Computer by pelagic pressure systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrew sham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was looking for a dive computer and I mentioned in one dive shop that I liked aqua lung I300c for a starter computer. This dive shop owner told me to stay away from aqua lung or any computer made by Pelagic Pressure Systems. He said they are notorious for having battery leaks and that he has had several customers who told him their aqua lung computer fried on their first dive with it. But, after a quick google search I can't find anything to back up his statement. Has anyone else ever heard this.

Hi @andrew sham

My family owns 6 Oceanic computers, dating back to 2002. Two of the Pro Plus computers from 2002 eventually had failed pressure sensors after 8 or 9 years that could no longer be repaired. Oceanic replaced both of them with refurbished Pro Plus 2s at no cost, they are going strong today. The other 4 computers have never had any issues, another Pro Plus 2, a VT3, a Geo2, and a VT4. My primary computer is the VT3 that is 8 1/2 years old, 1122 dives, 1172 hours, absolutely perfect.

Pelagic Pressure Systems is or has been the OEM for many brands of computer, Oceanic, Aeris (discontinued), Genesis, Sherwood, Tusa, and Aqualung. PPS was bought by Aqua Lung from American Underwater Products (parent of Oceanic and others), and then released their current line of computers manufactured by PPS. Oceanic runs both DSAT and PZ+ decompression algorithms. Genesis and Sherwood run only DSAT. Tusa and Aqua Lung run only PZ+.

Out of interest, after bad mouthing Aqua Lung/PPS computers, what brand of computer did your LDS recommend you buy from them? Does your LDS carry Aqua Lung? You would think that with such a negative opinion, your LDS would not choose to sell Aqua Lung computers.

My Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus computer computer lasted 16 years, then began having pressure sensor and battery issues, so this year through an Oceanic dealer Oceanic replaced it with a refurbished Pro Plus2 for $175- I love this computer it is air integrated, is easy to read and understand, and even if I had bought it new would be a bargain compared to most air integrated computers. It’s not for Tech diving, but then again, neither am I :)

The computers he told me he had were Mares Puck Pro Plus, Mares Quad, and Shearwater Perdix. I keep going back and forth between getting the AL I300c now or waiting to buying the Mares Quad AI after I have saved up money. But thats a different discussion.

Last edited:
The computers he told me he had were Mares Puck Pro Plus, Mares Quad, and Shearwater Perdix. I keep going back and forth between getting the AL I300c now or waiting to buying the Mares Quad AI after I have saved up money anyways. But thats a different discussion.
Read some of the SB computer threads regarding choice of decompression algorithm. The Shearwater Perdix would be a good choice, it costs much more than the Aqua Lung you mentioned. The Mares RGBM deco algorithm tends to be quite conservative

This is the one to get if air integration (AI) isn't a high priority for you. If AI is a priority for you, then go for the Perdix AI (btw, PPS makes the tank transmitter for the Perdix AI :) ). Don't waste your time with Mares computers of any model.

Back
Top Bottom