Comments regarding particle size of PTFE etc.,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Quallo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
NetDoc, thank you making us feel welcome and we promise to keep commercials to a minimum and focus on providing accurate, factual information. Fdog we regret that you felt that Tribolube71 provided ÅÂ nice concise description of the kinetics?

Firstly, Lewis acids are not generated by the presence of irradiated PTFE as written. Secondly, the residue described as ÅÊneffective PTFE is an important part of the grease and is not limited to ChristoLube ( KrytoxŽ® and FomblinŽ® use PTFE as thickener). Thirdly, ÅÏone of these proponents are soluble except in themselves. This is characterized by their molecular weight I am not sure what is meant. Fully fluorinated greases are dispersions not solutions and solubility is not herein dependent on molecular weight.

Regardless of how PTFE is manufactured, to get the optimal particle size and surface area for grease manufacture, irradiation of PTFE is state of the art. Is the manufacturer of Tribolube claiming not to use irradiated PTFE?

PTFE, as far as I know, is manufactured by dispersion (aka emulsion) polymerization and by suspension polymerization. No grease manufacturer uses virgin PTFE from either method to make grease and we use irradiated PTFE, supplied by fluoropolymer companies, to get to sub-micron particle size and the right surface area.

Complete Package At LTI our expertise in tribology and fluorine technology are in part responsible for making Christolube the grease of choice for regulators. We also supply various additives to improve wear and enhance corrosion resistance of ChristoLube. Solvents are available to help with clean up and we provide dispersions and emulsions for depositing thin lubricious films (solid and/or liquid) via spray cans or regular containers. We are also able to add color to our greases, including fluorescence, but these should be considered with care as they affect cost and in some cases may affect compatibility.

Hello Michael,

Welcome to Scuba Board. David (Tribolube71) has his work cut out for him converting us to his product, but I have to admit he has been doing a pretty convincing job. For years Christo-lube seemed to be the only O2 safe grease recommended by the major diving equipment manufactures; however, lots of us have been looking for an alternative due to the lack of information and competition (read competitive pricing).

I, for one, am looking forward to more of your post and a healthy discourse on the various products your companies sell. Personally, I'm just a do-it-yourself guy. My only knowledge of lubricants is from using them in my aviation career, rebuilding regulators and reading the data sheets made available online. Please keep me and most of the general diving public in mind when explaining the merits of your wares. One caution though, some of the denizens of SB like Luis, Pesky, Puffer Fish and probably FDog and a few more have very technical backgrounds are going to keep you honest.

Keep the post coming,

couv

<snip> Fdog we regret that you felt that Tribolube71 provided ÅÂ nice concise description of the kinetics?

<snip>

As said before, welcome to the forum Michael.

I <think> you're asking me this... yes, I did think it was a nice sketch of the kinetics. I would think anyone reasonabally fluent in chemistry would have followed it and "filled in the blanks", so to speak.

The effect appeaars to be well documented in multiple treatises on the topic, as well a numerous patents outlining methods to supress the formation of precursor active groups. Although the problem appears to be of interest chiefly in high-volume industrial applications, at first blush it appears that excess corrosion for scuba regulators is yet to be documented beyond a nuisance level (if at all).

David presented me with ample evidence regarding the high quality of Tribolube, in a way that I appreciated, so I said thanks.

Anyway, welcome to the board. I feel you will gain valuable insights to your customer's needs here.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom