Come Dive Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike - I will let you and Brent do the lava tube...... I will help haul you out of the water if you make it :wink:

It's not that I'm claustrophobic, it's just that I am......claustrophobic.

sitka diver:
U people need to come up here and see what the diving is all about...
Hey, score another fan of Alaska diving! Was in Sitka on a cruise for a few hours... just enough time to squeeze in one dive at Whale Park. Outstanding, ready for more dives up that way. (Grow, money tree, grow.) One of these days.
Brian at Island Fever was great, enjoyed diving with him.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - yep, Whale park is a great dive, and of course Brian is the best! He was my dive instructor, and he certified myself, my soon to be husband, my daughter, my sister and her boyfriend!
Hopefully your money tree will sprout like crazy and you can come back again soon!

seakdivers:
Hopefully your money tree will sprout like crazy and you can come back again soon!
Thanks, I'd love to! Great diving, nice people, beautiful area. Pretty good combination.

Hey, by they way, I'm impressed with you cold water OW cert divers. Learning to dive in a dry suit sure would add to the challenge (and expense).

Jeff

I'm glad I've happened across this thread. Hi Ken!! I spent a couple of months in Alaska a few years ago, in Jan & Feb. Sure it's cold then, but it's a wonderfully fresh cold that I need every now and again.

I dived three locations - Sitka/Juneau, Whittier (from Anchorage), Nome. I can honestly say my first dive in Whittier (with Alaska Cold Water Divers - great crowd) was the coldest dive I have ever made, and most of my diving prior to coming to Belize was cold water diving. To be fair, it was a night dive, and as I recall it was 10pm or so. And although I had carried a trilaminate suit with me I hadn't taken my thinsulate undersuit, and I put on as many of my general clothes as I thought would fit under the drysuit. It wasn't enough. It was only a weekend, and the day dives the following two days were much warmer. Although I haven't been there for 7 years I still get the monthly newsletters written by Jerry & Lisa (who run the club) and their descriptions really help me visualise Smitty's Cove. It's micro diving, where you cover a small area but the sealife is amazing. And one dive was the only one I've ever seen Orcas underwater whilst diving, two of them - a mother and pup (cub? calf?.....). That's cold water diving at its best.

At Sitka I was lucky enough to meet up with the local vet and doctor, and go out with them on their regular fishing trips. They went down with lead boots (not literally, but they did stay glued to the bottom) while I free scuba'd around them. That and the incredible scenery made for a highly memorable few days. Unfortunately my camera housing flooded on my last day and I lost everything so only have my memories. But hey, they give the best pictures.

Nome was quite an experience. Ice diving with a vengeance. The first time I've ever dived under an ice sheet which had an aircraft parked on it a few hundred yards away! The ice was several feet thick and the hole was kept clear with a chainsaw. Vis was dreadful and the dive was shallow and short. But what an experience.

I owe my good friends in Anchorage a repeat visit some time, so if Ken (Yakivet) plans a trip up there any time I can make I'd be seriously interested in joining in the fun. I'd have to get one of my drysuits sent over from the UK though. And buy some more decent cold water gear to replace what's recently been stolen from me.

I made the mistake on that trip of going prepared for too many activities. As well as scuba gear I had equipment for ice climbing & ski mountaineering and parachuting. Meant I was really lugging around a lot of gear that I only used once or twice. Next time I'll rent or borrow.

Bottom line is - I think Alaska is GREAT and would like to live there some day. Trouble is, as a Brit I wouldn't be allowed to.

:crafty:
peterbj7:
I'm glad I've happened across this thread. Hi Ken!! I spent a couple of months in Alaska a few years ago, in Jan & Feb. Sure it's cold then, but it's a wonderfully fresh cold that I need every now and again.

I dived three locations - Sitka/Juneau, Whittier (from Anchorage), Nome. I can honestly say my first dive in Whittier (with Alaska Cold Water Divers - great crowd) was the coldest dive I have ever made, and most of my diving prior to coming to Belize was cold water diving. To be fair, it was a night dive, and as I recall it was 10pm or so. And although I had carried a trilaminate suit with me I hadn't taken my thinsulate undersuit, and I put on as many of my general clothes as I thought would fit under the drysuit. It wasn't enough. It was only a weekend, and the day dives the following two days were much warmer. Although I haven't been there for 7 years I still get the monthly newsletters written by Jerry & Lisa (who run the club) and their descriptions really help me visualise Smitty's Cove. It's micro diving, where you cover a small area but the sealife is amazing. And one dive was the only one I've ever seen Orcas underwater whilst diving, two of them - a mother and pup (cub? calf?.....). That's cold water diving at its best.

At Sitka I was lucky enough to meet up with the local vet and doctor, and go out with them on their regular fishing trips. They went down with lead boots (not literally, but they did stay glued to the bottom) while I free scuba'd around them. That and the incredible scenery made for a highly memorable few days. Unfortunately my camera housing flooded on my last day and I lost everything so only have my memories. But hey, they give the best pictures.

Nome was quite an experience. Ice diving with a vengeance. The first time I've ever dived under an ice sheet which had an aircraft parked on it a few hundred yards away! The ice was several feet thick and the hole was kept clear with a chainsaw. Vis was dreadful and the dive was shallow and short. But what an experience.

I owe my good friends in Anchorage a repeat visit some time, so if Ken (Yakivet) plans a trip up there any time I can make I'd be seriously interested in joining in the fun. I'd have to get one of my drysuits sent over from the UK though. And buy some more decent cold water gear to replace what's recently been stolen from me.

I made the mistake on that trip of going prepared for too many activities. As well as scuba gear I had equipment for ice climbing & ski mountaineering and parachuting. Meant I was really lugging around a lot of gear that I only used once or twice. Next time I'll rent or borrow.

Bottom line is - I think Alaska is GREAT and would like to live there some day. Trouble is, as a Brit I wouldn't be allowed to.

Peter-

The last place I thought we'd cross paths would be on a "Come Dive Alaska" post.
I havn't made a trip North yet, not even for fishing this year, but I hope to coordinate a visit to Sitka and some diving with"Sitka diver" or "Seakdivers" in the near future. Its been a few years since I've had the cold water bug. Most of my cold water diving has been here in Washington State. Its a far cry from the warm and clear water of Ambergris Caye. When I put things together, I'll let you know and maybe you can escape off the island.

For all you cold water divers, when you're looking for a warm water winter escape, consider making a trip to Ambergris Cay, Belize and diving with Protech. Peter's operation is a good one. His boats are reliable, his divemaster's top notch, and they provide the only Nitrox in the area. :42: Ken :42:

Well......Peter & Ken what are you waiting for?? It's just a short airplane ride!! lol

So Peter - you dove with Burgess Bauder? He's a crack up. He's been the town vet for years (until we got a new vet about 10 years ago). He was in a National Geographic special about diving with humpback whales I think in the 80's.
He must have been geoduck "fishing" when you were out with him.

So.... Belize... ahhh - I wish!! I'm getting married in August, and I looked up all kinds of info on Belize for a honeymoon.... but...... my wallet said no.
I'm hoping to get there at some point in this lifetime!

seakdivers:
Well......Peter & Ken what are you waiting for?? It's just a short airplane ride!! lol

So Peter - you dove with Burgess Bauder? He's a crack up. He's been the town vet for years (until we got a new vet about 10 years ago). He was in a National Geographic special about diving with hump back whales I think in the 80's.

So.... Belize... ahhh - I wish!! I'm getting married in August, and I looked up all kinds of info on Belize for a honeymoon.... but...... my wallet said no.

Married in August?? So where'd you decide to go for the Honeymoon? Hoonah? Tenekee Springs? :wink: Just kidding- Seriously, Belize can be done on a budget. If the lodging prices of Ambergris Caye are a little high--And they are--check out Cay Caulker. Its the next little island over from Ambergris. The expensive condo's haven't found the island yet. A friend spent 6 weeks there on his divemaster's training and did it VERY cheaply!! Sorry Peter :wink:

For me, it is really just a short plane ride to Sitka. My wife's flight attendant benefits don't hurt either :wink: Its more of lack of time thing. I will try to put something together before the snow flies if your offer still stands.

So is Burgess Bauder the Veterinarian that owns the "Lighthouse" in Sikta. Or is it your new Vet. My wife has mentioned it several times as a very unique place to stay when visiting up there. As a Vet here in Central WA, I thought I'd check.

Congratulations on your engagement. :thumbs_up Ken :42:

Come on up and dive w/us we would love to have u here..Here are a few shots that I have took recently..

seakdivers:

So Peter - you dove with Burgess Bauder? He's a crack up. He's been the town vet for years (until we got a new vet about 10 years ago). He was in a National Geographic special about diving with humpback whales I think in the 80's.

Yes! I couldn't remember his name - it was Burgess. Please say hello from me - I was the crazy Brit who hung around for a few days in early 1998. Now all I want to do is remember the name of the doctor. We went out on Burgess' (I think) aluminum Carolina skiff. I chiefly remember the stunning scenery, and the orcas I saw on the surface. Only up at Whittier did I see any under water. I really want to go back some time. Any way of getting there cheaply from Belize/Cancun/southern US?

Back
Top Bottom