Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A recent conversation with a fellow diver and Scubaboard member has sparked my curiosity about how color blindness impacts all of us. Even though I have "normal" color perception, interacting with people who perceive colors differently should concern all of us. The importance of color perception is recognized in the military and is a qualifier for many jobs, including divers. I rarely see it discussed in recreational diving.

Unfortunately, according to every female in my life, being fashion-challenged appears to be independent of color perception. :(

Background:
There is tremendous human variation in color perception. About 4-8% of males and 0.4-1% of females are born with some level of color perception deficiency, commonly called color blindness. Intriguingly, many people don't actually know they see colors differently. The Ishihara Color Test is the most widely used and this link may be interesting for everyone who has not taken it.

The Test for ScubaBoard:
Although I will enjoy stories on how color blindness has impacted your diving, my main objective is to get feedback on readability and differentiation of colors on ScubaBoard. The feedback can be useful information in future ScubaBoard upgrades and can help everyone write better threads.

Please provide feedback on these samples. Can you tell they are all different and are some especially difficult to read or completely blank?
1: This is a reference for BLACK text, this is Bold.​
2. RED: This is a test for RED text, this is Bold. Color Number ff0000​
3 Dark RED: This is a test for Dark RED text, this is Bold. Color Number b30000​
4: BLUE: This is a test for Dark BLUE text, this is Bold. Color Number 0000b3​
5 GRAY: This is a test for GRAY text, this is Bold. Color Number 808080​

Finally, are there any areas or messages on ScubaBoard that you have difficulty reading? For example, red text on a light blue background. Thanks to all for your feedback.

Last edited:
My father was a textile chemist and he had to gtrain people to work in the lab. According to him most people weren't color blind they were color ignorant. How many of us can correcttly sort 60 shades of black?

What the purpose of this thread?

See below:

The Test for Scubaboard:
Although I will enjoy stories on how color blindness has impacted your diving, my main objective is to get feedback on readability and differentiation of colors on Scubaboard. The feedback can be useful information in future Scubaboard upgrades and can help everyone write better threads.

It can also be useful to know that your dive buddy can't see how much gas you have left on your color dive computer, can't tell the difference between DSMB's, or accurately use color codes on gas storage systems.

I guess a color blind dive master may not be able to see a diver needing help.

Maybe, or maybe they can see you better depending on what part of the spectrum they are limited by. My dad was seriously color blind in the green spectrum. He could not tell the difference between greens and grays. As he told us, he was very happy that the Navy relaxed their color blindness restrictions for the newly-formed Seabees (CB for Construction Battalion) near World War II. Apparently the Army valued solders that were color blind for snipers, especially in the green spectrum, because they could see past camouflage more effectively.

A recent conversation with a fellow diver and Scubaboard member has sparked my curiosity about how color blindness impacts all of us. Even though I have "normal" color perception, interacting with people who perceive colors differently should concern all of us. The importance of color perception is recognized in the military and is a qualifier for many jobs, including divers. I rarely see it discussed in recreational diving.

Unfortunately, according to every female in my life, being fashion-challenged appears to be independent of color perception. :(

Background:
Between 4 and 8% of males have some form of color vision deficiency. The numbers are 0.4-1% for females. Interestly, many people don't actually know they see colors differently. The Ishihara Color Test is the most widely used and this link may be interesting for everyone who has not taken it.

The Test for Scubaboard:
Although I will enjoy stories on how color blindness has impacted your diving, my main objective is to get feedback on readability and differentiation of colors on Scubaboard. The feedback can be useful information in future Scubaboard upgrades and can help everyone write better threads.

Please provide feedback on these samples. Can you tell they are all different and are some especially difficult to read?

This is a reference for BLACK text, this is Bold.

This is a test for RED text, this is Bold. Color Number ff0000

This is a test for Dark RED text, this is Bold. Color Number b30000

This is a test for BLUE text, this is Bold. Color Number 0000ff

This is a test for Dark BLUE text, this is Bold. Color Number 0000b3

This is a test for GRAY text, this is Bold. Color Number 808080​

Finally, are there any areas or messages on Scubaboard that you have difficulty reading? For example, red text on a light blue background. Thanks to all for your feedback.

I am severely colour blind, by which I mean I have (do not suffer!) a type of colour blindness called protanopia. It's rare even among people who are colour blind. Perhaps my perspective would be valuable to you.

Protanopia is a type of red/green deficiency. In my case I have a very hard time perceiving the colour red at all. This can lead to such difficulties as having a hard time seeing if a red traffic light is red or if it is turned off. Same goes with brake lights on cars and especially on transport trucks.

The reason transport trucks can be difficult to "read" for me is because of the large area on the back of the container. If it is decorated with any kind of advertising containing the colour red then when the brake lights come on I don't perceive a difference to how it was before that. I see the truck getting closer, which is what I respond to.

Similarly with street lights, I can see just fine if it's green. If it looks like it's turned off then it is not green and I stop. In some (rare) cases the light has indeed been turned off and I have stopped, in those cases much to the discomfort of the people behind me who didn't understand why I had stopped and expressed their discomfort with the waving of middle fingers, a little yelling and some honking of horns. Thankfully that doesn't happen often.

.... and yes, to answer your next question, I can drive but people with my type of colour blindness do apparently have more than their statistical share of accidents. I have had some accidents in my life time as well but not because of being colour blind.

The question is to put yourself in my position. What would YOU see if you looked through my eyes. It would look a lot like a broken television. If you have one of those RGB screens and you can turn off the red entirely, then you will get an idea of how someone with protanopia sees the world around them.

You will soon realize that any two colours (or shades of colours) containing any amount of red look exactly the same to me. To pick an obvious example the colours BLUE and PINK (which is blue mixed with red) look EXACTLY the same to me. In my world, there is no pink. Only blue. Like wise with the colours BLUE and PURPLE (blue mixed with red). I only see blue. So pink looks blue, purple looks blue. Other examples are obvious as well.

Finally, everything on the Red, Orange, Yellow, Green side of the spectrum looks brownish to me. Some shades of green look yellow, some shades of green look red and some shades of green look brown to me. The green on traffic lights looks white. I have a terrible time in that part of the spectrum. So basically even though the type of colour blindness I have is called a "red/green" deficiency, I'm off scale throughout easily half of the entire colour spectrum. Only clear blues are clearly identifiable to me if I know they are not a mix but I can never be sure that they are not pink or purple.

In addition there is a big difference in how I perceive the brightness of colours as compared to you. Red is the least bright colour (obviously) and in my world, blue is the brightest (most visible) colour in most situations and yellow is the brightest colour in high light situations.

It's not all bad news, however. It turns out as a fluke to this type of colour blindness that I am much more attuned to movement than peers and at night my night vision is considerably better than most people. This has advantages while diving as well. I notice this most when camping and I can see animals in the forest more easily than people whose eyes are "fooled" by the camouflage and I can often see animals moving around at night when other people only hear noises.

As an historical curiosity, I obviously inherited this deviation from my grandfather who had the same thing and was often added to forward patrols during WWII because (to hear him describe it) he could see Germans in camouflage like they were "wearing Christmas lights". That was obviously kind of handy for his unit.

This sensitivity to movement is probably a coping mechanism (compensation) for missing certain information and I think it could explain why I don't crash into transport trucks. In my experience, even though I often don't see the brake lights, I appear (the way I experience it) to be able to observe that the vehicle ahead of me is slowing down much MUCH quicker than most of the colour sighted people I've ever been in a car with and who have scared the bejezus out of me with how slowly they seem to react to traffic. Maybe this is related to having a heighten sensitivity to movement, I don't know.... Most of the time I just assume that it's because most people's brains don't process information fast enough.

So, getting to the point about text. You can really hammer it down into main lines like this:

1) anything blue looks blue for the most part. On the following sheet, the square on the bottom center and the square on the top left look very similar so I assume they are not pure blues. The others are easy to distinguish from one another when I see them together but the one on the center left is the only one I would identify as blue in isolation from the rest.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Shades_of_light_blue.png

2) Anything red looks brown. Only the intensity is different and I can't distinguish them (usually) on a computer screen. So dark grey, brown, black, any kind of red, dark orange, dark green and anything in between on that entire 1/2 of the spectrum pretty much looks identical to me. I can't identify any of these colour in isolation and have trouble even when comparing them together.

So when it comes to choosing text colours, if you want to satisfy the colour blind (and especially the severely colour blind) then you have limited choices.

YOU CAN USE BLACK. WE SEE THAT JUST FINE
YOU CAN USE YELLOW BECAUSE IT SHOWS UP WELL AND CAN'T BE CONFUSED WITH BLUE
YOU CAN USE MEDIUM GREY BECAUSE THERE IS NO COLOUR TO CONFUSE THINGS
AND YOU CAN USE BLUE BECAUSE WE CAN DISTINGUISH IT FROM THE OTHER TWO

And that's it.

incidentally, in the above example, I can read the yellow but I suspect you cannot unless it is put on a contrasting background like grey or blue. So if you want to service the entire community, you're basically stuck with black, grey and blue.

I hope that helps.

R..

Last edited:
I hope that helps.

Yes, very much thank you. Here is a specific example that uses red and blue text for different purposes. Is this method apparent to you and is the red text especially difficult to read? Oxygen Toxicity Limits & Symptoms

Specifically, this excerpt explains the objective. I didn't use the Scubaboard quote function because it italicises everything and changes the background color:

The following is an excerpt from the Navy Manual. I accentuated selected text in Red to address some of the most common misunderstandings. Comments in Blue were added for context.​

The blue comments are italicised so people with limitations in that spectrum can probably get the idea, as long is it isn't excessively difficult for them to see. I wonder if the red text in this post should also use a different font? I'm reluctant to use bold because it has the shouting effect and can obscure any bold that might be in the original quoted text.

Also, it this new warning tag in this post effective for you at drawing your attention?
Childhood Asthma-Commercial Diving Restrictions?

incidentally, in the above example, I can read the yellow but I suspect you cannot unless it is put on a contrasting background like grey or blue.

Yes yellow is difficult for me to read, but I can see it. Green on a white background is also hard to read, but visible. That s why green is not included in the first post.

Are color displays on dive computers difficult for you? This thread might provide some useful information to DC manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom