computer dependent divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This convsersation makes me imagine what it was like for Doctors 50 years ago when someone introduced them to a defibrillator for the first time!!! I am a DM and regularly work on charter boats. It seems like once or twice a month, we'll get some old salt on-board... you know, the one who has been diving since 1941??? Anyway, there starts the conversation about computers... and how the old timers never used those silly things. Newsflash people!!! it's called technology... just like Doctors getting new and better toys, so do divers. With regard to the bottom time issue, you should know your approx max depth before you begin the dive or you should not be doing the dive... so the point from Bubbleblower about all the computer users staring at NDL and not max depth is a mute point. Your NDL is far more important than your max depth!!! Your max depth means nothing as far as potential DCS if you don't take into consideration how long you were at that depth... which takes us full circle back to what a computer does for you... it calculates an algorythem based on a combinbation of depth and time. In this day and age, it is silly for any diver to not use a computer. I not only use one, I also have a back up. As far as someone having one computer and it fails, you do need to know the basic (including using tables) to know where your profile is.

I think i said this somewhere else on the forum but..

A computer and tables are just different ways of implementing the same thing - decompression models.

Diving just one method with no backup is foolhardy in my book. If just using tables, what if your bottom timer or watch floods? If using one computer, what if that dies?
It always makes sense to have a independent backup.

@STRING - AMEN
Back-ups are always good. I use a dive computer and watch with depth guage and I have air integration (wireless transmitter) as well as SPG on my recreational regulators.

If you do not have back-ups and yoru watch/dive computer floods then you ascend to the surface, dive over.

And in over 1500 dives i have never had a dive computer or watch fail on me, but I do know it could happen. If I have to sacrifice one dive in a while for safety then so be it.

@aquaalex - you do realize that this thread is from 7 years ago, major technological advances in diving since then. I dont think many people, actually i have not witnessed any in the last 5 years that have not had a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom