Computers that DON’T revert to air setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Peregrine. I own a Peregrine (and a Perdix AI). Fantastic computers and they don't pull that "protecting you from yourself" garbage.

I like the Peregrine and it is a very respectable dive computer that keep up with your skills right through Adv Nitrox/Deco procedures. I did wish it came with AI, the compass I could live without. Still a great computer though.

Suunto Zoop (Original) does this after 2 hours or after they do not fly warning expires whichever is later.

Suunto Eon Core does not.

I had the first one happen the very first time I dove nitrox when I tested and labelled my tanks at the shop, set the right percentage on my zoop, drove to the boat, got to dive site and then in the middle of the Giant stride entry the Zoop Beeped and reset to air. Impossible to reset in my thick gloves so I just stayed well above my MOD.

Easy enough to avoid but you have to know about it first. This little detail was buried in a single sentence very deep in the manual and was very hard to find even when I was specifically looking for it.

Any for less then $500?

the Peregrine.... Shearwaters stay at whatever gas you set them to most recently. Any tech diver who says they have never gotten in on a dive and about 4-5 minutes in seen their Shearwater yelling at them for high ppO2 since they forgot to change it back is probably lying....

The oceanic tech lead confirmed they change back to 21 percent, at least In one setting. Maybe it’s the 50 OFF. Suunto is a good brand but with an overly conservative algorithm. Do some of them run a less conservative one? I feel that all dive computers should run several algorithms so you can stay in synch with your buddy who uses a different brand.
Still trying to keep it to the price I can buy a Apple tablet or decent windows laptop at : $500. Do the Garmins double as full featured GPS units above water? Do they have a SOS function?

Oceanic told me their computers revert to 21 percent oxygen from the gas mix setting you had it at , within an hour of surfacing or making the change. There’s no way to turn that off. Do any brands or models not do that? I know safety reasons.
No, if you make a nitrox dive.it will not reset for 24 h, the same dive series. If you do not dive, I believe it resets after two hours. Read your manual, it will help.

Oceanic told me their computers revert to 21 percent oxygen from the gas mix setting you had it at , within an hour of surfacing or making the change. There’s no way to turn that off. Do any brands or models not do that? I know safety reasons.
My Oceanic (OC1) does not do this. With FO2 set to OFF (as it should be), FO2 remains at the value set until changed. Here is the section from the manual:
upload_2021-7-27_18-0-7.png

My Oceanic would revert to 21% for N2 loading but 50% for O2. So none of it was right, but it would be "safe"

And yes. you can get a new Shearwater for under $500. Do that.

The oceanic tech lead confirmed they change back to 21 percent, at least In one setting. Maybe it’s the 50 OFF. Suunto is a good brand but with an overly conservative algorithm. Do some of them run a less conservative one? I feel that all dive computers should run several algorithms so you can stay in synch with your buddy who uses a different brand.
Still trying to keep it to the price I can buy a Apple tablet or decent windows laptop at : $500. Do the Garmins double as full featured GPS units above water? Do they have a SOS function?

Its a fully functional sports GPS watch if that's what you mean. As to the SOS functionality no, it isn't a EPIRB/PLB or anything fancy like that, just a GPS (so one way communication only) and obviously the GPS only works above water. But if you are trying to keep the price under $500, garmin Descents are far above that mark.

My Oceanic would revert to 21% for N2 loading but 50% for O2. So none of it was right, but it would be "safe"

And yes. you can get a new Shearwater for under $500. Do that.
50% O2 Off avoids that, surprised you would not have known about it. Again, read the manual, you'll be surprised what you will learn

Suunto is a good brand but with an overly conservative algorithm. Do some of them run a less conservative one?

The Eon's can be quite a bit less conservative than my original Zoop. You can adjust the conservativeness setting from +2 to -2

Eon Steel can run Buhlman 16 with your choice of GF

Back
Top Bottom