Computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chances are they won't allow you to dive without a computer and will have one for you to borrow or rent. Whether or for how long they want you to sit out any dives will be up to the crew. Can you borrow one from somebody before your trip for a back-up? Where are you going?

It really depends where you’re going. In Thailand, they often don’t even require one; the divemaster keeps one “for the whole group”. Not that that is a safe practice or smart, but that’s how it works some places farther off the beaten track.

My girlfriend did her first 30 dives in Thailand and the Philippines (before I started diving) without a computer, just following the DM.

It depends on how many people are on the boat, but in a situation like that I would not be surprised if a fellow diver on the trip didn't let you use one of their backup computers.

You shouldn’t count on someone being willing to give up THEIR backup. I did that once on a 2 dive local charter. I would not do that on a longer trip.

If I am on a liveaboard, which usually means I have flown and traveled a far way for it, I can assure you I would 100% not loan it to someone else. It's a backup because it is there in case I need it for repetitive diving. If I loaned it to someone and it started racking up their nitrogen load, it would be irrelevant or inaccurate when I need it back. Even Mr. OOO would be questionable. Thankfully, he has a backup....but :shhh: don't tell him I said that. :wink:

Besides, someone else on the liveaboard who has been diving with a backup wouldn't have a backup computer that would accurately reflect the variable depth and times that you have been diving to be relevant to you. Maybe if it were a dive buddy. Honestly, if you can afford to go on a liveaboard and travel to dive, etc., spend the $150 and get a used dive computer to use as a backup. Go out to eat fewer times. Renting one is an option as well but if it is more conservative than your primary then that wouldn't work. You would inevitably lock that one out. You would have to switch to using the more conservative one as your primary and then your liberal one as your backup. To be honest, it's much easier to just get a used one that you know will work for you and will know how to use rather than spend time to learn a new computer on a trip.

Do you then dive with both computers?

Absolutely. However, you only follow the instructions of one. If they are the same algorithm or dive computer, it doesn't matter which you decide to follow. If they are different algorithms or computers, follow the one that is more conservative and use the liberal one as your backup so you don't lock your conservative one out. (e.g., if you followed the instructions of your liberal one and it told you that you had 15 minutes of NDL left but your more conservative one that is a backup is actually going into deco and you skip the deco stop because your primary liberal one said you are good and don't need one because you are still within NDL limits, you would probably lock out that backup and it would defeat the purpose of you having a backup.) There are some exceptions as some computers won't lock you out but most will.

You only refer to the other backup one if the one you were following the directions of failed. You need to dive both so they both accrue the correct and accurate data for your tissues to be able to provide you with correct and accurate NDL times.

Thanks - I've been wanting to get a new computer for a while because I absolutely HATE the one I have now, a Suunto Gekko I bought shortly after I got certified (12 years ago). So I guess this means I have to get 2 computers, because I will not buy another Suunto.

Thanks - I've been wanting to get a new computer for a while because I absolutely HATE the one I have now, a Suunto Gekko I bought shortly after I got certified (12 years ago). So I guess this means I have to get 2 computers, because I will not buy another Suunto.

You're welcome. I am curious - what don't you like about the Suunto Gekko specifically or Suunto? I no longer dive Suuntos but did for a very long time. Both my primary and backup. I have moved onto something else now.

You're welcome. I am curious - what don't you like about the Suunto Gekko specifically or Suunto? I no longer dive Suuntos but did for a very long time. Both my primary and backup. I have moved onto something else now.
Suuntos beep at you and give you a warning for everything. Moved your arm up too quickly? Ascent rate violation warning. Skipped breakfast that morning? Warning beep! Forgot to call your mom last week? Warning beep!

:)

Well, the main reason is bottom time. After a few days of diving, my BT is always at least 15 minutes shorter than everyone else's. Knowing Suunto is very conservative, I make sure to always stay several feet above my guide at all times and do longer safety stops. It's fine for a few days, but after 3 days of diving 4 times a day, I am screwed no matter what.

It is incredibly frustrating to finish the last 15 minutes of a dive 15 feet or so above everyone else... and see them get excited for something amazing that you can either not see or barely. And if I'm diving with just one person (I have friends who are instructors in Roatan, so I sometimes get to go out just with them, which is pretty fricking awesome), it sucks for them. Especially when you're diving Texas (a favourite dive location in Roatan).

The other thing I dislike about my current computer is the navigation. It's not intuitive. It always takes me a few tries to remember which button to press and in what order to get the information I want.

As you know, I'm going to Raja Ampat in less than 2 months. Seems like as good "excuse" to change.

Suuntos beep at you and give you a warning for everything. Moved your arm up too quickly? Ascent rate violation warning. Skipped breakfast that morning? Warning beep! Forgot to call your mom last week? Warning beep!

:)

Well, the main reason is bottom time. After a few days of diving, my BT is always at least 15 minutes shorter than everyone else's. Knowing Suunto is very conservating, I make sure to always stay several feet above my guide at all times and do longer safety stops. It's fine for a few days, but after 3 days of diving 4 times a day, I am screwed no matter what.

It is incredibly frustrating to finish the last 15 minutes of a dive 15 feet or so above everyone else... and see them get excited for something amazing that you can either not see or barely. And if I'm diving with just one person (I have friends who are instructors in Roatan, so I sometimes get to go out just with them, which is pretty fricking awesome), it sucks for them. Especially when you're diving Texas (a favourite dive location in Roatan).

The other things I dislike about my current computer is the navigation. It's so annoying and not intuitive.

As you know, I'm going to Raja Ampat in less than 2 months. Seems like as good "excuse" to change.

Fair enough and a valid reason for many. Mr. OOO also dived with the same 2 Suuntos alongside myself for a while. I moved on to another primary/backup and he continued to dive the original Suuntos. We had many repetitive dives on a recent trip for a week (5 dives a day but he even skipped some so only had 4) and for one of the last few dives, there was about a 20-25 minute difference in NDL. I remember it distinctly because it was a wreck dive and I had to level off with him which had us above the wreck. It would have been more significant if he had done all the dives as I had. In any case, for more than one reason or another, he has also moved onto a different set of computers as well so I can understand how you feel. Unfortunately, I can't remember what my GF was for my computer that week but it would have been either 40/85 or 45/95 but I know he was at P0.

Oceanic has the option to turn off audio alarms in case you are interested in a watch form with a liberal (DSAT) algorithm but also has a conservative one (Pelagic Z+) that you can select from without spending a lot. Shearwater Perdixes (Perdi?) have no alarms but I have read that the Terics have an alarm off function, optional alarm on, but also vibration if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom