Compass Navigation run on obtuse triangle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at running a underwater compass course involving an obtuse angle. I know all the particulars (side lengths, angles) but I am trying to figure out how I would execute this course without all the knowns, a real live situation.

Assuming I can accurately measure my swim distances and there isn't any current:

Starting at a point, say a boat anchor, swimming due North on a 0 deg heading for 57 ft.
I vector left and swim 30 ft on a 315 deg heading.

Beside surfacing and looking to see where the start point at the beach or boat is, how would I determine what my return vector is to get back to my start point?

Doug

Off the top of my head, I'd head back about 85' on 165 heading, and look for the boat. I'd be closer to the boat when I surfaced than out at the other end of the dive. All that being said, my dives are usually not so precise that I need to bring a set of trig tables with me.

Bob
---------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

---------- Post added April 11th, 2015 at 08:38 AM ----------

If my trig skills haven't completely gone, by my calculations it is 78' on a heading of 170. Of course by the time I figured that out I would have been OOA, and have to come up at the wrong end of my dive anyway.

If you are that particular, look around for a PADI Nav-Finder, it is a circular slide rule that lets you track headings and distance and will calculate a heading and distance to your start point. Mine is for display purposes only, but it does work if used properly.

Bob
----------------------
My hero is "Wrong Way" Corrigan.

Last edited:
Good luck measuring distances under water and working this out there. Be sure to take your trig tables and pencil and paper.

I'd head back somewhere between 180 & 135 with some Kentucky windage.
Note some landmarks off the left peripheral on my way out on the 0 heading and try to spot them on my way in.

Navigation is an art form. Some art looks like sh-t.

Similar swim pace and use time as a measure of distance. Assuming no current.

Realistically, unless you're trying to hit a knife stuck in the sand at your starting point, getting within 100ft of the starting point is pretty stellar by me.

Can you execute this drill walking in unknown terrain? Basic orienteering. I would practice on land before a "wet" run.
YMMV
Eric

Blinking lights hung on the anchor line do work underwater.

Check out 'navfinders' as used in PADI's underwater navigation specialty course. Use that tool to track your kick-cycles and directions.

I'd cheat and go 30 feet on a heading 135 degrees and south for 57 feet. If you have decent visibility, head south for about 80 feet.

Back
Top Bottom