Compass and dive computer on the same wristband?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
My computer does not have a built-in compass, I was thinking about putting a compass on the same watch band so I could just flip my wrist when I needed to use it.

I tried it out and it did not seem to affect the poles with the metal in the computer watch.

I know it looks a little ridiculous and clunky but does anyone else do this?

Attachments

• 68317757-86E6-46A7-8BE2-23CB6ED836AF.jpeg
    68317757-86E6-46A7-8BE2-23CB6ED836AF.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 129
I wear a computer on each forearm, and my compass goes on the back of my right hand.

If it works for you, and doesn't throw the compass off I say go for it.

DW

I'll add another vote to "go for it," so long as you've thoroughly tested it doesn't throw the compass off. I'd perhaps try moving the compass just a little closer than it might be in practice, just to be sure. Also make sure you are comfortable enough with your wrist twisted in the appropriate position for your compass to work while underwater in horizontal trim.

Something I have seen experienced divers do, is put a cutting tool on the opposite side of their computer, on a wrist-strap made of bungee. Putting two items on a single wrist band isn't that foriegn.

In the near future, I'm planning on building an arm-gauntlet, which will hold my gauges, computers, compass, and more. It might look ridiculous to some people, but those person's opinions doesn't count. I'm just waiting for a few supplies to arrive in the mail, so I can get started on the next step.

DIY Arm Gauntlet-Style Console Brainstorming

I forgot to mention: Turn your computer on before performing the accuracy test. Electricity generates electromagnetic fields.

I just did a quick test with both of my dive computers turned on & touching my compass & rotated in a few different ways. The most I could get my compass to move was about 3 degrees, but just barely moving it away a few millimeters was enough for it to go back to normal. Obviously, test with your dive-computers, as you may get different results.

Yes, both always on my left. Not on the opposing sides of my arm, but at about 45 degree turn, the compass to the outside. The main reason is putting the BCD on is way easier if I put my left hand in 1st, then my free of gear right hand slips in smoothly.

There is more to compass positioning than whether it fits on your arm or is affected by your computer (or other metal/EM fields).
You also need to be able to read it properly and follow the direction it indicates. This means having the compass positioned in front of you, centered, level, and not able to rotate horizontally. If it is off to the side, you can't follow it. Many have tried, unsuccessfully. This is why a compass on a console is difficult to use; it is hard to get it centered in front of you while swimming. Most find that having the compass on the back of the wrist allows them to properly position it in front of them, centered. I don't think I could do that if it were on the bottom of my wrist. If I am on a compass dive, I like the compass on a retractor on a chest d-ring.

As to putting your left arm first into the BCD, that is NOT a best practice, which is to put your right arm in first, or if taking it off take your left arm out first. The reason for this is so if you need to do it underwater, with your regulator in your mouth, the reg hose doesn't get twisted...since it comes from the right.

I put it on the back of my left hand and use the computer on my right wrist

I've been doing the computer/compass combo on my wrist for decades. Absolutely no issues whatsoever! My 2psi.

8a7Ikh.jpg

I wear my VT3 and an analog compass on my left wrist. I find it easier to level and use the compass in this orientation and you can still glance at your computer. I have done this for 11 years. I have always had my second computer on my right wrist, that's been a Teric for the last 2 years, runs off the same transmitter.

upload_2021-7-1_10-28-47.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom