Compressor and smoke distance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sho0ter_McGavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've gained access to multiple recent coroner investigations regarding diving deaths in my province (Quebec).

Among the report, one seems botched. The coroner has a very short description of the autopsy report and even gets confused at some points, telling there is evidence that there is a lung trauma and then saying there is no trauma. The coroner is an attorney, doesn't seem to have a lot of biology knowledge, let alone know about scuba diving.

I am considering trying to submit a complaint about coroners not having enough formation, especially attorneys, concerning scuba diving. When doctors do the investigation, they might not dive, they do possess the knowledge about how the body works to investigate each and every crevice and report it in the final report. The reports seem complete, though might lack information on how to prevent an accident. To do so, I have to show the need for more formation.

In the report I am referring to, the autopsy report fits in a single paragraph. It is confused and doesn't even touch the surrounding areas where the person died, brushes a possibility of ice (5 celsius water) jamming a pipe, seems to consider emphysema as a cause of death, but never finds a "probable cause". Instead, it looks headlessly everywhere and nowhere, never pushing the investigation further than the hypotheses.

A whole spectrum of causes that have not been investigated were related to gas and losing consciousness. Not a single mention of it.

Why I am asking for compressor distance

The diving school the woman was diving with has a private access to a lake and a compressor close to their building which is heated with wood.

You might see where I am going,
I am trying to see if the air supply (which is not mentioned in the coroner's report) could have been tainted by carbon monoxide. To do so, I would like to know if anyone knows of a relative distance in (or out of) which it is safe or dangerous to use a compressor. I know wind and other conditions could alter the situation, but

the fact that Quebec has the only government (in Canada) involvement in diving says that maybe that wasn't what was really needed , I stay away from Quebec as an IT / IE and am not recognized as a competent diver till proven by a Quebec instructor............say what ?

I'm not sure you can precisely define a safe distance given the other conditions you mention. A compressor near CO source runs the risk of contaminated gas supply if it's not equiped with a sensor or the gas in the tank is not tested. This may have been the case in the situation you describe, but if the tank wasn't tested it is just speculation.

Spitballing, but I bet anything over 20 ft would be sufficient under most conditions. If it were MY compressor, then I would keep the intake at least 100 ft from any pollution.

Curious to me that the air wasn't tested.

I'd think there'd be benefit in pursuing standard checks as well as situational checks, doctor coroner or no.

Curious to me that the air wasn't tested.
I doubt that tanks are hardly ever tested for CO even after deaths. Tank testers are still rare. I bet that few fill shacks even have room CO alarms, much less inline monitors.

How often do you see CO alarms in hotel rooms. I never have, but most have heaters on the property. I think water & pool heaters are the biggest risks.

Thanks for the answers!

I'm not sure you can precisely define a safe distance given the other conditions you mention. A compressor near CO source runs the risk of contaminated gas supply if it's not equiped with a sensor or the gas in the tank is not tested. This may have been the case in the situation you describe, but if the tank wasn't tested it is just speculation.

Some other reports do mention testing the tanks or their inability to test (because the tank was empty in one case). I can remember one where the diver died because of alcohol and cocaine paired with a CO tainted tank. It all depends on who decides what is investigated, namely the coroner and the police when doing their investigation.

Yeah, that's what I feared. I hoped there would be a distinct answer distance-wise. From another diver that had his OWD there, they don't run tests on cylinders, but I have yet to know if the compressor has a sensor or not. I am waiting on documents from them to know more. They tend to take their time when ordering such documents...

the fact that Quebec has the only government (in Canada) involvement in diving says that maybe that wasn't what was really needed , I stay away from Quebec as an IT / IE and am not recognized as a competent diver till proven by a Quebec instructor............say what ?

And this relates to... ?

@sho0ter_McGavin Is there somewhere other people might be able to read the report? I don't know if you are medical or not, but some of the stuff can be confusing/unclear, and perhaps another set of eyes might be able to give insight?

@sho0ter_McGavin Is there somewhere other people might be able to read the report? I don't know if you are medical or not, but some of the stuff can be confusing/unclear, and perhaps another set of eyes might be able to give insight?

Sure is available, but it's in french. I've had the report read by relatives and friends who are in the medical field. It was actually one of them (also a diver) that raised many issues with how it was written.

https://fqas.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2017-09-17-Tasha-Anne-Johnson-Wallace.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom