Computers that DON’T revert to air setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic told me their computers revert to 21 percent oxygen from the gas mix setting you had it at , within an hour of surfacing or making the change. There’s no way to turn that off. Do any brands or models not do that? I know safety reasons.
shearwater, cressi, ratio, sherwood, diverite are the brands I've used. None of those change the gas setting without you telling it to. That was the case for the models I used - I don't work in diving so my experience with different gear is pretty limited.

Pretty sure even suunto doesn't have that problem.

Seems more like a bug than a feature, but I get the impression Oceanic disagrees.

Also, just a point of clarification on the behavior of the Oceanics. I checked the manual for the Veo 2.0, but given the menu and functionality similarities, I expect the same will be true for other Oceanics.

If using a Nx mix, the computer will revert to air after a certain time period on the surface. That time period varies depending if Nanny mode is turned on. Nanny mode is where it defaults to 50% O2, 79% N2. That can easily be turned off on pretty much all but some very old Oceanics. I was able to turn it off on my 2004 era PP2 (when I had it), my 2013 VT4.1, and my 2015 Veo 2.0.

If Nanny mode is on, and the computer is set to Nx, the computer will revert to Air for N2 calculations and 50% for O2 calculations after 10 minutes on the surface. If the computer is set to Air, it will remain set to Air until changed.

If Nanny mode is off, and the computer is set to Nx, the computer will retain the settings for the duration of activation (I believe that’s 24 hours for the Veo, but may be shorter for other computers). Upon next activation, it will be in Air mode.

Turning Nanny mode off is persistent, so should only need to be done once (if at all, I can’t recall if it was on by default, or off).

Aqualung i300c doesn't change back unless you tell it to :)

Just nope. No "Ummm..." about it. That's bad product design.

The engineers who didn't take real users into account when they designed the product.

As a product designer, if we see a situation where users are confused, or often make the wrong choice, we absolutely regard that as a failure of interface design. We’ve all seen products where simple procedures that should be transparent require consultation with a manual and a series of steps/ button presses that almost no one will remember. Or that act in some arbitrary and inconsistent way. Sure, it may be on page 47 in the manual, but basically it’s bad design and lazy engineering- and it isn’t limited to cheap products.

A big part of why we started making what eventually became the Cobalt computer was watching divers try to do something like set up a nitrox % and being unable to do so without digging out a many page manual. We felt strongly, and still do, that a dive computer’s basic functions should be clear and consistent enough to be understandable without referring to a manual, while on a rocking wet boat.

For us, logical consistency meant that whatever your dive settings were on the last dive (gas, conservatism, or any other parameters), ALL were maintained until you changed them. Change gas = change computer settings. Don’t change gas, the computer won’t change. Consistency is the key to good interface design. Users only need to understand one thing- the computer won’t change unless you tell it to.

As we are surrounded by more and more devices, good & consistent interface design becomes more and more important, and the position that users should just RTFM becomes less defensible. It's easy to not think too hard about the interface, do whatever requires the least effort, and push the responsibility onto the user. From a software engineering standpoint, it’s really hard to make something easy. But good design is what separates great products from everything else.

Ron

I know the cap was $500 or less (which was my budget when looking) but I ended up picking up a used Perdix AI for $650. I figured between a compass and the ability to add AI and grow it was worth it.

I see them from time to time for $700 ish. A nice analouge compass will be around $100, (and really it'll still be crap compared to a digital compass).

I really don't like fanboy bandwagons, but when it comes to Shearwater it's really hard not to be. If I had $500 I'd save a little more and shoot for a used Perdix / Perdix AI.

Just my 2 bubbles.

And I can't remember actually remembering to change the mix before jumping in... but maybe I nailed it once or twice.

Turning Nanny mode off is persistent, so should only need to be done once (if at all, I can’t recall if it was on by default, or off).

It only needed to be done once, or after reset. If one took too long to change batteries the computer would reset and put it back on. I always checked it after a battery swap.

I'm one that reads the manual, I went through feature by feature and set it up. I had no issue until I took too long to change the battery, and was in to much of a rush to go through the setup. It took a bit to figure it out, and had another user issue, now I reread the manual once a year, even on my new computer.

Sometime it is a function of the hardware what the software resets to.

In conclusion, six angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Incorrect, sir. When measuring a pin using a current model SEM, it was determined that in fact only five angels will fit. No more.

Incorrect, sir. When measuring a pin using a current model SEM, it was determined that in fact only five angels will fit. No more.
Your angels are bigger than my angels.

In conclusion, six angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Your angels are bigger than my angels.

What do you mean? African or European angel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom