instructors as members. Finally, I AM a cold water diver. I have experience with several types of drysuits but my personal preference is a trilam type suit with latex seals. One brand I don't see mentioned here is Santi and the reason why I bring them up is because the offer a drysuit with heated undergarments!!! Unfortunately I don't (yet) own one but I've tested them it was AWESOME!!! If you are intrested contact member Wayne at DiveSeekers. He is more familar with them than me.

Hope this helps!

I am a novice diver even though I have been diving since 2001 I have only about 30 dives. I want to get a lot more diving done so I bought some gently used equipment including a ProSub Dominator BC, it is in excellent shape I tested it in a pool before I bought it and had it checked at the dive shop. So it is a good piece of gear. Now that I moved though I have no dive shop near by and wanted to know if it was ok to use during a drysuit dive in the Great Lakes this winter, and also an Ice Dive I would like to make this month?

Last I would like to buy my own drysuit but have no experience with the different brands. The only one I have used was a friends Abyss 4mm which was amazing but pricey. Any ideas on an entry level drysuit?

Entry Level...? Just go for the Experienced Level. I see so many frustrated divers trying this angle....People who buy a drysuit that have replaceable seals, and Proper Fit are the winners in this situation. We have watched so many divers flush money down the drain by buying a wrong size, ebay drysuit "I got a really good deal" etc....Go into your local shop, that is if they have drysuit experience and get measured. Get the best fit with attached boots that fit properly and spend some time getting used to the suit before going out in deepwater with it. Take a class if you can get it.
Don't shoot for the bottom of the barrel shoot for the best you can afford. I wish you were in Los Angeles and we could get you into one that is perfect. Unfortunately, trying to fit you over the internet is not the right thing to do. I need to see you. Know your height and weight. See if you are a custom fit. We have drysuits plastered all over our website too like everyone else but we would need to do this in person for me to be 100% correct.
I personally use a DUI TLS 350 with zip seals. Good Luck in your search, I hope you get it right the first time.

Good news, kinda. I found a local dive shop. They are across the border but thats not a big deal. They sell Bare dry suits but do not have any tech staff. The only instructor on staff teaches according to a system I have not heard of. I asked if they had any tech instructors around she said there are a couple guys who pay for some one to come in from Toronto and Detroit. She does have a guy neaby that is a PADI instructor so at least I can continue my rec education with him, until I am ready for a move to tech.

Hollywood, PM sent

Fitting into a drysuit is normally not hard unless you are a large man, large woman, have huge feet, or some other feature that makes shopping for clothing difficult.

Here is a Bare size chart:
BARE Dry Suit Sizing Chart

I dive a Bare Nexgen. I got it used for $400 with Underwear many moon ago, It still works and I replaced the seals a year ago. You can find these new on Ebay for $550-$750.

I demoed a Whites Fusion a few years back and that is my next Drysuit. Hands down the most wetsuit like diving in a drysuit. They come in even less sizes than the Bare! They are very comfortable.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/sizes/sizeWhitesFusion.asp

Good Luck

@Jax:
On a separate note, the prices on the Fusion seem to have gone up since Aqualung bought out Whites. I have also heard that, since the change in ownership, drysuit valves have been switched from the Si-tech to the Apeks brand. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, though.

Bubble I just got my Fusion last month and the Valves are Sitech. So I dunno who put that one out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom