Computer shopping? (HATE my oceanic). AI wireless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVE my Oceanic VT3. If it died tomorrow I'd replace it with another no questions asked. I have my transmitter on the right side of the 1st stage and wear the computer on my left wrist and have never lost sync. The download works very well, cable included, software is pretty decent.

Have to agree on the costs, I'd love to know what the margins are on dive computers!! You can buy a crackberry for $200 that is light years ahead technologically of dive computers that cost multiple thousand dollars. Granted, the crackberry dies if you get it wet but comon folks...

Lovely looking computer... how it actually works.. would be nice to know...

I have a Uemis SDA and I love it ! I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want to know more. PM or ask on here if you'd like.

The Uwatec Luna is attainable via a European on-line dealer for less than $1,000 which is virtually the same unit as the Galileo Sol but does not have the heart monitor (who cares!). I have the Sol which I wear on my upper forearm as in my opionion it is too large to be worn on the wrist. To be honest, I beleive I would be just as happy with the Smart Tec unless you heavily use a compass then look back to the Luna/Sol as the compass is the bomb.

Luna - Uwatec. Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving, Uwatec

Smart Tec - Computers | Dive Computers at LeisurePro.com

Last edited:
One other difference that would be a major factor to me is that the Smart Tec has to be sent back to the factory for battery replacement. I consider that unacceptable in any case, but on top of that I have heard stories (and have no personal knowledge if it is true) that Scubapro has previously stopped supporting some older computers leaving users with useless computers that would work okay i they could get batteries.

So, just how huge is the Sol/Luna? Is it really too big to wear on the wrist? Nothing wrong with wearing it on the forearm I guess, so long as it stays there and doesn't slide down.

I have heard stories (and have no personal knowledge if it is true) that Scubapro has previously stopped supporting some older computers leaving users with useless computers that would work okay i they could get batteries.
True. They stopped supporting my Air-X Nitrox, or Nitrox-X, or whatever it was called. I still use an Uwatec computer as a back-up though. It doesn't have user-replaceable batteries nor does my primary computer, the Suunto D9, but as long as they don't both go dead on the same dive trip I am okay.

One other difference that would be a major factor to me is that the Smart Tec has to be sent back to the factory for battery replacement. I consider that unacceptable in any case, but on top of that I have heard stories (and have no personal knowledge if it is true) that Scubapro has previously stopped supporting some older computers leaving users with useless computers that would work okay i they could get batteries.

So, just how huge is the Sol/Luna? Is it really too big to wear on the wrist? Nothing wrong with wearing it on the forearm I guess, so long as it stays there and doesn't slide down.

I would not deem the Smart Tec battery issue to be a deal killer. They last hundres of dives and Scuba Pro is US based. Those who do not have back-up instruments cam certainly borrow or rent during transit. IMO the Sol/Luna is borde-line too big. It has almost slid off my wrist several times. Every other aspect of the computer is first rate. Demo both and see how you like, that's what I did. Having all instruments consolidated defiantly has made my dives more enjoyable with less stress as I am frequently hunting/task loaded...

I am sure the battery wold not be an issue for many, it is just a personal thing with me. Interesting about your take on the size thing. I am guessing you don't dive a drysuit while some of the other folks who have this computer dive dry, so the larger size is not an issue. It would irritate me quite a bit to have the computer sliding down my arm on a dive. Sort of offsets some of the point behind a wrist computer if you have to adjust it much.

I am sure the battery wold not be an issue for many, it is just a personal thing with me. Interesting about your take on the size thing. I am guessing you don't dive a drysuit while some of the other folks who have this computer dive dry, so the larger size is not an issue. It would irritate me quite a bit to have the computer sliding down my arm on a dive. Sort of offsets some of the point behind a wrist computer if you have to adjust it much.

That's the senario. I dive 3mm or a skin. With a drysuit it would be far less an issue. One thing I love about the computer is the ease of use such as inputing FFO along with multiple information and display configurations, etc.

I'd like to hear more from people who have used this computer in a wetsuit or skin. I suppose it depends on wrist size to some extent.

This photo is borrowed from Divernet and is intended to be humorous (how much gear can you get for 11,000 GBP) but it does show the Galileo mounted on a forearm, even in a drysuit with a heavy undersuit. Makes me wonder.....

Attachments

• 11,000 GBP diver.jpg
    11,000 GBP diver.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 103
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom