Complacency kills - It's not just an empty threat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue was a combination of being rushed (please note this was all on me, my buddy did not say a word to rush me in any way!) ...

If I were to cite the single biggest contributor to many diving incidents (both OC and CC), I think it would be "rushing to get in the water".

Every time I have an equipment issue, it's because I rushed. Heck, I had a full suit flood last Sunday (drysuit, cold water) simply because I was in a hurry putting on my hood.

Taking your time to do what you know is the right thing is probably the best single preventative action you can take.

Thank you for the timeline and sure am glad you are here to give it.

Found myself wishing when we hit line:
"920 responsive and irritable, small amount of phlegm " that was the end of the of the incident. .. sounds pretty normal.

Horrified realize how the recovery was needed to continue. Hypoxia can be significantly worse than I gave it credit for (well, besides drowning). My freediving and couch diving blackouts, I've come to without medical intervention and felt fine (splitting headache).

Hate to think how that would have terminated without the divers you happened to have on hand.

As far as prevention, anything on your HUD that warned of the low pp02 that might have been noticed? Or other design features which safeguard against this?

Cameron

Glad to read this story in the incident section rather than in the one below it.
That other story would probably read very much like the recent tragedy in Hawaii.
As for the lessons to draw from it, as far as I am concerned, it is not so much the screw up per se, but the culture that made it possible. It's truly the elephant in the room.

Technically, I would beg to differ about the point the OP makes that the type of rebreather doesn't make any difference. I believe it does. An automatic unit breeds complacency, an hybrid one a bit less (but barely) and a manual one a lot less. As for a low setpoint of 0.5, what's the rationale? I believe some units go as low as 0.4, which strikes me as borderline suicidal...

I think anyone who knows rebreathers can tell it was an eCCR. My original comment was intended to mean I feel the brand/model unit is unimportant, not the type.

I also dive an mCCR. While this specific failure would not happen on an mCCR, there are others which could happen and cause a similar outcome. The pre-dive checks are different, and rushing and skipping vital steps can kill you just as easily.

I also dive an mCCR. While this specific failure would not happen on an mCCR, there are others which could happen and cause a similar outcome. The pre-dive checks are different, and rushing and skipping vital steps can kill you just as easily.

yup, failure to turn the in-line shutoff on, which is turned off when not breathing on the unit, would have caused the same net outcome....

I think anyone who knows rebreathers can tell it was an eCCR. My original comment was intended to mean I feel the brand/model unit is unimportant, not the type.
Agreed.
True.

If I were to cite the single biggest contributor to many diving incidents (both OC and CC), I think it would be "rushing to get in the water".

Every time I have an equipment issue, it's because I rushed. Heck, I had a full suit flood last Sunday (drysuit, cold water) simply because I was in a hurry putting on my hood.

Taking your time to do what you know is the right thing is probably the best single preventative action you can take.

Exactly. This is why I think a written, physical checklist, attached in such a way so that it is easily readable while wearing the unit, is crucial. I know that very experienced rebreather divers often feel that they are so familiar with the steps that they rely on memory. And that’s probably OK 99% of the time. But it only takes one time when you’re rushed, or sick, or angry, or dealing with a new piece of gear, or anything else that can cause the best human memory to slip.

That checklist forces a pause. It means that you do the prebreathe every time, not just when you aren’t in a rush. And I always appreciate it when the crew won’t let me splash until I answer the question “what is your PO2?”

Exactly. This is why I think a written, physical checklist, attached in such a way so that it is easily readable while wearing the unit, is crucial.
Let those who have never skipped a single item on a written checklist or never thought "I know THIS is OK, no need to bother" raise their hands. I mean, those alive of course...

Let those who have never skipped a single item on a written checklist or never thought "I know THIS is OK, no need to bother" raise their hands. I mean, those alive of course...

Yup, but I was suggesting using a written checklist. What you are describing is NOT using a written checklist...

Yup, but I was suggesting using a written checklist. What you are describing is NOT using a written checklist...
Yes, and this goes back to the line with "culture" in it in my first post above. BTW, I am p.... to have to admit that I can't raised my hand, for both reasons. And for a third, because of course, there is also skipping by mistake, since using a written checklist that you do not physically check off each item of, is a poor substitute. Better than nothing (think rEvo), but not foolproof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom