Compatible cameras with Zeiko(olympus) lenses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard that a few other camera makes( panasonic and sony are two that may) are compatible with Olympus lenses. Could anyone specify which ones if this is correct.

You are thinking about Micro43(M43) cameras. You can use Olympus M43 lenses on Panasonic M43 cameras and vice versa - no adapters, they just work. The old four thirds Olympus lenses (when they were SLR - not mirrorless cameras ) can be used on Olympus bodies with a 4/3 - M43 adapter, not sure how they go on Panasonic bodies.

Adapted lenses with a few exceptions are generally a pain to deal with, most common are Canon lenses on Sony and also Canon on Olympus for wide angle work. On these with the Metabones adapters AF is good enough and the auto diaphragm works to allow you to set aperture when the lens is housed, but underwater you need to deal with different port extensions and also different zoom gear if required which tends to restrict your choices unless they are a popular adaption like a Canon 8-15 fisheye on Sony that has been tested and accommodated by manufacturers. Of course if you like to fiddle and have a 3D printer to make zoom gears, a lot more is possible.

The Oly micro 4/3rds lenses titled M.Zuiko and Panasonic 4/3rds lenses are interchangeable. Some of the optics on the Panasonic lenses are intriguing since they are produced by Leica. The primary difference is that the Panasonic lenses have image stabilization (IS) mechanisms in the lenses whilst Olympus have IS in their camera bodies. So an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body won't have IS available. The IS in the lens is a failure point and extra weight to consider.

I use an adapter for my 11-22mm ƒ2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital and my 50-200mm ƒ2.8-3.5 zoom lenses which were originally purchased for an Oly SLR, on my Olympus Pen bodies (E-PL5, E-PL7, E-PM1). Focus is a little slow at times. I don't know if it's these older lenses or an incompatibility with the bodies.

A site I like for lens reviews:

Lens Reviews

Thanks yall. Here's the deal. I have a PM1 and had a 60MM micro given to me as a gift. I would like to upgrade cameras because manual WB is a pain in the butt with the minipen. Being that I have a ( to me) expensive lense that I am not willing to conceded if moving to another brand. Also I don't want to be limited in price by being "forced" to stay with Olympus so that one lense I own will work. I know an upgrade is going to be expensive however I still would like some options. And no, I do not shoot manual WB in macro mode, I don't want two cameras, one for macro and on for wide angle. Its beginning to appear that I may have to go back with point and shoot.
So Chris Ross, Panasonic 4/3 and Oly 4/3s are compatible?

Any lens that you can mount on your PM1 you can also mount on any of the Panasonic M4/3 cameras (G, GF, GH, GX series) as well as other cameras using the Micro Four Thirds (M4/3, M43, MFT) mount such as Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K or Yi M1. No adapters needed, it'll just work.

Note that there are also older Four Thirds (without the 'Micro' part) lenses out there, used mostly by older Olympus DSLRs, and these ones will need an adapter to mount. With Olympus lenses, 'Zuiko' designates the older Four Thirds, while M.Zuiko designates the newer mirrorless Micro Four Thirds.

Yes that's correct, there's plenty of options for m43 cameras you can use your 60mm macro with. The Oly EM-10 MKIII is a good starting point, though housing options are a little limited. One approach might be to watch the classifieds here and at wet pixel to see what housings come up for sale.

Yea, that blows my mind, I have seen cameras that interested me then I found the housings to be twice the cost of the cameras, OUCH!

Back
Top Bottom