College Student Looking for Internship-Geology/Environmental Science/SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

misstopsail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there!
I'm currently a sophomore Geology and Environmental Science major at Miami University of Ohio, and an AOW diver. I am looking for an internship for summer 2010 in either one of my majors, or something related to diving, located somewhere in the USA (except for Columbus, Ohio).
If anyone has any suggestions of good programs to look into, i'll take whatever help i can get.
Or maybe you're a researcher and need a research assistant/slave/gear mule. I'm your girl.
Or maybe you own a LDS and need someone to help out around the shop (we could work something out where you instruct me and i run the shop for free!)
I spent last summer working as an environmental education intern for the NPS. I'm a hard worker, a quick learner, and would love any advice you can offer!

From the AAUS eSlate Publication:

Channel Islands National Park Internship
Channel Islands National Park's Kelp Forest Monitoring Program has a Student Conservation Association (SCA) internship available from February -November, 2010.
The intern will assist with all aspects of the Park's long-term kelp forest monitoring program (KFMP). The KFMP has conducted annual monitoring around the five Park Islands since 1982 and has recently added sites to evaluate new marine reserves. The intern will collect data on population dynamics of up to 70 species of fish, invertebrates and algae.

Most data are collected underwater using scuba and surface-supplied air. The intern will also assist with a three-month terrestrial vegetation monitoring program.
Desirable candidates would have a minimum of 50 logged cold water dives, an AAUS-recognized scientific diving certification, some vessel experience, excellent references, the ability and willingness to make up to five dives per day in water temperatures ranging from 50-73°F. Dive depth is typically less than 65 ft, frequently in dense kelp forests and exposed offshore locations. Applicants should be willing and able to hike 10 miles in remote, rugged off-trail terrain.
Remuneration includes a stipend of up to $640/month in addition to $650/month for housing, accident and medical insurance, and $2,000 to purchase scuba equipment. A $1,250-$4,725 Americorps Education award may also be available. Background on SCA is available at The SCA - Student Conservation Association | Conservation Begins Here. To apply, send a resume with cover letter to David Kushner (david_kushner@nps.gov; 805-658-5773). Diving history and biological experience should be described and references listed. Packages should be submitted immediately since candidate selection is to be made by the end of January.

Dude, if i could drop out of college right now and apply for that internship i would! I will remember them for after college (when i have a longer span of time). Thank you for you help :)

Back
Top Bottom