Color on night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's SLAP THE NOOBIE time but.....

does the 'card' have to fill the frame, or just a 'significant' portion of the lens? folks talk about using a slate and such, but i can imagine the slate has to be quite close to the lens if it is going to fill frame.

as a quasi second question; i 'read' somewhere that you should set WB on an object approx the same distance away as you intend to 'shoot'. ie: set the WB on the sand 15' away to shoot a fish 15' away. yikes!!!! i just ask 'cos you mentioned setting the WB makes a big difference on WIDE ANGLE shots..... depeding on the answer to question #1, i'd need a slate the size of small shrimp boat!!!!

Mike Veitch:
What you need to do is make sure your WB icon in camera is turned on, point the lens at the card with red/orange filter on, in the direction you are going to shoot and then press the enter button.

meekal:
it's SLAP THE NOOBIE time but.....

does the 'card' have to fill the frame, or just a 'significant' portion of the lens? folks talk about using a slate and such, but i can imagine the slate has to be quite close to the lens if it is going to fill frame.

as a quasi second question; i 'read' somewhere that you should set WB on an object approx the same distance away as you intend to 'shoot'. ie: set the WB on the sand 15' away to shoot a fish 15' away. yikes!!!! i just ask 'cos you mentioned setting the WB makes a big difference on WIDE ANGLE shots..... depeding on the answer to question #1, i'd need a slate the size of small shrimp boat!!!!

Consider yourself slapped! And i won't mind if you sank most shrimp boats...

Anyhoo, i use a slate that is approx 4 x 6 inches i guess. I hold it out at arms length so is max about 1 foot from the lens. You don't need to WB the same distance but you should WB in the same direction you intend to shoot. Could i send you some Molotovs for those shrimp boats?? :wink:

M

Mike Veitch:
Anyhoo, i use a slate that is approx 4 x 6 inches i guess.

I use a patch a white sand. I find it easier than holding a slate in one hand, camcorder in the other and hitting the manual w/b button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom