Computer recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Must have

Backlight that stays on during dive
Mac compatible
Air/nitrox

Any suggestions? I'm thinking Liquidvision Kaon but open to others

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Shearwater Petrel.

Shearwater Petrel. It will do anything you need it too as a recreational diver plus give you the option of growing if you decide to move into tech or other aspects of diving. Plus, their customer service is unmatched.

There are a large number of computers from various manufacturers that are all supported by MacDive, a great program for downloading onto the Mac. I have a Suunto Cobra3 that I'm happy with: big display (though not bright like the Cobalt), air integrated so I can view my surface air consumption, and conservative algorithm to remind me to behave. I've never had problems with dives getting cut short on five-dive-per-day liveaboards when using Nitrox.

I'm also currently looking at replacing my old AI computer for something that will do Nitrox. But, although I currently have no plans to do trimix or rebreather, who knows? I don't want to limit myself. So, I'm thinking either the Liqivision Xeo, the Shearwater Petrel or the Dive-Rite Nitek Q.

Although the first two are made by Vancouver companies (where I live), I'm leaning towards the Dive-Rite due to the cost difference on the base model, which you can upgrade to do three gas or CCR in the future.

Does anybody dive the Nitek Q? I've heard lots in support of the Petrel and not much (expect by the LDS's) in support of the Liqivision.

Shearwater is tough to beat.

Liquivision Xeo or Kaon have super nice screens. It doesn't matter how bad the vis is you can read it easily. There is no backlight as it is an OLED screen. Once you use this type you will never go back. The tap functions work well underwater also. I had an issue with my Xeo turning on on land but that has been dealt with.

Stano

Am I reading this correctly? Liquid vision requires a $100 PC interface , Shearwater does not? it says it comes with the USB cable, is that all I need? If thats the case it makes sense to spend an extra $50 and get the Shearwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom