Comparison of wide angle lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChemProf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at getting a wide angle lens for my Nikon WP-N1 housing (a Nikon 1 J2 camera) and see two possibilities which won't quite break the bank for me. These are the UWL-H100 28M67/Dome II system, and the Fantasea Line UWL-09F lens.

Inon does a good job of giving compatibilities for the Nikon housings, and I'm comfortable knowing the lens will work.

Mozaik wants to sell me the Fantasea, stating that it should work since it is similar to the Inon lens.

I haven't run across any comparisons of the two, and any review seems to always state only how great their lens is (either one). Are there others anyone would recommend within the same price range?

Does anyone have a comparison of the two through real experience? Part of my interest lies in the fact that the Inon uses a glass dome while the Fantasea is a polycarbonate dome. I am curious if anyone experiences any odd color rendition with the plastic dome?

Cheers!

The plastic is easier to scratch, but weighs less.
Neither is great (sharpness, color abberation) at the edges of the photo, and require mid-range f-stops to help. you ahve to spend a LOT of money to solve this problem!
Mozaik will do right by you if the lens has a problem with your setup.

Appreciate the thoughts, Tursiops.

The two lens setups are nearly identical in mass, actually.

I'm experimenting with UW photography, using an older Nikon 1 system and trying to equip it with good things so I can learn. If I decide to transfer to my D750 I'll simply be replacing the box in the middle. The f-stop issues will hopefully be much different at that point, if it really makes a difference to the photo's/video's intent. Right now I'm just aiming to get into the game! :)

I do want to learn what (if any) significant differences exist between the two, or if there's a better choice out there.

Back
Top Bottom