Computer with big letters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im wondering if there’s a better computer for me I have used a Scubapro Luna with transmitter from the start. There are things I love about it things i need that it meets and few things I hate.

What I hate I have thick forearms and the strap will not hold it in place it works itself down until it’s ready to pop off my hand or its spinning around and I have to use two hands to read it, the straps break if you look at it wrong. Casual diving not an issue lobster and spearfishing is when it likes to slip away.
Next it’s huge takes up a ton of space. I keep it on a retractor now, but it’s not something I cant really tuck away. I found my retractor came apart in my gear bag end of last trip, must have hung on something and its guts came out worries me some day middle of my dive it may happen and I’ll loose it. Im thinking about tying it to my BCDs inflator hose where it could be visable but not flopping around any more. But I don’t know if I can even see it from that angle. Any ideas here?

Things I like
Having my wife’s tank pressure right there as well as mine.
Im far sighted plus 3 now I need big numbers and figures
Its easy to navigate screens even with thick gloves I’ve used computers that are hard to switch screens period.
Battery replacement is super easy.
It does everything I need in a dive computer,

Im outfitting all of my children in gear this computer is more than adequate for any of them so its not like I’m replacing a fully functional dive computer because hundred dollar bills are falling out of the sky. However I’m wondering if there is a computer that I can actually see well enough that will cure what I dislike about this one. I use magnifying lenses but I still need big numbers funny just out past my arm I have good vision but anything closer is fuzzy.

Not cheap, but i like and use the Suunto Eon. It uses nice big colourful graphic displays, which are easy to glance at rather like your car fuel gauge. The main data numbers are fairly big too. It has easy to use buttons.

Before someone else chimes in with "Buy a Shearwater" I have one of those too. The Eon has a much much better screen

I have both mine on bungee straps so don't get slippage issues, but it can take a little trial and error to get the bungee just right so that they're neither too tight nor too loose

I would say buy a Shearwater Perdix or Teric. Then I’d say buy a Suunto Eon Core. In that order.

I'd wait for the/a new SW brick to come out. I'm guessing an option with larger than current Teric and Perdix fonts, less brick like, more screen space etc ....

Suunto Eon Core or Steel. Great displays, big letters and numbers.

Any ideas here?
Uwatec Galileo Bungee Adapter by JanosKovacs on Shapeways

Bungee adapter for the Uwatec Galileo Sol dive computer - could work for Luna and Terra.​

710x528_10556643_6872118_1530653379.jpg

Bungee mount is what I use but a short piece of vacuum hose instead of the 3d printed bit and fisherman's knots to make it adjustable for different wetsuit thicknesses (there's a thread here on SB). I ditched the straps on both mine and the wife's as soon as they came out of the box. Got the 2 straps still but keep bungee in the save-a-dive. may be time to unload them on ebay. Other friends use the original strap but have added a leash for redundancy. Prefer it up on the forearm as I lobster and spear too. Never had an issue

If you're hell bent on a new computer I would look at the Mares Genius.

This is their newest computer released last month and will rival Shearwater's Perdix for brick style computers. I'd argue it's probably better than the Perdix, having owned an Icon and dove a Perdix. I now own a Teric, but a watch computer may not be what you're looking for since the screen is much smaller. The Icon, which is the previous version of the Genius, but appear to operate the same, is super easy to read, lots of useful functions and is the most intuitive computer I've owned.

Computer Genius

mares-dive-computer-genius-hero.png

DESCRIPTION

• NEW ZH-L16C ALGORITHM WITH GRADIENT FACTORS AND PREDICTIVE MULTIGAS
  • NITROX AND TRIMIX CAPABLE, UP TO 5 GASES
  • FULL COLOR HIGH-RESOLUTION DISPLAY
  • FULL TILT DIGITAL COMPASS WITH BEARING MEMORY AND STOPWATCH
  • HOSELESS TANK DATA INTEGRATION FOR UP TO FIVE TRANSMITTERS
  • COLOR CODED TANK PRESSURE FOR AT-A-GLANCE READABILITY
  • BOTTOM TIMER MODE WITH RESETTABLE AVERAGE DEPTH AND STOPWATCH
  • DECOMPRESSION DIVE PLANNER WITH ADDITIONAL SURFACE INTERVAL FUNCTION
  • BRILLIANT LOGBOOK WITH MULTIPLE GRAPHS
  • LOGBOOK CAPACITY MORE THAN 1000 HOURS OF DIVE PROFILE AT 5-SECOND SAMPLING RATE
  • SMART BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WITH 40 HOURS DIVETIME PER FULL CHARGE
  • BLUETOOTH CONNECTION FOR DIRECT CONNECTION TO SMARTPHONE
  • NIGHT MODE FUNCTION
  • MAP VIEWING FUNCTION DURING THE DIVE
  • TISSUE SATURATION GRAPH WITH DETAILED INFORMATION
  • UNDERWATER MENU ALLOWS CERTAIN SETTINGS TO BE CHANGED DURING THE DIVE
  • FUTURE DECO AND RUNAWAY DECO ALARM (PROPRIETARY)

Im wondering if there’s a better computer for me I have used a Scubapro Luna with transmitter from the start. There are things I love about it things i need that it meets and few things I hate.

What I hate I have thick forearms and the strap will not hold it in place it works itself down until it’s ready to pop off my hand or its spinning around and I have to use two hands to read it, the straps break if you look at it wrong. Casual diving not an issue lobster and spearfishing is when it likes to slip away.
Next it’s huge takes up a ton of space. I keep it on a retractor now, but it’s not something I cant really tuck away. I found my retractor came apart in my gear bag end of last trip, must have hung on something and its guts came out worries me some day middle of my dive it may happen and I’ll loose it. Im thinking about tying it to my BCDs inflator hose where it could be visable but not flopping around any more. But I don’t know if I can even see it from that angle. Any ideas here?

Things I like
Having my wife’s tank pressure right there as well as mine.
Im far sighted plus 3 now I need big numbers and figures
Its easy to navigate screens even with thick gloves I’ve used computers that are hard to switch screens period.
Battery replacement is super easy.
It does everything I need in a dive computer,

Im outfitting all of my children in gear this computer is more than adequate for any of them so its not like I’m replacing a fully functional dive computer because hundred dollar bills are falling out of the sky. However I’m wondering if there is a computer that I can actually see well enough that will cure what I dislike about this one. I use magnifying lenses but I still need big numbers funny just out past my arm I have good vision but anything closer is fuzzy.
In case the obvious is being overlooked - you say you use magnifying lenses. Gauge readers, or the whole lens? If gauge readers, can you go stronger? Usually +3 is the strongest. If your whole lens is a diopter for a near sighted diver, you may need to back off, or perhaps you are now in need of bifocals.

Well I asked the wrong question. I should have asked if any of you have a better way to strap it to my wrist. I went to order a set of the plastic bungee adapters listed above there at least 10 days or more out. I happen to know a guy who fabricates things like this in his sleep. At least when hes not having nightmares about working on cars. I going to come in and make them over the weekend. Thanks for that tip. I want it on my forearm up closer to my elbow ill incorporate a way to make it more adjustable for different conditions thanks a lot for that tip.

I am fine with every function of this computer and have no need to replace it if I can stick it to my arm without it flopping around or the strap breaking and I loose it.

with a plus 3 magnifier im still struggling with smaller letter the Scubapro display is fine all of our smaller computers are just to hard to read everything clearly especially in lower lighting the worst is in really low vis when the backlighting wont overcome it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom