Cold Water Wet Suit Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good point...I didn't say it was not an option, it just adds some complexity to the dives for a new diver, but the other side is that it is definitely the warmest option.

just out of curiosity, how cold is the puget sound?

I wore the 7mm setup w/hood in a 51 degree quarry here in Missouri in July, and it's the hands, feet & face that get cold, which I hate! But, the thicker the gloves, the less confident I am that I can control my gear because I can't "feel" it. So, I wore thinner gloves and dove with my hands in my armpits......

I just travel to warm waters if I want to have FUN when I dive! Otherwise, the cooler water around here is just for checkout dives....

At this time of year it will be warmer in the sound than out of the sound. Winter time it gets to about 45 degrees or so and Summer it can get up to 55. I do the bulk of my diving in the sound and I got my OW cert during a nice Feb weekend. The worst part for me was taking off the wet suit after the dive. The cold air and wet skin did not mix. I would suggest you have a nice warm car for her to sit in to remove the suit and get dry. The warm water will work on the second day of diving because the suit will still be wet and probably near freezing to put on. Just dunk it and put it on quick. I would also recommend a dry suit after the OW class. I started diving dry on my seventh dive, and I haven't gone back since.

whats the surface temperature in the puget sound ? what is the temp at the depth she'll be diving at ? scuba should be fun and you shouldnt be uncomfortable...that said -similarly to your wife, I just purchased a Bare suit - same one your wife has elastek arctic- 7mm plus the vest/hood - and couldnt do my OW near montreal (canada) in early October as they had 'stopped' doing wet suit dives as the temperature had dropped too quickly this year - not one to be easily deterred -i drove south a few hours in early November to Toronto and did my OW with Oakville Divers ( shameless plug for a great bunch of folks) in Lake Ontario - the surface temperature was 41 F and at depth (60') it was 38 F... the only thing that got cold was my feet - which i later realised was because i was wearing 3mm booties...
the consensus seems to be to 'go dry' - but consider that she'll be wearing a total of14mm of wetsuit... granted you can take what i know, put it in your back pocket -forget about it and still know more than i do about scuba but i'm willing to bet that she wont be as uncomfortable as you might think - frankly i'm still in awe that i wasnt at all cold, and in fact warm in those temperatures wearing that wet suit.....
granted , come the time to take that suit off and get dressed out in the cold,dripping wet....THAT was the moment i wished i had 'gone dry' ! you get wet when you go swimming - go for it !
marc

I find the worst thing is getting cold during the surface interval and then having to put the wet gloves and hood back on when I'm cold. So, as well as the woolly gloves, hat and warm jacket, a thermos of warm soup or coffee might be appreciated.

I did winter diving in a 7 mm up until this year and it was fine. There is a problem with the between dives and someone has already mentioned a full length dive jacket to keep her warm between dives....

Being in the PNW, she will want a drysuit. I have made a couple dives up there in the summer in my 7mm wetsuit, and it was okay for a single dive during the warm summer....but I can only imagine how miserable it would be to make a cold dive and then have only colder air in which to attempt to warm up.

If possible, I'd suggest getting her in a drysuit as soon as possible, and preferably be certified in it. I know of many new divers who have never made a dive in a wetsuit because they were certified in their drysuits. I also know of many divers who were certified in drysuits (but have been in a wetsuit in tropical locations since)....if you learn in the drysuit, it's not too bad....having to re-learn to dive in a drysuit is a bit of a pain at first, but it's not too bad. If you can get her in a drysuit from the start, she will be much happier and won't have to drill tiny holes in your wetsuit! :D

If you don't make the first dive comfortable for her it may be the first and last dive. Did you think about going to warmer waters. We checked at Vortec Springs in Fl during easter 2008. Water stays 68 all year . Just my 2 cents.

When my wife wanted to get certified here in Sacramento three years ago, I suggested that she not do her OW dives in Folsom Lake where the water temp in Feb is in the mid-40's. She did the class and pool work here, and then we flew to Maui where I lined up Doug Corbin @ Shaka Divers to be her OW instructor for the 4 dives in 80 degree water with turtles, sharks, etc.

Thanks everyone!!!

She didnt want to spend the bucks on a DS until she knew she liked cold water diving. So we will head up to the sound next month and using everyone's advice, hope for the best.

I still can't get over all the responses, you've made us feel quite welcome on the forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom