Color change fish in San Salvador, BH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone got a name for these guys.

They lived in the shallow grass flats on the east side of the island.

Saw a small school of them (less than 6), and as I approached they changed color to match the grass, and just floated in the surge (moving with the grass)..

fish34-1.jpg

Then, when I got within about 3 or 4 ft, they separated and went down in the grass and all changed to the following:

Note: I believe I followed the fish on the left

fish35-2.jpg

Anyone know what their name is??

Could be the Bucktooth Parrotfish Sparisoma radians
Rick

Phases are common in parrotfish; in the Bucktooth the Intermediate (these pictured are intermediate) and Terminal look very different. This is probably what you've read as "versions."
Color changes, on the other hand, are usually not mentioned for a couple of reasons. They're so common... for example, the common goatfish has a red color shift it uses to say "come clean me" that I've never seen mentioned in a book, but have seen frequently in the wild. Grouper have dramatic color-shift abilities, but you don't generally see that in the descriptions...
And, because most scientific descriptions are written from observing dead specimens rather than watching the fish in the wild, so the person writing the description may be unaware of the color changes, and once the "official" description is in writing, well... it is written :)
Rick

I don't have my Humann books with me here in Hong Kong to reference, but in general, they do a pretty good job of documenting all of the phases.

I don't have my Humann books with me here in Hong Kong to reference, but in general, they do a pretty good job of documenting all of the phases.

Viadimir, I think there is some confusion over the word "Phases".. if you look up a coney, you will see a yellow phase and and two color "phase". These are actually different colors of fish:

Coney50.jpg

fish70.jpg

One does not go from one to the other (at least that I have seen, and you can see them together).

As Rick has pointed out.. grouper can go from one color to another very quickly. Tiger grouper, when cleaning go all black. Hog Fish are really obvious in doing that.

In the case with the parrot fish, first time I have seen a school all do the same color change, at the same time..and the rust/white happened as they spread out and were no longer together.

I've posted this in another thread, but you may not have seen it. Here is a short clip of Glasseye Snapper going from dark rust-red to white in a few seconds :)
Enjoy...
Rick

I've posted this in another thread, but you may not have seen it. Here is a short clip of Glasseye Snapper going from dark rust-red to white in a few seconds :)
Enjoy...
Rick

Thanks Rick, that is such a perfect example of that fish seeing it was around white fish and turning white...and that was one I did not know could change color.

Back
Top Bottom