Color check underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anybody use x rite color checker or another similar one for underwater pictures or videos?

Thanks
I heard different opinions on this. Some people say in fact under the water you only need white grey and black color checker for the white balance since the lighting and color conditions are too variable for the videos and making color correction is very difficult with a color checker. Others say that it's possible to use a color checker tablet like the one at the link (which is waterproof I noticed) or other types, among these the X-rite

Well, you'll need to keep in mind that colors starts to fade with distance.
And the (sun)lighting influences colors as well.
Murkyness too.
All in all it's just a tool and you'll need to rely on your own eyes in the end.

And as for the problems mentioned on amazon:
Mine looks fine, but hey this is a 15-20 dollar tablet, versus 80+ dollar ones from x-rite.
You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
If you start the video recording the color checker itself you should have anyway a reference on colors while editing the video later at home
I would use it with red filters and lights
I am curious until now I never tried it, not even out of the water

Back
Top Bottom