Computer: Right/Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my left wrist - I am right handed - when I stick my hand in a hole for a lobster my computer screen gets scratched up on the rocks or plating. I generally use my right hand to manipulate any number of things underwater and I don't want my computer getting hooked on or scratched up because I am more focused on retrieving an object than being careful with my tools.

YMMV

What about if you have a console integrated computer like the Proplus series? I’ve considered this a lot. Do you have it router to the left, where your SPG usually is, or routed to the right, where the computer usually is?
My hose AI Cobra is clipped to my left hip D-ring, just like an SPG would be. If I had a console with computer plus SPG, I'd clip that, too to my left hip D-ring.

Aside from that, I definitely prefer my wrist-mounted computer on my right forearm. Main light in my left hand, slate on my left forearm, and compass on the back of my right hand. If I risk an embolism by looking straight ahead at my right hand wrist instead up on the wrist of my left hand which operates the inflator, I'm not competent to breathe compressed gas under water and should take up knitting instead.

Not my instructor.

The guy is the owner of a local shop that I have been a client of. We bumped into each other at a local dive site this past weekend. The discussion began with him asking me if I wanted to work for him as a divemaster. He commented that he would love to have me work with him but my equipment configuration would need to change as it did not fit what he requires of his students, instructors, and divemasters.

He noted my use of a 7ft hose, my octo on a bungee necklace, the fact that my octo hose is not yellow, and that I wear my computer on my right forearm. I asked him what the concern was with my computer on right forearm and he started discussing how it is unsafe to wear it there as it increases the risk of blocking the airway, and if you are facing a diver when ascending in a shared air situation one's right hand would be controlling the OOA diver's inflator hose, which would make it hard to impossible to see the computer.

He mentioned that over the past 8 years teaching he has developed a training "method" that emphasizes efficiency in the learning process, reduction of risk, and standardization.

I have no intent to work with this shop/instructor.

I fully accept that I do not know everything about diving and that I can always improve. After 24 years I still enter the water with the endeavor to learn something about how I dive to improve my competence, confidence, and capability...

...but I also enter the water to leave the craziness of the rest of the world behind for the short amount of time that I am below the surface. There were other things mentioned that didn't sit right with me and I am not willing to enter into an employment situation where there may be all sorts of craziness lurking just below the surface (no pun intended).

-Z
This is why I picked an agency that supports how I dive by letting me teach that way. Further, I’m lucky the shop I work for allows me to “add” things to the standard curriculum.

Keep it on your right and find a new instructor. Your rationale about keeping it visible during ascents makes far more sense than that weird airway theory he was promoting. Also stops you accidentally "signalling" when using a light on a goodman handle every time you want to check your computer.

+1 on all of the above.

Imagine the horror if that shop owner saw 2 computers, one on each wrist. I learned that the primary computer is on the right. If you have a backup, it's on the left arm with a compass and a light on a goodman handle.

...He noted my use of a 7ft hose, my octo on a bungee necklace, the fact that my octo hose is not yellow, and that I wear my computer on my right forearm...

LOL. You've described many of us. :)

The motivations for re-developed plates are legion.
Personally, I'd prefer looking at my depth gauge while I'm retrieving an unconscious diver, rather than my compass :)

Now I have to ask. I just got a Teric. I plan to use it with a Perdix AI. Since I wear my watch on my left arm, it makes sense to put my Teric, as my primary, on my left arm and my Perdix on my right. Either one could be primary, so what difference does it make?

Cheers -

Back
Top Bottom