Computer shopping? (HATE my oceanic). AI wireless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......This photo ............ does show the Galileo mounted on a forearm, even in a drysuit with a heavy undersuit. .........

My current primary PDC is the Galileo and I waer it on the right forearm.
I like it that way ... and I like also the gigantic digits.

AM

I agree, the Liquivision X1 is a hot looking machine. But yes, out of price range.

Interesting enough is the open source dive computer, where they actually give away the hardware design and software. Community based development:

HeinrichsWeikamp GbR

The uemis ZURICH is a nice looking machine! Hard to tell how bulky it is, is it as chunky as the Sol? Out of the range of cost that I'm willing to pay for such an instrument. And nothing is future proof, something smaller and sleeker will come out.

I forgot, I've seen the Dive Rite Nitec-X in person, and it is both small and rugged in appearance, and modern. But high $$$, and not ment for recreational OW (It's not AI in that it reads pressure, but has a hookup to monitor an o2 cell for a CCR).

Hey, and where's the bluetooth for computer download? At worst go IRDa so there is no need for a cable and exposed contacts (I think someone did this before).

I think if you are looking for an air integrated wrist computer with digital compass, using recent technology, and with a larger than watch sized display, you have only one choice currently. Get a Galileo Luna from the UK or Spain for under $1000.00.

It seems to meet all of your "must have" requirements and is within your budget.

I'd like to hear more from people who have used this computer in a wetsuit or skin. I suppose it depends on wrist size to some extent.

This photo is borrowed from Divernet and is intended to be humorous (how much gear can you get for 11,000 GBP) but it does show the Galileo mounted on a forearm, even in a drysuit with a heavy undersuit. Makes me wonder.....

I had a smart tec and now a Galileo sol... I wear anything from a .5 mil to a dry suit...

It is fairly large, but stays in place fairly well on my arm..

Mine is on my right arm.

While the size is big, the shape is very molded around your arm...I find it far better than the smart tec.

This size is more an issue when you are not wearing it.

If I'm reading you correctly what you should get is a wrist model dive computer in the $400 range and there are plenty. If you have any money left over go and buy the latest tech gadget at Best Buys and play with it when you're not diving:D

Seriously, for rec diving what difference does it make if the computer uses the latest technology when the algorithms with only slight modifications are 100 years old. Even in the case of VPM or RGBM there's still nothing high tech about them.

If you want to eliminate bulk just ditch the console, get a wrist unit, wrist compass, shorten the SPG hose and you're good to go! Any unit in that price range does Nitrox, for the most part has gauge mode, and most of the download software that comes with the units seem to suck and that's why many people get 3rd party software or don't use software at all. After while all the downloaded profiles begin to look alike anyway.

The uemis ZURICH is a nice looking machine! Hard to tell how bulky it is, is it as chunky as the Sol? Out of the range of cost that I'm willing to pay for such an instrument. And nothing is future proof, something smaller and sleeker will come out.
Hi telemonster
I can assure you that you will hardly find any smaller diving computer than ours with the same technology.
Other models with similar displays are quite bigger (e.g. Mares). We developed a special technology to build our models that small. We left the oil filling technology.
Check it out.
Brendianer

That is odd, in my family of three divers using Aeris T3 and Oceanic Atom 2.0 computers, that has never been a problem unless a battery is quite low, which rarely happens.

Which model of Oceanic computer were you using?

Actually, I can't remember, but it was their 1st generation puck-style AI, the single gas precursor to the VT3.

Managing a dive shop at the time, I worked with the rep, replaced the unit and the transmitter, but I still never went a dive without losing link several times. I can tell you he wasn't happy that I didn't keep that unit, he tried hard to get that problem resolved. They know that if the store staff isn't happy with equipment they don't endorse it, and we were one of the major sellers in the area.

Maybe they've since improved this.

One other difference that would be a major factor to me is that the Smart Tec has to be sent back to the factory for battery replacement. I consider that unacceptable in any case, but on top of that I have heard stories (and have no personal knowledge if it is true) that Scubapro has previously stopped supporting some older computers leaving users with useless computers that would work okay i they could get batteries.

So, just how huge is the Sol/Luna? Is it really too big to wear on the wrist? Nothing wrong with wearing it on the forearm I guess, so long as it stays there and doesn't slide down.

Scubapro stopped support for a couple of lines that were sold before they bought Uwatec. But when I ran the shop we worked with SP on this many times. If you had the proof of original ownership I could arrange a replacement for around the cost of replacing the batteries.

Now - about Smart Tec having to go in to replace the batteries-true. But since I have had mine for 4 years now and have a few hundred dives on it, it is still at 85% of charge. And SP will tell you that when it hits 0% it still can cover a 3-week dive vacation on a live-aboard. There should never be a surprise that you can't avoid on that account.

I talked with their service manager about this "Must return to replace" policy and he said it was because too many shops tried to use NEARLY compatible batteries on replacement that caused major customer satisfaction headaches. I can personally tell you that SP works very hard to have a support level second to none. If your shop says they aren't working with them, the LDS is not really working with SP, they're handing you a line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom