computer dependent divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've noticed something lately. When I go dive with a diver using a computer (I'm old school, depth gauge and watch) at the end of the dive when we go to fill out our logs the first thing they do is ask me what was our max depth and bottom time, or they run off to grab their computer to see what it says.
Once I hit my max depth, I know my max depth for the remainder of the dive and am aware of my bottom time as soon as my head pops the surface.
It seems as though all these computer divers are looking at is the NDL or time remaining (if even that...).
Anyone else see a similar trend?

Unless you have an analogue max depth indicator, in order to know your max depth, you'd have to constantly look at your depth gauge. If you have a max depth indicator, it's no different than looking it up on your computer.

I allow my computer to track my max depth and time in, time out, and total time. I'm aware of my max depth to within around 5 feet without the computer, and I could start and stop a stop watch, but why?

Why have a depth gauge at all? Afterall, one could argue it's nothing but a crutch.

When I surface, I don't want to have to remember my bottom time. Sure, I check, but why commit the time to memory? Nothing is gained by it.

Xanthro

Respectfuly, Xanthro, I disagree.

A diver should always be aware of where he is in the dive: depth, time, and air; he should also be aware of where he's been during the dive: depth, time, location of the wreck/site feature, orientation toward goal or exit.

I have a digital bottom timer. Unlike a computer which would try to predict and recommend to me how to do my dive, my BT merely serves as an information source: how deep am I, how long have I been here? In the corner of its screen it also tracks max depth attained during this dive (in case I forget to look at exactly the time I hit max depth)

I am always aware of my time, my predicted NDL (except on those 20' shore dives when I pay more attention to air) and how long I have left at this depth. I also check my BT again for time just before ascending.

I think in too many cases divers are becoming too complacent and letting their computers not only think for them, but remember things for them too!

On my AOW course, as part of the "narc test" during the deep dive, we were each passed a slate with various questions on them. Two of the questions were, "without looking, what is your depth? your dive time?"

Betcha I could ask that of some divers and they would have no clue. But they could probably tell me just how many minutes to NDL according to their computer as well as how far up the green/yellow/red band the indicator is.....................

bubble blower:
I've noticed something lately. When I go dive with a diver using a computer (I'm old school, depth gauge and watch) at the end of the dive when we go to fill out our logs the first thing they do is ask me what was our max depth and bottom time, or they run off to grab their computer to see what it says.
Once I hit my max depth, I know my max depth for the remainder of the dive and am aware of my bottom time as soon as my head pops the surface.
It seems as though all these computer divers are looking at is the NDL or time remaining (if even that...).
Anyone else see a similar trend?

Look up an unfamilar phone number. 30 seconds later, recite it from memory.

Look up an unfamilar phone number. Write it down on a sticky note. 30 seconds later, recite it from memory.

You'll find the latter much more difficult; there is a human tendency to purge things from short-term memory, entirely unconsciously, if you know they're easily retrieved. There's a technical term for this, but I don't recall it.

(It's closely related, by the way, to this one: Ever see someone look at their digital watch to see what time it is, and then have to look again if you ask them? Although they just looked to see that it's 1:21PM, they consumed that info and purged it; they have to get it again for you. (Note that neither of these is that closely related to what happens in the previous situation with an analog watch; though you will see the same behaviour, that has more to do with the user perceiving a gestalt from the watch face (e.g. "not late for meeting"); they never did know that it's 1:21PM, unlike the digital watch user.))

While there are arguements to be made about computer-dependent divers, don't think this is one of them.

Xanthro:
When I surface, I don't want to have to remember my bottom time. Sure, I check, but why commit the time to memory? Nothing is gained by it.

Then how do you plan out the second dive in a repetitive series?

You will have taken in Nitrogen during your first dive. Without knowing how long you spent at what depths coupled with your surface interval, you'd be diving "blind" for your second dive.

(Please don't say you let your computer "tell" you how long you have for your second or third repetitive dives........ you should understand at least the basics of repetitive dive planning)

Xanthro:
Why have a depth gauge at all? Afterall, one could argue it's nothing but a crutch.

ummm... really now? So if your computer dies and you've run into deco time how are you supposed to know your depth so you can do your deco stop? An analogue depth gauge (which can record max depth) is a very useful tool to have with you.

Another reason for having a depth gauge "at all" is in case you find that actual depths on the site don't line up too well with what was predicted/planned. There are oodles of reasons why this can happen.

Here we go again..........w0000t!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Bubble Blower:

I'm a newbie - went to a dive computer almost immediately, BUT:

I STILL monitor my max depth (on both the computer and my analog gage) AND my TBT on my (regular) watch.

That way, if the computer craps out, I can use dive tables (in my BCD pocket) for that or next dive. I do check the computer during the SI for max bottom time for the next dive, as it has "integrated" the N2 loading.

This way, I have redundancy....

Charlie

This is one of those subjects that has been beaten hard around here. To me, much of this arguement boils down to a couple issues. In recreational diving, not technical diving, not deco diving, recreational diving, where an individual is diving tables the way they are ment to be dove, this means bottom time and max depth, not depth averaging, computers give people more time under water with shorter surface intervals. You can still plan your dive and dive your plan, but tables seriously curtail your time underwater.

The most significant drawback to computers is what happens if your computer dies? Do you have a back up? This is not a problem with tables.

Many recreational divers want diving to be a simple almost thoughtless recreational activity. Computer diving makes that a whole lot easier. The computer does all the work for you.

Like it or not, this is only going to get worse in my opinion.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom