completely wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saved $300 dollars 5 years ago by buying a second hand BCD and REG from the internet. It is a great piece of equipment. The only problem is that I have to pay every year to get them serviced, in which, has cost me more than $300 total so my savings are gone. I bought a set from my LDS and they service it for free for life ( parts not included if it ever needs any) In the long run I think I saved buying from the LDS. Without the LDS we would have to go on line to get air so lets support them. So for my BCD and REG I buy LDS.

BCs don't really need service. Regs are another matter and a ebay deal may very well cost you more in the long run, even within a few years.

craborn:
I bought a set from my LDS and they service it for free for life ( parts not included if it ever needs any) In the long run I think I saved buying from the LDS. .

Does you LDS provide free service (labor) to all customers who purchase new regs from them or are you receiving this benefit because you instruct with them? If for all customers, please identify the LDS. It sounds like a really great deal for anyone who can use that shop.

Ber Rabbit:
You can also check your local dive shop and see if they have used gear for sale.

I'll second that. One of our local shops has a consignment area; I bought my first BCD there and I got a good deal.

As a sidebar to any LDS owners/managers reading, I find that I visit this store more than any others in the area and I spend more money there because of the consignment area. It's actually not that close to where I live and it's not on the way to anywhere that I need to go regularly. I stop in because it's fun to see what turns up on consignment. I end up going there for service, fills, classes and other gear purchases, too.

I feel for ya. I am in the same sort of position. I didn't get my stuff of E-bay, but I got most of it used. You can try your LDS for old rental stuff, Discount Diver supply in Seattle has a lot of used gear they sell. Another good place to get used gear is Craigslist. Got my BCD from there for a heck of a deal, got to look it over and test it out a bit before plunking down hard earned cash. It has worked great so far. I figure for all my gear i'm into it for less than $700. There are deals to be had, you just have to keep your eyes open and know what your looking for. Regs form E-bay or a local seller should be serviced (at least checked out) before use.
Good luck

Jake

If the bladder holds air, you may consider replacing the lp inflator mechanism ($30), but otherwise there are not too many things that need servicing/replacement on a BCD.

You might also check out http://www.scubal.com for a new BCD as their prices tend to be very low (new BC for $150) and they are well built.

Aloha, Tim

Don't forget the ScubaBoard MarketPlace classifieds as well :wink:

Sometimes just by being patient and watching for deals (ebay or elsewhere), you can find almost new gear for half or less what it sells for new at an LDS.... like the Black Diamond weight integrated BCD in new condition with about 30 or so dives on it that I would love to unload :D

Snowbear:
Don't forget the ScubaBoard MarketPlace classifieds as well :wink:

Sometimes just by being patient and watching for deals (ebay or elsewhere), you can find almost new gear for half or less what it sells for new at an LDS.... like the Black Diamond weight integrated BCD in new condition with about 30 or so dives on it that I would love to unload :D

Or like the IDI Nekton Ballistic weight integrated with 35 dives and new condition 'I' have. PM me if you wear an XL and want a good deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom