Computer Panic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaToneDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent dive charter in North Carolina with some friends, the DiveMaster asked if someone would team up with a last minute walk on. My buddy and I volunteered. The diver was a local Advanced diver, experienced with 500+ dives and 10 years under her belt. We'll call her Amy.

Over the next 3 days we did 5 awesome dives. The sixth dive on day three went caddy wompus. The wreck sat in 110 feet of water. We were running Nitrox at 30%. MOD 121', NDL 24min. Amy's computer was more conservative, so we agreed to turn the dive when any of us hit 7 min of remaining NDL or 1200 PSI. Me, being larger than my lovely dive buddies, usually turned us on air, Amy turning us on our "Bingo" remaining NDL. We hung out on the wreck around 85 feet with sharks for most of the dive, and about 22 minutes in Amy came over frantically pointing to her computer. It said she was in deco with an 83 minute stop obligation. WHAT? I wrote on my slate "Its wrong". She then pointed to her backup computer...55 minutes of Deco obligation! I checked mine and had 16 minutes until Bingo. I wrote on my slate, " somethings wrong with them"! She then signaled to her air gauge....750psi! I looked at mine and was at 1800 PSI. Then I noticed that she was huffing her reg. I signaled to turn the dive and we headed to the upline. I stayed close to her and gave her my pony bottle when we got on the line. I kept eye contact to let her know I wasn't going anywhere. I also wrote on my slate "Breathe Normal". We hit the safety stop and did three minutes. Then her computers magically went back to normal. WHAT? That's when I noticed her breathing go back to normal.

Back on the boat she was shaken, but unharmed. Her computers, both Zoops, had some sort of sensor issue. Seeing them both in deco put her into a state of narrowed perception affecting her reasoning. She approached me and had already sucked her tank past our agreed turn, which was adding to her stress and increasing her breathing rate even more. We worked the problem out and we made it on the boat safe and sound. It was a freak incident.

Lesson learned? A computer is great, but electronics fail. What would you do if you were alone?

In my OW classes I teach to have a dive plan and a contingency plan. I teach dive tables. Tables are the best solution when your computer goes down. The batteries never run out and they don't require servicing. A timing device, like a watch, and an analog depth gauge are also needed though. No tables? No problem! Go into your computers dive planing mode and write down the deepest planned depth and the next 2 deepest depths and their respective NDL's on your dive slate before you hit the water. You can also do a contingency grid (see pic). Planned depth and time and next two greater depths and times go on the outside, Deco obligations go in the squares. I like to write these on my wrist slate with a sharpie so they wont rub off. I also write bingo times and turn info. They clean up with hand sanitizer or an alcohol wipe.

Hopefully you never have to use them, but its piece of mind.
open

Double computer failure? Very scary indeed! Having a written plan was a great plan...
Since it was a planned NDL dive (not tech, per se) it wouldn't have been unreasonable for typical rec divers to have only 1 computer each. Imagine if a buddy team ended up two dead computers; even the exact dive time might be unreadable, making it hard to reassure each other there wouldn't be a deco obligation.

Both computer saying she had a deco obligation sounds like something temporarily affected the pressure gauge. I know diving near an iron ship can affect the compass, but what can fool both pressure gauges?

ScubaToneDog: I am glad you were with Amy to help her during her problem. I wonder what she would have done if she had a less knowledgable or experienced buddy? This just goes to show you that even with 500+ dives, Amy really did not have a good grasp of her diving profiles, and whether or not she could possibly be in deco, much less that much deco, on the sixth recreational dive over the period of three days.

Amy may have had a grasp on her diving profiles until panic set in. Fortunately she kept her head and signaled her buddy instead of bolting to the surface.

This is similar to the type of scenario I tried to address with my recent post:

Depth: 95 ft, In Deco, 500 psi, No Buddy

People do freak out when they see deco, but she should have known she could not get 45 plus min of deco without staying way longer than planned.

What does Bingo mean? I've never heard the term in this context.
Another gold star for the Zoop.

It's an aviation term, referring to minimum fuel remaining. In this case they're using it to refer to minimum NDL.

The best dive computer (or computers) will never replace the gray matter between the ears. First action in any emergency is THINK!. Glad there was no panic and bolt. You didn't indicate if this was dive one of the day (sounded like it) but presumably not dive 4-6. That said, there is no way she could have an 83 minute deco obl on an 80 ft dive for 22 minutes. Turning the dive was the right thing to do even if she had 1800lbs air left. Well done keeping a level head and assisting a fellow (what's the female of fellow) diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom