Complete Rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tablets

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking to get a complete rig for BP/W and I went through the setup. I was just wanted to make sure the package includes everything I'll need and/or is there something additional I may want to get or look into. I did the single tank setup. Also just a couple questions on some of the products.

- What's the actual length of the "Extra Long" stainless steel backplate?
- Do I need a single tank adapter for backplate?
- What's the difference between Torus and LCD? Is it just the zipper?

1-call Tobin, not sure why dimensions aren't on there, but if you're 6'11" you need it, standard plates are good to about 6'1", long till about 6'7" or so depending on back length.

2. no the rig is designed to specifically avoid them for single tanks

3. Torus is a torus, i.e. donut, LCD, full circle. LCD is a horseshoe so no crossover in the bottom of the wing. For the XLong backplate without an STA you won't get hardly any air transfer across the bottom of the wing, so it isn't a huge selling point, get one that fits your needs.

To find out those needs, you'll need to know how what tanks you'll be using *mainly how negative or positive they will be*, where you'll be diving *temperature and salt/fresh water*, and what exposure protection you'll be using and most importantly how much weight it takes to sink you with said exposure protection on. Only then can you determine the best wing size for you. Tobin will ask all of these questions when you call him btw.

I was looking to get a complete rig for BP/W and I went through the setup. I was just wanted to make sure the package includes everything I'll need and/or is there something additional I may want to get or look into. I did the single tank setup. Also just a couple questions on some of the products.

- What's the actual length of the "Extra Long" stainless steel backplate?
- Do I need a single tank adapter for backplate?
- What's the difference between Torus and LCD? Is it just the zipper?

We don't include the overall length of the plates because it's not what matters for fitting.

What matters is the distance between the top of the plate and the lower harness slots.

That spacing can be independent of plate length depending on the designer.

Not STA required. I'd encourage you to view the video's on the DeepSeaSupply.com website Lots of good information about how our rigs work.

Regarding wings, far more important to get the capacity correct than to worry about horseshoe vs donut.

I need more information to size either a plate or wing. I'd suggest you give me a call.

I expect to be out of the office tomorrow until about 3:00 pm California Time. 626-799-5078.

Tobin

I'm 6' 11", 220. I dive single steel 100. Usually colder freshwater sense I live in Wisconsin. 7mm full suit, 7mm hood, 5mm gloves, 7mm boots, 16lbs of weight. Recently I dove my 7mm, no hood or gloves, in florida and had 20lbs in saltwater. I do plan on getting a 3mm for warm waters eventually but I have to get it custom fitted.

As far as the wing I was asking mainly because design and materials looks mostly the same and was trying to figure out besides shape if there was any difference besides one having a zipper and one didn't. I thought Torus and LCD was like the name of that particular design.

Torus is a shape, think donuts, not sure what LCD stands for. Surprised you haven't tried to find a set of HP120's at your height, you'd be much more comfortable....

I'd probably go for the LCD30 if I were in your situation. Call Tobin, he'll get you squared away.

It's really best to call me, but based on your info:

At 6'11" Your need a Extra Long Pattern Plate. These plate exist because I had a dive buddy who was as he used to put 5' 23" tall. :)

Wings have to be sized for the most buoyant suit you plan to use with that wing. 16 lbs + a reg and steel 100 is about 20 lbs of total ballast. We can assume your current BC is ~3-5 lb bouyant. So that leaves ~20-4 or 16 lbs of total ballast for you in fresh water. That also makes sense that you need ~4-5 lbs more in salt.

Looks like your suit is about + 24 in salt water and your rig, i.e. ELP SS plate, harness, reg and full HP 100 will be about ~-19 to 20 lbs with a full tank.

Your wing needs to be able to float your rig with a full tank if you ditch it, and provide enough lift to compensate for a fully compressed suit.

You could possibly use a Torus 26, and that is a reasonable choice if you have no plans for thicker suits or future dry suits. If you do a LCD 30 may be a better choice so you don't run out of wing with a more buoyant suit in the future.

Recap:

Stainless Steel Extra Long Pattern Plate
Hogarthian Harness
Torus 26 / LCD 30 Wing
(Cambands and wedge blocks are included)

I'd still recommend you call. I making a few assumptions here that may not be accurate.

Tobin

It's really best to call me, but based on your info:

At 6'11" Your need a Extra Long Pattern Plate. These plate exist because I had a dive buddy who was as he used to put 5' 23" tall. :)

Wings have to be sized for the most buoyant suit you plan to use with that wing. 16 lbs + a reg and steel 100 is about 20 lbs of total ballast. We can assume your current BC is ~3-5 lb bouyant. So that leaves ~20-4 or 16 lbs of total ballast for you in fresh water. That also makes sense that you need ~4-5 lbs more in salt.

Looks like your suit is about + 24 in salt water and your rig, i.e. ELP SS plate, harness, reg and full HP 100 will be about ~-19 to 20 lbs with a full tank.

Your wing needs to be able to float your rig with a full tank if you ditch it, and provide enough lift to compensate for a fully compressed suit.

You could possibly use a Torus 26, and that is a reasonable choice if you have no plans for thicker suits or future dry suits. If you do a LCD 30 may be a better choice so you don't run out of wing with a more buoyant suit in the future.

Recap:

Stainless Steel Extra Long Pattern Plate
Hogarthian Harness
Torus 26 / LCD 30 Wing
(Cambands and wedge blocks are included)

I'd still recommend you call. I making a few assumptions here that may not be accurate.

Tobin

Actually you seem to be pretty much on with everything. I was thinking of a possible dry suit in the future. 7mm will get you by, but in upper 30s it's not that comfortable for long term. Most likely I'm thinking the LCD 30. Would a Torus 35 be better sense it doesn't have a zipper or does that really matter all that much? Or would that just be too big of a bladder? I'm not sure how much more lift going from a 30 to 35 is or is it a negligable difference that it really doesn't matter.

A couple of years ago I called Tobin and within 30 minutes he knew what type of diving I was doing and going to do, my physical attributes and set me up with a great "rig".

His is my favorite BP/W to dive with (best one out of six I own).

One of the best calls I have ever made...

Actually you seem to be pretty much on with everything. I was thinking of a possible dry suit in the future. 7mm will get you by, but in upper 30s it's not that comfortable for long term. Most likely I'm thinking the LCD 30. Would a Torus 35 be better sense it doesn't have a zipper or does that really matter all that much? Or would that just be too big of a bladder? I'm not sure how much more lift going from a 30 to 35 is or is it a negligable difference that it really doesn't matter.

Required wing capacity for cold water diving is function of the buoyancy of you exposure suit. If your dry suit is more than 30 lbs positive you need a wing bigger than 30 lbs lift capacity, if it isn't you don't.

If you don't have the Dry suit yet I'd probably go with the 35, but you may want to get a smaller wing for warm water.

Tobin

Thank you for the all the help. I placed my order today. I never had a snug fit and always had a loose waste and a shifting tank going vertical. So I'm excited to see how it feels in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom