[comments] Wearing 2mm shorty suit to SWIM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonathan920

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys i actually wanted to buy a normal shorty to swim but the thing is i cant find it therefore i thought of 2mm shorty wetsuit.since i am going to learn scuba diving in a few months time why dont i just get a 2mm shorty wetsuit but the problem is ... will i look weird if i wear it to a public pool? btw i am living in singapore =)

if you want to have a look on the suits this is the link: 2mm shorty - Google Image Search

hope you guys can give me some advices

thanks~!

If you think you will look weird swimming, just wait until you start SCUBA diving.

If they can get past all of the gear and hoses, then there's that huge long trail of goo coming out of your nose.

SCUBA divers just plain look weird. Get over it. It is not a pretty sport.

Have fun :wink:

I used to swim at the public pool on River Valley Road. There was usually a deviant or two lurking around. A few times a week there was a big ang mo in board shorts. A guy in a wetsuit shouldn't upset anybody.

I don't know what you mean by normal shorty as compared to 2mm shorty wetsuit, but I don't like shorties period. They are easier to fit, but they don't give the degree of protection in case of stings, scrapes, etc - diving and reboarding. I wear long jumpsuits.

For pool training tho, I think a regular swim suit and maybe a lycra T-shirt would be plenty.

Wetsuits (such as triathlon suits) intended for swimming are generally sleeveless or have special construction in the shoulders and arms to allow free arm movement. The majority of propulsive force comes from a swimmers arms, especially distance swimmers and anything that compromises free shoulder/arm movement is not suitable for swimming which would include most shortys designed for snorkel and scuba.

Such as these:

http://www.trivillage.com/ironmanwetsuits.html

You might also look in surf websites and shops for good sleeveless suits. Surfers also have to have free arm movement to paddle their boards and swim powerfully. A scuba shorty, yes, that would be looked upon as weird by "real" swimmers.

N

If that's what makes you comfortable then do it. I think you will find that in the pool there will be lots of folks coming and going with all sorts of adaptive gear for therapy, disabilities and as training aids.

Pete

http://www.actionsport-aruhaz.hu/in...lang=eng&SID=6d1eda718239a956c3383133f2fc19b9

I might ask, probably dumb, but what exactly about Singapore prevents you from wearing a swimming suit? Most lap swimmers or fitness swimmers or competitive swimmers or age group swimmers or tri swimmers still wear Speedo, TYR and similar swimsuits. Pantaloons and droopy shorts with pockets ballooning are generally not condusive to good swimming technique. A neoprene sleeveless swim shorty will give some warmth, if the water is not cool you will overheat, they also provide unnatural bouyancy which can be helpful I suppose. N

2mm shorty for Swimming in singapore?
You don't find it hot enough????

Why would anyone care? The only issue I see is one of expense. A 2mm shorty will quickly give way to a 3mm full or thicker depending on water temp and your tolerance for cold. If money is no issue, sure get one and swim!

Hay man, I wear my 3mm EVO shorty in my backyard swimming pool if I think the water is too cold. I will wear my weight belt, too. I try to take time every time I am in the pool to practice something. I know it sounds anal, but I was a firefighter for 10 years, and I can tell you that there is no such thing as practicing a skill too much....Oh, the wetsuit? Dude who cares what anyone else thinks? Just do it if it feels right for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom