Complete ScubaPro MK2/R190/R380 Repair Steps/Parts List...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Support America, buy domestic! :)
Another possible source is the transparent plastic "box" Samsung used to package their harddisks with, but of course, that's imported too.
Go thru your junk box: the plastic cover for the current SP service kits is about .26mm and should work as well.
e

Tried to use a thick plastic box but my cutting skills need work. Will try again with a proper x-acto knife. I just rebuilt a mk-5 and the IP is low also. Before the rebuild it was at 115 IP with 1 shim and a red seat. Now it is at 125 with 1 shim and a + seat. I measured out the shim and I get roughly 1/2 ID and 3/4 OD. I am not sure if my eyesight is off or the shims are metric. These look promising.

Way too expensive, keep on digging.
Your measurements are about right; I've got .5"/12.2mm and .787"/20mm.

Were you able to find the shims you were looking for? The thickness (and hardness) is the important thing for IP. Inside/outside dimensions just need to fit inside the body and allow smooth spring compression without wandering around too much.

Were you able to find the shims you were looking for? The thickness (and hardness) is the important thing for IP. Inside/outside dimensions just need to fit inside the body and allow smooth spring compression without wandering around too much.

No I didn't. I decided to go back and read the Harlow book. He mentions that the shims are .012 (I think) but that the wrong material could cause a "cold flow" problem. Unfortunately, he does not go into detail what exactly that means. So I stopped rather than try to experiment. I have a few junker first stages I can strip if I want the shims. I also can convert a Mk-20 to a MK-25 and keep the extra shims.

Cold flow- the slow extruding of material subjected to pressure without the benefit of heat...or at least that would be my def. I would not worry too much about it, the effect would be a very slow drop in IP, certainly not life threatening. Granted not something you would want to do with a paying customers reg but for your own, I don’t see an issue with it. At worst you have to go back in and replace the shim or just adjust the second stage and go on.

I tried the washers below on a MK5 and they fit a little tight but do work. Someone let me know if they believe these will cause certain death.

PTFE Washer .500 ID x .812 OD x .010 thk 50/pk C13034

[FONT=&quot]http://www.ebay.com/itm/PTFE-Washer-500-ID-x-812-OD-x-010-thk-50-pk-C13034-/390284046419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adebdf053[/FONT]

I tried the washers below on a MK5 and they fit a little tight but do work. Someone let me know if they believe these will cause certain death.

PTFE Washer .500 ID x .812 OD x .010 thk 50/pk C13034

[FONT=&amp]http://www.ebay.com/itm/PTFE-Washer-500-ID-x-812-OD-x-010-thk-50-pk-C13034-/390284046419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adebdf053[/FONT]

Well your price is much better than McMaster Carr. When you say it is tight, I assume you mean placing it between the body and the spring?

Well your price is much better than McMaster Carr. When you say it is tight, I assume you mean placing it between the body and the spring?

When I measure the inside diameter of the balance chamber with my cheap calipers I get about the exact same or a few thousandths less than the outside diameter of the shim.

I tried the washers below on a MK5 and they fit a little tight but do work. Someone let me know if they believe these will cause certain death...

You're already dead, except you don't know it.
Good find!

If you need to take a little off the outside of them, put 5-10 or more of them on a bolt with metal washers slightly smaller than the size you want on each side and clamp them tight with a nut then spin them in a drill press or hand drill. I use a lathe but I know most of us don't have one handy. Use a file or sandpaper (100-120 grit is good) to trim down the outside edge as they spin. A file is best. The washers will come out cleanly cut down with no ragged edges, it's faster too. If you can't find a bolt of the proper diameter or it will not fit in your drill, use a smaller bolt and wrap layers of electrical tape around the bolt until the washers snuggly slide on. Metal shims can be cut down the same way but it does take a little longer to do.

Back
Top Bottom