Computer shopping? (HATE my oceanic). AI wireless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi telemonster
I can assure you that you will hardly find any smaller diving computer than ours with the same technology.
Other models with similar displays are quite bigger (e.g. Mares). We developed a special technology to build our models that small. We left the oil filling technology.
Check it out.
Brendianer

It looks very nice! If you could sell the computer + wireless transmitter for ~$800 you'd probably own the higher end dive computer market.

If you could get it down to $500 each w/ the xmitter you'd probably own most of the dive computer market.

If I'm reading you correctly what you should get is a wrist model dive computer in the $400 range and there are plenty. If you have any money left over go and buy the latest tech gadget at Best Buys and play with it when you're not diving:D

Yea, perhaps getting a used cheap wrist mounted non-AI unit that has somewhat okay (maybe even open standard or easy to reverse engineer) computer connectivity would be good enough.

I'll poke around this weekend.

My rant about the technology is in that white LED backlit graphics LCD displays and processors aren't expensive anymore.

I assume the wireless pressure sender is actually acoustical for most dive computers? Or is it really VLF RF?

I assume the wireless pressure sender is actually acoustical for most dive computers? Or is it really VLF RF?

I think it's the latter but I'm no expert on wireless technology. If you aren't happy with the user interface with the computer that you have maybe you should borrow someone's wireless unit for a dive and see if you really like AI.

I don't like it and wouldn't use an AI even if it were given to me because I dislike the user interface on those.

The problem ( in my opinion) with AI other than not being necessary (kind of like keyless entry locks on cars) is that it's just more info cluttering up limited display space on a dive computer.

What would be nice is a dive computer where the display space is configurable by the user. If you want larger numbers and prominently displayed for the depth and elapsed time you have it. Keep the NDL info small and to one side. If you prefer larger NDL you get that.

I've seen AI computers where one minute the number you are looking at is a psi number and then it changes to predicted time at that depth and then to elapsed dive time. In any event, predicted time for air usage at a depth isn't that meaningful unless you are going to just stay at that depth.

It's more like a useless feature in an expensive car. Maybe a talking speedometer. When you drive how often do you actually look at the speedometer or the gas gauge? It's the same with your SPG. After you gain a little experience you more or less know what your air usage is and only have to check occasionally to make sure you are right or that you have no leaks.

Why have that info taking up display space for every second of the dive? And for this you get to pay $1,000 and have one more thing to break.

Yes, ringtones are probably coming ...but only for the advanced models!

OK...my rant over.:D

I don't like it and wouldn't use an AI even if it were given to me because I dislike the user interface on those.

The problem ( in my opinion) with AI other than not being necessary (kind of like keyless entry locks on cars) is that it's just more info cluttering up limited display space on a dive computer.
Hi
I don't know what kind of AI dive computers you tried. Check out our modell and you will see how clear and easy the information is on our display.
With a AI dive computer you have the possibility to rely on RGT (remaining gas time). Psi in that context is only a not so important information. Because you can not exactly calculate your remaining gas on the deepth you are.
Relying on AI dive computers makes also multi level diving very comfortable.
If you have a look at that picture you will easily see that only four numbers are important (actual deepth, RGT, actual dekostop and it's duration). We display them big in the middle of the display.
ScubaBoard Gallery - uemis ZURICH dive replay in logbook
Regards Brendianer

Get the Suunto computer only use it then add the wireless module later, split the purchase and spread the cost out. It's not a $900 hit at one time that way. Several other brands are sold that way also.

...... I assume the wireless pressure sender is actually acoustical for most dive computers? Or is it really VLF RF?

???

VLF band and "acoustical" band are ALMOST the same.

With today coding and error correction techniques and transducer technologies we could get way more bandwidth and reliability.

Streaming videos from diver to diver ? Feasible !

The ONLY problem is that the market for dive computers is soooo small and most likely not worth the investment ....

Alberto

If you want new technology in dive computers check out the new Mares Icon HD. Well, at least the display is the latest in technology. Will be available in AI next year. Can be used in air, nitrox (use up to 3 different mixes in a dive) or gauge mode. Has a digital compass, stores maps and photos.

Streaming videos from diver to diver ? Feasible !
So what you're saying, I think, is that the holy grail of diving is within our grasp: the ability to watch u-tube clips while diving in a tropical paradise. :D

Brendianer........ seriously? We got it, you really like your computer......You really want to sell one badly. We saw the pics........Thank you....... we don't need any more links.

FYI, if you keep slamming it in front of these guys, I promise, you will drive more traffic away then to your product. It is a fickle environment on here..... :wink: You can't force feed, you have to earn the appreciation for your product.

When you go to the "shop" section on your website, if I select your computer , it brings up the description in something other than english. Why would I select the item in english, yet the description isn't? I wouldn't consider a product I couldn't read the specs on. Thought you may appreciate a little feedback.

Nice looking computer, just bringing you up to speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom