Compass Point dive resort GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compass Point / Ocean Frontiers (OF) is a great spot for diving. I wouldn't consider it an "eco" lodge; there really isn't any on Cayman, at least not in my view and experience in traveling. It is off the beaten path away from the hustle bustle of Seven Mile Beach area.

They have a pool and a shallow reef that works well for resort course type dives. The reef (Sunset and Sunrise Reef) are around 25' deep, inside the barrier reef and less than a five minute bow ride from the dock. The resort course at OF is half day, 45-60 minutes of classroom, an hour of pool (there is a nice pool on premises) and a 30-45 minute dive. One can continue to dive, during their stay, without going through the course each time if they dive with OF.

I used to live on the island and worked for OF.

Hi @SOFME

I've stayed at Compass Point and dived with Ocean Frontiers twice. Compass Point is one of my favorite land-based dive destinations and Ocean Frontiers is my favorite land-based operator. It is located on the quiet east end of Grand Cayman and there is diving on the north, east, and south sides, to fit the conditions. Sharks are not uncommon at the southeast corner. Breakfast is included with the rooms, there is a full kitchen in each to allow cooking of some meals. Packages include 2 dives per day, you can do 4, 5 a couple days that have night dives. It would be perfect if there was shore diving, unfortunately not. I would like to return there again someday.

I have a review of Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers here on SB along with Cobalt Coast on the other side of the island. Don’t have time to find and link it to this post right now.

Quite possibly the easiest diving procedures of anyplace I’ve ever been, as long as your staying there. They take care of everything except walking you out to the boat.

If you choose CP, I would suggest comparing the price they offer on their website with the price you can put together yourself through a little research. We found a 2 bedroom unit on Hotels.com (also got $30 rebate back after trip), figured the price of the diving we’d planned, and got our own car rental (we had stayed the previous week on the other side of the island so already had the car and done several days of diving) and it was cheaper than the package on CP’s website. We did not get the breakfast in our deal, but as I recall we still had the better deal. I don’t eat much on mornings I dive so that part of the CP package would have been a waste for me.

Even if you can’t work out a cheaper deal, I would still recommend staying there.

I wrote a fairly long review of my trip to Grand Cayman (and Compass Point / Ocean Frontiers) about 6 months ago in the Cayman Islands forum. I recommend you try the "search" feature.

Bottom line: It's an ideal location if you want lots of diving. There are few restaurants in walking distance, but you will generally want to have a car. Car rental is included in the package price, although Avis adds on a few misc fees.

EDIT:
I just noticed the OP put this in the "Advanced" forum. This thread should be moved to the Cayman Islands regional forum.

Anyone have experience with this outfit?

Compass Point Dive Resort in the Cayman Islands

I would appreciate input on other, low key/remote, eco friendly, hotels/resorts that caters to diving. Were still undecided on a location. Leaning toward Belize, or an ABC Island.
Compass Point is all-around great. (Though probably not your spot if you want to shore dive.) We're heading back there ourselves soon.

Everyone's definition of low key/remote is different. For Cayman it's low key/remote, but it's not 6 bungalows on a deserted sand speck of an island, with electricity from a generator from 5-9 and no A/C.

As far as eco friendly, that can mean many things too. Again, if you're looking for those bungalows with the composting toilets, it's obviously not that. It's very first world, but there is a decent degree of eco-consciousness, and a section about it on their web site. (Lighthouse Point is another dive resort on Grand Cayman that does this.)

I have not stayed there but have dived with OF many times. A1 operation.
Nothing on Cayman seems to be eco friendly apart from maybe Lighthouse. I think they have some solar, a windmill, and the developer drives a hybrid. There is a huge mountain of trash and old tires on the island that intermittently catches fire. The electric power plant burns oil. Recycling does not seem to be a thing yet.

Back
Top Bottom