Computer: Right/Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After taking rescue, I realized it was more convenient to also have it on the right wrist when assisting an unconscious diver at depth while heading to the surface and holding their reg in at the same time. I suppose that doesn't happen very often, but another +1 where I could quickly glance at depth/time, etc.
I've noticed the same

Had a discussion yesterday with a shop owner/instructor about which wrist/forearm to wear dive computer. I was trained to wear it on my right wrist/forearm so that if one needs to vent using the corrugated hose with the left hand while ascending one can still pay attention to their ascent rate indicator on their computer on their right wrist/arm.

The shop owner/instructor was explaining to me that the computer on the left wrist/forearm puts it above the head while ascending and venting via the corrugated hose which helps contribute to keeping the airway open. He stated that with the computer on the right wrist the tendency is to look down which could lead to blocking the airway which can lead to pulmonary injury.

When I asked him where he learned/read that having the computer on the right arm increase risk of pulmonary injury, he pointed to one of his former students coming out of the water wearing a suit with a velcro tab on the left wrist to help hold a computer in place and tried to use that to further rationalize his statement.

My thoughts are that one should wear their computer however one finds it comfortable and convenient but it was interesting that this guy seemed to site what comes across as bs pseudo-medicine/pseudo-physiology reasons for teaching this to all his students.

In 24 years of diving I have never heard of this, I am interested to know what others are teaching or have been taught.

-Z

that owner instructor is just plain crazy. Theres plenty of whackadoodle theories even from high IQ scientists..... I am left handed and keep my computer on my left wrist. I do notice on heading to surface and watching my ascent rate on my computer while venting bcd that it requires extra concentration.

Think ill try putting my computer on my right arm and see how I like it.

I think there are considerations and reasons (even crazy ones) to choose one wrist over another, but I can't think of any that are a compelling argument for a "right way" and a "wrong way." Think it over, and go with the one that works for you.

If I need to monitor a left wrist computer while dumping air on an ascent, I can always go to the dongle on my right shoulder dump valve instead of the corrugated hose. I am comfortable enough to not overthink it.

I did recently try it on my right wrist on my last trip, just so I could put a wrist slate on my left without interference. Sure enough, that wrist works too...

Reactions: Kha
Check out the tech divers with 2 computers. One on each arm. Now what do you do?

I've tried it both ways. Your eyes also matter. Many people have one eye better than the other, and if you can't see the computer that well with one eye, you don't want it on that side. For me I also dive with a NERD. I have tried the NERD on both eyes, it works best on my left eye. That puts the other computer on my right wrist. Why? If it were on the left I would have a harder time seeing it around the NERD. If I fog a lens, get something in one eye and it doesn't clear right, whatever, I still have a functional computer within sight of either eye.

Obstructed airway from turning your head wrong? I can't imagine how wrong the gear setup would have to be to create that. But I could see that shop owner figuring out a way. I would avoid at least his advise, maybe a little more.

Must be right wrist or you’ll die.....lol. Primary light is on the left......

The computers the shop used for OW students weren't wrist mounted, but on the BC console. So I've never given a thought to where I wear my wrist one. I wear it on my right wrist along with my dive watch, because that's where I wear my topside watch. For a diver with any kind of experience I doubt it matters where you wear it.

I don't think it matters, which ever is the most comfortable for you. I prefer on my left wrist, but that is because I have always wore a watch on my left wrist and that is where I look out of habit. But I also wear my backup on my right wrist.
Me too.

I would rather want to know what is the rationale of mandating keeping the compass on the left wrist. because if using it you need to concentrate on it quite a bit and normally bend your arm to be able to see it in correct angle. then your left hand is totally occupied and in an angle where it is difficult to hold a light in it. If you move the light to your right hand now all your arms are occupied and will screw up both buoyancy control and primary donating whenever you need to do that OR alternatively you just lose sense of the direction if using the left hand every now and then for the regular tasks. I would think the compass should be on the right wrist if the dive computer is also there and if using lights on left hand. but if NOT using a light then it would probably be easier to have the compass on the left because then the right hand is more task loaded.

I find the computer being much easier to read when on the right. That is probably mainly because I almost always have to use lights when diving here and using the light on the left.

I have no problem btw to control the wing inflator with either hand. I don't know if it's different in sidemount but at least normal wing inflators are pretty usable with both hands so I tend to use the hand which is less occupied at the moment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom